Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

31 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

Is it me or the status bar face isn't animated at all? Like Ranger glancing left and right on idle.

It was never really animated. It would change position or facial expression based on the damage that you've taken. But it wouldn't look around like the Doomguy. It was pretty much static in all of it's frames, they just changed based on damage. Or powerups that you've picked up.

At first I was worried I wasn't going to be able to play this when I saw the horrible shadow flickering caused by the nail guns. It took me a while to click that there was probably a way to fix it, and yes, turning off Dynamic shadows did.

Just curious if anyone else felt a need to. 

On 8/20/2021 at 6:14 AM, lazygecko said:

The audio engine is really weird for me. As soon as multiple sounds are stacked on eachother (especially bass heavy ones like explosions) it starts clipping like crazy and everything sounds very audibly distorted. Just what's going on with the mixing here?

I have the same problem. Even when I set the in-game sound effect volume to 1, there is still extreme distortion when multiple sound effects play (the infinitely-looping sound effect glitch I get with certain sounds doesn't help).

Here is an example I recorded during gameplay to show just how bad the distortion is (volume warning): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/uesn8blxio5gn3z/Quake_x64 2021-08-30 20-24-57-07.wav

Music is disabled, and the in-game sound effect volume is initially set to 1. I then gradually increase the sound effect volume to 10.

Yeah, Ranger has at most two frames for each of his states, "idle" and "having a giant metal spike driven through his torso", and only one frame for each powerup.

It looks, based on the Q2TEST files, like they experimented with directional pain faces for Quake 2 before resorting to a static health cross icon.

Quake-2-Test-HUD-Face.png.43f829d8161afa5b8bf47eba7d9080e8.png

A CSQC mod for the source ports that made the HUD face a bit more expressive would be pretty cool, but I don't envy anyone having to draw all the necessary Ranger faces.

3 hours ago, Kinsie said:

It looks, based on the Q2TEST files, like they experimented with directional pain faces for Quake 2 before resorting to a static health cross icon.

Quake-2-Test-HUD-Face.png.43f829d8161afa5b8bf47eba7d9080e8.png

Whaaat?!? :o

I did not know about that. Such a shame that they ultimately decided to scrap those.

I will say this for Quake Remastered, for the time being anyway, it's been great playing vanilla deathmatch on decently populated servers.  Really takes me back to high school when we'd have big shareware Quake matches on the school network.  Really wish a feature like that had been included in the Doom Unity ports, to be quite honest, but yeah, holy crap I had forgotten how fun good ol' classic Quake deathmatch was.

7 hours ago, hybridial said:

At first I was worried I wasn't going to be able to play this when I saw the horrible shadow flickering caused by the nail guns. It took me a while to click that there was probably a way to fix it, and yes, turning off Dynamic shadows did.

Just curious if anyone else felt a need to. 

I like dynamic shadows :D  

Hey, can anyone tell me what the shader recompilation console variable does if I change it from the default? Some people recommend it for improving the performance/stuttering.

23 minutes ago, FireballCaco said:

What does Ambient Occlusion do?

it adds those nice soft shadows between objects close to one another

Ah, alright. I sure hope they add enhanced models and rumble to the expansion weapons. It feels so wrong firing the laser cannon without rumble.

Edited by FireballCaco

Finally finished Dimension of the Machine on Nightmare difficulty. Wow, what a ride. It's amazing to witness all of the graphical and environnment variety that they could get out of the Quake engine. The basic setup of episodes kinda remind me of Amid Evil, whereas every episode look different from one and another. I guess I also lucked out in the order I did the episodes because the last 2 I ended up doing (Freemasons and Blacksmiths) were super brutal. The end fight in the Blacksmiths chapter will totally make you appreciate that Quad Damage they give you because daaaaaaaamn these numbers.

Machine Games did great on that expansion. Really enjoyed it a bunch.

what are the differences between og DOPA (2016) and enhanced DOPA (2021)?

only cosmetic changes? anything gameplay-wise?

25 minutes ago, Delfino Furioso said:

what are the differences between og DOPA (2016) and enhanced DOPA (2021)?

only cosmetic changes? anything gameplay-wise?

There's an additional secret level.

You know, unlike Lawbreaker...like he seriously quit Epic because they were making too many shooters, then he goes on to make another shooter which tanks horribly (though it seems to have a good soundtrack) and now he wants an old game of his to be remastered?

Maybe if Cliffy didn't tank his reputation he'd be able to remaster Unreal 1! 

The map E4M3 (The Elder God Shrine) really shows how broken the megahealth respawning is. Was it an intentional change, was this addressed?

Good to see that the zombie cemetery wasn't all glitchy and z-clipping all over the place like in my last playthrough a year ago ...

32 minutes ago, VGA said:

The map E4M3 (The Elder God Shrine) really shows how broken the megahealth respawning is. Was it an intentional change, was this addressed?

Good to see that the zombie cemetery wasn't all glitchy and z-clipping all over the place like in my last playthrough a year ago ...

Part of me wants to say so since I don't see it happening in the maps I been playing via the game command, but I think it might have been an oversight from testing as in they had it set to respawn when testing and they forgot to change it

For that new episode, Dimension of the Machine, have they modified the Welcome to Quake hub level? And added a 5th entrance?

The enhanced monster models look great.

Still not on GOG, but I did discover that I got Quake for free last year on Bethesda.net, and the remaster's there!

Just a reminder for anyone who got the Quake giveaway last Quakecon, and hasn't bought the remaster yet. You might already have it without knowing!

Really solid remaster, just enough hint of update without killing the game's character.

Played through Dimension of the Past. Solid episode, fits well with the originals. Dimension of the Machine is quite spectacular. Very creative maps.

I did observe another bug - not sure if it's mentioned in the thread already. During prolonged falls, the player's view kind of detaches from the weapon model. Almost like the weapon model is being affected by gravity differently.

i started the classic game on nightmare and noticed that your health would tick down to 50. not a fan actually. i think they also rebalanced the ogres? they seem to shoot a lot less grenades. at least it feels like it.

i also didn't find the nightmare entrance for dimensions of the machine, so i only play on hard. and man, that leveldesign is so genius. i love how their art direction managed to create something new and unique, yet base it on the idea of medieval fantasy mixed with sci-fi. at first i didn't like that the maps are a bit less abstract. but they're coherent with each other and overall it fits really well.

what i'd really like to see though are just some minor improvements to the hit feedback. little more blood, little more gibs perhaps. dynamic textures on the models to show impact marks. just something to make the combat a little more, i don't know, "meaty", "chunky"?! not like over the top brutal doom'ish. just some nuances.

5 minutes ago, zzzornbringer said:

what i'd really like to see though are just some minor improvements to the hit feedback. little more blood, little more gibs perhaps. dynamic textures on the models to show impact marks. just something to make the combat a little more, i don't know, "meaty", "chunky"?! not like over the top brutal doom'ish. just some nuances.

https://github.com/heinekev/lion_frikqcc27/tree/master/v106qc

Not up to parity to current version by any stretch, and will require some work but definitely doable there.

38 minutes ago, zzzornbringer said:

i also didn't find the nightmare entrance for dimensions of the machine

Check out the area near the Hard difficulty portal. There's a hole in the wall that you should go into.

14 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

For that new episode, Dimension of the Machine, have they modified the Welcome to Quake hub level? And added a 5th entrance? [...]

Nope, they did not. You can choose the new episode from the menu, though, just like DOPA. In fact, both DOPA and DOTM have their own start maps.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:42 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

Maybe if Cliffy didn't tank his reputation he'd be able to remaster Unreal 1! 

Screw that, gimme Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2 remastered

There's an update out but its a minor one, fixes lobby issues according to the patch notes on steam. 

12 minutes ago, Rexen² said:

There's an update out but its a minor one, fixes lobby issues according to the patch notes on steam. 

Got my hopes up for a second, still unable to log into Bethesda.net because I'm already logged in. Probably just trying to save me some embarrassment.

4 hours ago, Lippeth said:

Probably just trying to save me some embarrassment.

It's a not a bug, it's a new feature they're trying out called "Why willingly embarrass yourself?".