Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

43 minutes ago, FireballCaco said:

I'm up to the Pain Maze now, and it's suffering. The spawns, the fiends, and the vores. I'm playing on Hard, so it's a hellhole.

So your saying its a maze full of pain? At least its not false advertising.

29 minutes ago, Lippeth said:

I just don't like the clutter I suppose. It's more a matter of not being enthused about crtl clicking each file while looking at the date modified if I want to remove it.

edit: And of course I misread the instructions. No loose files at all, it gets its own folder. I need to stop sitting so far away from my screen.

It says on Copper's website to load the mod via shortcut app with "-game copper" in the target line, otherwise, "this may lead to unwanted config state being carried over from other mods, leading to potentially unpredictable results". I've never heard of loading mods via console causing any unwanted config states being loaded, but using command lines in a shortcut isn't a problem. 

All I read at first was "Unzip the contents of the zip file into your /quake/ directory", immediately groaned and went to do something else. As soon as I read the rest of the sentence ", so that the /copper/ folder is alongside, not in, the /id1/ folder." I kicked myself for overreacting.

The config does usually carry over from the id1 folder to other mods, either by console or even when adding "-game /foldername/" to a shortcut as far as I know, but that's how I sometimes set up mods that I like to open quickly anyway so it makes total sense. I do wish there was a clear indicator that it even loaded correctly. I'm not as intimately familiar with the nuances of Quake the way I am with Doom, so it's going to take a bit before really noticing the gameplay changes.

Well now I know why I wasn't seeing Copper, because I didn't have it in the rerelease folder. I'm on a roll with the insomnia slow-brain lately.

Edited by Lippeth

2 hours ago, Devalaous said:

So your saying its a maze full of pain? At least its not false advertising.

A+ marketing.

@[McD]James@Lippeth

Thanks for posting the links to Cooper!  I saw sponge mention it earlier but I didn't know if it was a source port or what.  Most of the changes sound pretty good!  Makes me wonder if it'll wind up being an official add-on.

First time playing Quake, just finished original campaign, and dabbled with Quake 64. Here’s my impressions:

1) Wow, really feels like 3D Doom

2) Two campaigns by Machinegames! (The devs of the really excellent Wolfenstein games (TNO, TOB), and the really mediocre Wolfenstein game (TNC)?!) SOLD

3) Don’t care for those hopping monsters at the end

4) The Vore’s tracking missiles track a little too well

5) Secrets are easier to find than in Doom, I think

6) Every single trap hit me, often even when I know they’re there. It would be cool if they were a little more dodge-able
7) Monster designs were really cool except there’s a bunch of dumb knights running around. Wtf?

8) Quad Damage is fun, they should steal that and put it in Doom 

9) Did Quake 64 secretly rock? I played like every other N64 FPS and missed this one. 
10) Still not as good as Goldeneye though 

6 minutes ago, jamman39 said:

8) Quad Damage is fun, they should steal that and put it in Doom 

2016 called. It says "sure, alright then".

1 hour ago, KainXavier said:

@[McD]James@Lippeth

Thanks for posting the links to Cooper!  I saw sponge mention it earlier but I didn't know if it was a source port or what.  Most of the changes sound pretty good!  Makes me wonder if it'll wind up being an official add-on.

I can already say that without a doubt, Copper is one of the best gameplay modifications I have ever played. I'm extremely impressed by absolutely everything it has to offer. 

1 hour ago, Jayextee said:

2016 called. It says "sure, alright then".

I didn’t want to make the same ADS joke :)

19 hours ago, KainXavier said:

What episode / map did you observe #2 on?  The reason why I ask is because it may actually be a feature.  MGE1M1 has teleporters that respawn shotgun shells.  I'm not far into DOMA yet, but I didn't observe any of the power-ups respawning in DOPA.

Throughout the entirety of the base Quake campaign. Started noticing it in E1M6 (The Door to Chthon), where for reason, I kept finding Super Healths I was sure I picked up. I thought my memory was just playing tricks on me. 

By the time I started Episode 4, I began finding this really suspicious, so I picked up one Super Health (the one in the ramp hallway, which you open by bumping your head into a ceiling light), and waited for a while. Sure enough, it respawned. 

No idea whatsoever what's causing this. I played the game on normal difficulty, although I changed the difficulty after finishing Episode 1 on Hard. Switched to Normal for Episode 2 onwards, because playing with a controller really kicked my ass lol. But I'm sure it was happening on E1M6 anyways, way before I switched the difficulty. 

Playing through the campaigns in order on base PS4. Up to DoPa so far and I have some observations:

Pros:

- The new models are top-notch. Rarely do high-poly model replacements ever look any good, but the change is so slight that I didn't notice until I picked up the GL.

- The new lighting effects are great. Even better that they are toggleable.

- Everything in one place - no faffing around with command lines or shortcuts to jump between missionpacks (more a PC gripe, but w/e).

- Mods on console - haven't been this hype since UT3 on PS3.

- BOTS!

- SKIPPABLE VANITY PLATES!

Cons:

- Some pretty major frame dips on default settings when things get busy. Framerate is much more stable on Switch, even on MG1.

- None of the missionpack weapons have controller vibration or high-poly models, which is a bit jarring.

- CRT mode should be a togglable option.

- Audio is very quiet, especially the music.

- The weapon wheel feels like it should be mirrored, also it gets a bit crowded in there with the missionpack weapons.

All in all, great job, although the PS4 really shouldn't be struggling as much as it is. Still, got my LRG order in today for both, not missing out on a hard copy.

3 hours ago, jamman39 said:

7) Monster designs were really cool except there’s a bunch of dumb knights running around. Wtf?

Dude, like 1/3 of the game takes place in dark castles and dank dungeons lmfao

Big shoutout to Kaiser, Your level design is fantastic and I loved the big open areas and scenery. The expansion for Quake is a breath of Fresh Air.

Also thanks to whoever did the achievements I had fun getting them all.

One of the best remasters I've seen for any game, hats off to Nightdive :)

46 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Dude, like 1/3 of the game takes place in dark castles and dank dungeons lmfao

Don’t see how that makes them any less lame

1 hour ago, Bob9001 said:

Big shoutout to Kaiser, Your level design is fantastic and I loved the big open areas and scenery. The expansion for Quake is a breath of Fresh Air.

Machine Games did the expansion pack, not Kaiser.

I know I've already said stuff about deadzone settings for controller users but I think this is a nice video for criticism to improve this port just a bit more

Anyone else love how even the intro map to DimensionOfMachine is so resource heavy that the game's own engine can't even handle it on max settings?

Also, holy hell Dimension of Machine is BEAUT

9 minutes ago, StalkerZHS said:

Anyone else love how even the intro map to DimensionOfMachine is so resource heavy that the game's own engine can't even handle it on max settings?

3 hours ago, SR388 said:

I know I've already said stuff about deadzone settings for controller users but I think this is a nice video for criticism to improve this port just a bit more

[video snipped]

This video is a surprisingly great resource for anyone thinking about implementing gamepad control for first-person games. There's a lot in here that I never would have considered, but now wish was available in other games.

3 minutes ago, Lollie said:

This video is a surprisingly great resource for anyone thinking about implementing gamepad control for first-person games. There's a lot in here that I never would have considered, but now wish was available in other games.

yeah I feel like people always shit on controller for fps games, and while yes its not as graceful as a mouse, give controllers the best settings for a game and you can do a great many things still, tight and small deadzones, no aim acceleration for a steady aim, circular aiming instead of a cross shaped deadzone for a smoother feel, bullet magmatism and of course sticky aim can make an fps game feel just fine on controller. theres other vids out there that go into deadzones for controllers with more depth if your ever interested in learning more about it bro

Audio glitch regarding bosses:

Spoiler

I am experiencing a recurring glitch where the death sounds for the Guardian bosses in Dissolution of Eternity get stuck in an infinite loop that persists even after all the bosses are gone. Saving the game and then loading the save temporarily resolves the issue.

Man, going back to Quake 1 movement feels so weird. I feel slippery, I don't know how to describe it. 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Man, going back to Quake 1 movement feels so weird. I feel slippery, I don't know how to describe it. 

for me its always when I go on stairs in quake 1 haha, I forget it usually kills bhop momentum

People say that retro FPS movement is like being on rollerblades. Quake's probably the game that everybody thinks about, sometimes it feels like a rush of adrenaline.

As I was falling down to the secret exit of E3M4, the weapon model was all over the place, probably because of interpolation? Also, going up elevators is usually choppy, why isn't it smooth? Do I have to disable the gpu culling? 

And is it possible to have Copper as an addon we can enable and disable? I had forgotten how utterly broken the Vore projectiles are. How did they go from Revenant missiles to that cheap idiocy?

Gonna take a shot in the dark but I'm guessing the devs wanted to show how more advance Quake is over Doom and decided to show some of it by making the Vore projectiles more smarter then Revenant missiles. It would be neat if they had it behave depending on skill level, on easy make it like Revenant missiles and then scale it up with Nightmare having it be like it is now.  

4 hours ago, FireballCaco said:

People say that retro FPS movement is like being on rollerblades. Quake's probably the game that everybody thinks about, sometimes it feels like a rush of adrenaline.

I think that this Feeling comes more so, because the always run option is turned on by default.
In Doom for Example i was never and will never play with that as a standard.

In the Rerelease here i've got used to it, but i have choosen a Botton for "normal Walk" on the Switch, since sometimes it is really better to walk than run, just to be more precise.

Overall i lile the Movement of Quake 3 more.

Edit:
I still have Fun with Deathmatch on Switch :D
Got Second in a Match today, woohoo!