• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

Hmm... I can not decide...

What advantages does Quake Remasteres (Kex Engine) have over

QuakeDOS / 3DFX

Darkplaces (I Build the latest changes wit Msys)

EzQuake

Fitzquake / MarkV

JoeQuake / reQuiem

Quakespasm

RMQ engine

UQE (Ultimate Quake Engine)

Is there a list with differences to the engines.

So far, QDOS (3DFX) in Dosbox and Darkplaces is my favorite. No Idea what is better Quake Remastered.

39 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

"cl_hud 0" will make the hud disappear, 3 is the default. "r_drawviewmodel 0" will make the weapon disappear. I don't believe achievements are affected, I've been getting Steam achievements and have been playing in the console more than playing the game.

Thanks Lippeth, that works. I wasn't even thinking of hiding the weapon too.

vFEi1ny.jpg

1 hour ago, Marty2Doom said:

1. It's play out of the box, don't need to remplace .exe or download illegaly the soundtrack for the people that don't own the game on GOG or don't have the original CD.
  2. Accessibility, as it's more easy to make a co-op or DM map for friends. (EzQuake should do the same, if it was not so trouble some for me to create servers, as I just failed the last 2 trys to create a server to play with my friend, and I don't have the time of the world to know what net ports work on the routers of booths players.)
  3. Play Quake in different consoles, and with cross-play.
  4. Maybe will make more add-ons famous and people will try more Quake modding.

If you are playing DOTM, you will see some neat Kex-specific effects like advanced shadows cast from spinning fanblades etc and stained glass mirror effects. There's also some fog effects, but rather subtle. Those were the ones that I really noticed. In older addons, differences are not that huge compared to a setup with a port like QSS using watervis and colored lighting.

Guess the idea was to rather preserve the original looks in the old episodes while kicking into a much higher gear for DOTM. It's basically the showcase for the new features, which is also why I think it will take a while before the visuals of the new levels can be faithfully reproduced in other ports.

Btw, thanks for making a Chthon fight (in DOTM) that's finally somewhat challenging!

Edited by NightFright

23 minutes ago, Marty2Doom said:

QuakeDOS / 3DFX

Darkplaces (I Build the latest changes wit Msys)

EzQuake

Fitzquake / MarkV

JoeQuake / reQuiem

Quakespasm

RMQ engine

UQE (Ultimate Quake Engine)

So far, QDOS (3DFX) in Dosbox and Darkplaces is my favorite. No Idea what is better Quake Remastered.

It comes with the soundtrack out of the box without you needing to pirate it or rip it from a CD, you can play Quake on the go on Switch, you have multiplayer crossplay on every platform, etc.

Not to mention Bethesda is monitoring how well it does, so it also brings the possibility of either more Quake series remasters, or brand new Quake games.

7 hours ago, plynthus said:

This video shows very well in detail what's the problem with the analog dead zones and turn acceleration.

These added as options would be so helpful.

I also tried changing the dead zone settings through console on PC.

(in_joystick_laxisdeadzone from 0.24 to 0.1

in_joystick_raxisdeadzone from 0.265 to 0.13)

Already felt so much better!

Still very playable and so much fun even with the default settings. I've played through almost everything already.

I feel utterly compelled to bump this video already.

In the final or second to last level of episode 2 of Scourge of Armagon, I fell into a pool of lava with an invulnerability (the one found when you open that bridge and walk behind that skull picture. it is on top of a star). in the pool, if you go all the way to the beginning, a secret door opens up with an 100 health box. when you enter, the screen says something akin to The Levelmaster doesn't want you here! I heard about those being in the game, but I never thought I would find it. That was pretty cool! So far no glitches I've found on PS4, though I haven't been looking. 

I also have to say that the monsters in this game are adorable. besides the zombies and ogres, all enemies look like something out of a cartoon if they were cleaned up and there was no blood on them. The cutest are the Gremlins, Vores, and Shamblers. Somebody HAS to make a Mod for Quake with friendly shamblers, and they need to add it to the port. Maybe they could replace its attack with it throwing a bunch of rubber duckies at you, or a bunch of chocolate. 

4 hours ago, FireballCaco said:

Has anybody tried beating E4M6 on Nightmare without getting hit once? 

I did it. It sucked. Thankfully you can get hit while under the effect of a Pentagram and it won't negate the achievement. It helped for the elevator room with the three death knights.

When you get to the final area, just run like hell, defile the altar and rush to the exit like there's no tomorrow before you get slimed by the dozen or so spawn that drop in the room.

27 minutes ago, Chip said:

I also have to say that the monsters in this game are adorable. besides the zombies and ogres, all enemies look like something out of a cartoon if they were cleaned up and there was no blood on them. The cutest are the Gremlins, Vores, and Shamblers. Somebody HAS to make a Mod for Quake with friendly shamblers, and they need to add it to the port. Maybe they could replace its attack with it throwing a bunch of rubber duckies at you, or a bunch of chocolate. 

I'll just say you need to keep playing Scourge of Armagon... :)

The Levelmaster thing I think refers to Richard "Levelord" Gray who co-designed the last level of the second episode of Scourge of Armagon. He was also responsible for some awesome levels from Quake's main competitor at the time, Duke Nukem 3D. 

For me, the cutest are the Scrags and I dunno why.

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

Btw, thanks for making a Chthon fight (in DOTM) that's finally somewhat challenging!

That was my favorite part about Machines to the Past, I just wish the game didn't tell you right off the bat to use the lighting gun as I think it would of been neat to have figure it out based on knowing lighting was used to beat it in EP1 of the base game but I guess they did it for people that might be new or haven't played in a really  long time

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

I just finished Contract Revoked which ends with a fight against Chthon, and it was cheap as heck. You're constantly getting hit by projectiles you have no means of seeing coming while having to run and jump along numerous thin platforms suspended over lava pits. 

Note to Quake mappers: Putting highly damaging traps into your maps that are literally impossible to avoid is not good game design.

1 minute ago, [McD]James said:

Note to Quake mappers: Putting highly damaging traps into your maps that are literally impossible to avoid is not good game design.

Actually, that's a note to all mappers in general. 

Is it possible to have customisable downsampling like in Dusk and GZDoom? There is already a Resolution option but it only has High, which is the native resolution, and Low, which is way too harsh on the eyes, too low res, I find it unplayable. Can we have a modifier or an intermediate option that just halves the res?

What is this "weapon wheel makes weapons slower" bug some people are talking about? I use the wheel rarely but maybe I will bind it to the right mouse button and use it more often. Anything I should know?

16 minutes ago, VGA said:

What is this "weapon wheel makes weapons slower" bug some people are talking about? I use the wheel rarely but maybe I will bind it to the right mouse button and use it more often. Anything I should know?

On consoles (and PC if you're running at 60hz with vsync enabled (I think?)), closing out of the weapon wheel makes the game run a slightly slower speed, hence making weapons fire at a slightly slower rate. I believe it's due to how the weapon wheel slows down the game, as it isn't an issue in multiplayer as the wheel doesn't make the game slow down. I could record a video of this happening on Switch later.

4 hours ago, hfc2x said:

It comes with the soundtrack out of the box without you needing to pirate it or rip it from a CD, you can play Quake on the go on Switch, you have multiplayer crossplay on every platform, etc.

Not to mention Bethesda is monitoring how well it does, so it also brings the possibility of either more Quake series remasters, or brand new Quake games.

Ok.. the argument with the illegal reference does not apply to me now. I own the original retail version of Quake (PC and Amiga), and Mission Packs 1 and 2 including Shrak, Malice, Xmen etc ... Ripping the soundtrack doesn't take long. a few minutes. It took longer to download the game and i'm more a Singleplayer.

I'm looking for technical advantages / improvements over the ports. :)

14 minutes ago, Marty2Doom said:

Ok.. the argument with the illegal reference does not apply to me now. I own the original retail version of Quake (PC and Amiga), and Mission Packs 1 and 2 including Shrak, Malice, Xmen etc ... Ripping the soundtrack doesn't take long. a few minutes. It took longer to download the game and i'm more a Singleplayer.

I'm looking for technical advantages / improvements over the ports. :)

Bro, you have posted a huge list of ports. How can we compare?

What is the port you use or have used in the past? Does it have an underwater warp effect? How is the z-clipping? Does it support ambient occlusion? Do you have to enable liquid transparency through the console and also vispatch all the maps so entities can be seen properly across water boundaries? Are the enemy models enhanced?

9 minutes ago, mattjoes said:

Speaking of Spanish, I mentioned this before, but I repeat it here so as to gather the things I've noticed in a single post: In the Spanish localization, the titles for the save and load menus are misspelled as "Guarder" (instead of Guardar) and "Chargar" (instead of Cargar).

Never read it like that until you mentioned, now it's a thing of you can't unsee it now. xD

On 8/25/2021 at 8:41 PM, hfc2x said:

That aside, I've been playing mostly on Switch, because Quake on the go, baby. Although I think I've seen two things that I'm pretty certain are bugs:

1. The D-Pad hotkeys being reversed (in my opinion). Pressing up once selects the normal Shotgun, and pressing twice brings up the Double-Barreled. Same for the rest of the weapons. Why is it like this? It feels like it's reversed, considering you'd normally want to use the Double-Barreled Shotgun and Super Nailgun most of the time in a sudden fight. It's not really that fun to turn around a corner, get jumped by a Fiend, and pull out your lame starting weapon to fire back at it.
  2. Super Health pickups are respawning.. in single player. I don't really mind it, since I'm abusing the hell out of this, but it bothers me, because it's clearly a bug.

What episode / map did you observe #2 on?  The reason why I ask is because it may actually be a feature.  MGE1M1 has teleporters that respawn shotgun shells.  I'm not far into DOMA yet, but I didn't observe any of the power-ups respawning in DOPA.

8 hours ago, Cantleylads said:

I feel utterly compelled to bump this video already.

Most of the weirdness is from acceleration. This game does it differently from most popular shooters (Halo, CoD, etc.)

Halo and CoD has the stick aim generally be linear (with no accel over time) until your stick hits the left and rightmost edge. There is no acceleration in the Y axis.

Also, acceleration, instead of making your turning speed start from 0 and then ramp up to the stick's position (as in quake ex) it starts immediately from the stick's position and starts getting faster over time. In Halo it only does this when your stick is more than 90% to the left or right. In Call of Duty it does this more gradually from about 50%.

Basically this means most other games with turning accel over time have an immediate turning speed when slamming the stick all the way left and right. In Quake Ex if you slam the stick to the left or right you have to wait for the player to start turning. This is why Quake Ex's stick aim feels sluggish. Y-axis having its own accel makes it worse, making circular motions with the stick end up as square due to the speed ramping up from 0 whenever you cross axes.

-------

Also, you can move just fine with the weapon wheel open. You just don't immediately see the effect because time is slowed down, and the player takes a bit of time to build momentum.

11 hours ago, Marty2Doom said:

I'm not familiar with all of those source ports, so I'm going to provide you with a generalized list:

• It's available on consoles.
  • It supports online and split-screen multiplayer.
  • Online multiplayer is cross-platform.
  • You can add bots to DM matches.
  • It includes Scourge of Armagon, Dissolution of Eternity, and Dimension of the Past.
  • DOPA has a brand new secret level.
  • It includes a brand new mission pack.
  • The new mission pack is limit-removing.
  • You don't have to exit the game to change expansions.
  • There are a wealth of customization options.
  • There are a lot of subtle improvements, including higher poly models.
  • E2M6 now includes cut content.
  • The Court of Death / Acrophobia DM map from Quake 64 has been included.
  • The Edge from Quake II / Quake Arena Tournament Edition? has been included.
  • You can download and play curated add-ons.  (Again, without exiting the game.)
  • One of these add-ons is Quake 64, in its entirety.
  • The original soundtrack(s) for Quake (and its expansions?) is / are included.
  • There are achievements / trophies to unlock.
  • The asking price is low and it helps keep members of the DOOM community employed.

2 hours ago, Tarvis said:

Most of the weirdness is from acceleration. This game does it differently from most popular shooters (Halo, CoD, etc.)

Halo and CoD has the stick aim generally be linear (with no accel over time) until your stick hits the left and rightmost edge. There is no acceleration in the Y axis.

Also, acceleration, instead of making your turning speed start from 0 and then ramp up to the stick's position (as in quake ex) it starts immediately from the stick's position and starts getting faster over time. In Halo it only does this when your stick is more than 90% to the left or right. In Call of Duty it does this more gradually from about 50%.

Basically this means most other games with turning accel over time have an immediate turning speed when slamming the stick all the way left and right. In Quake Ex if you slam the stick to the left or right you have to wait for the player to start turning. This is why Quake Ex's stick aim feels sluggish. Y-axis having its own accel makes it worse, making circular motions with the stick end up as square due to the speed ramping up from 0 whenever you cross axes.

-------

Also, you can move just fine with the weapon wheel open. You just don't immediately see the effect because time is slowed down, and the player takes a bit of time to build momentum.

I am aware of all of this. I also watched the video. lol

I strongly dislike aim acceleration ('smoothing') in console shooters. I think Doom 2016 and Eternal are stand out examples of how needlessly crippling it can be.

Being able to disable it in this port would go a really long way, more so than customisable deadzones or tweaks to how the X and Y axis interact with each other. Being able to strafe jump with more precision would make a world of difference, especially online.

Now you've got me repeating info from the video I bumped as well lol

Good news everyone: I updated the proximity mine launchers model and texture to fit with the updated grenade launcher!

516844522_fixeddathing.jpg.b28d5ae13c243942456d937649958990.jpg

I'll share the PAK's when I get to fix the Disillusion of Eternity alt weapons. Though, I'd like clarification from anyone who worked on the port/models (Nightdive, id, et al.) on whether or not I can even share these models freely. Thanks

You can download the SoA model here and the DoE models here.

Edited by Wavy

I just discovered a fairly recent gameplay modification known as 'Copper'. It touts itself as a "Vanilla+" gameplay modification that makes numerous balance changes and tweaks to the core experience. And I think most, if not all of these changes are definitely for the better. There's a handful of maps that are designed to work exclusively with it (I'm playing Underdark Overbright 1.1 right now, which is amazing) and I highly recommend checking it out. 

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/copper_v1_16.html

https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/udob.html

20 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

I did it. It sucked. Thankfully you can get hit while under the effect of a Pentagram and it won't negate the achievement. It helped for the elevator room with the three death knights.

When you get to the final area, just run like hell, defile the altar and rush to the exit like there's no tomorrow before you get slimed by the dozen or so spawn that drop in the room.

I'm up to the Pain Maze now, and it's suffering. The spawns, the fiends, and the vores. I'm playing on Hard, so it's a hellhole.

44 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

I just discovered a fairly recent gameplay modification known as 'Copper'.

I just discovered Copper a few minutes before reading this, great timing. I downloaded 1.17 from their website, but am still reading about it before trying it. Something about putting a bunch of new loose files in the game folder is off-putting, but the features are intriguing for sure. I saw it while watching Dwars do a walkthrough with it on e4m4 because that map has always confused me. It didn't look like anything extra was loaded so I had to see what Copper even was.

10 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

I just discovered Copper a few minutes before reading this, great timing. I downloaded 1.17 from their website, but am still reading about it before trying it. Something about putting a bunch of new loose files in the game folder is off-putting, but the features are intriguing for sure. I saw it while watching Dwars do a walkthrough with it on e4m4 because that map has always confused me. It didn't look like anything extra was loaded so I had to see what Copper even was.

I didn't know that 1.17 existed, so good find on that. And there's no reason to ever worry about mods interfering with anything. Quake loads its resources by default from the id1 folder, with gameplay modifications existing in their own separate folders. 

I just don't like the clutter I suppose. It's more a matter of not being enthused about crtl clicking each file while looking at the date modified if I want to remove it.

edit: And of course I misread the instructions. No loose files at all, it gets its own folder. I need to stop sitting so far away from my screen.

Edited by Lippeth