Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

20 hours ago, KainXavier said:

Thank you for getting back to me, and I'm sorry it took me so long to respond!  I don't recall running into the issue in DOPA but I did observe it at least once with DOMA.  (I can't remember the episode/mission, unfortunately.)  I'm going to play through the main campaign next so I'll keep an eye out for it.  (Xbox One X user, here.)

Just of note here, this happens to me on PC and on Switch. Seems to happen in every platform, but I don't have it on Xbox (yet anyways). VGA also posted about it here:

On 8/31/2021 at 8:19 PM, VGA said:

The map E4M3 (The Elder God Shrine) really shows how broken the megahealth respawning is. Was it an intentional change, was this addressed?

The megahealth issue keeps being mentioned, but devs already said a while ago this was fixed internally, i.e. it was not intended and will disappear with the first bigger update, whenever that will be.

If you are using the rerelease pak files without the Nightdive port (e.g. with Quakespasm), you can revert to normal behavior by copying a vanilla progs.dat into your ID1 folder (can also be from Copper), at least for the time being.

Here is something cool you can do on this new release of Quake! Quake 64 came onto the Nintendo 64 with deathmatch multiplayer but no cooperative multiplayer. Now you can set up COOP play for the first time! It requires a PC player to set up, but even console players can join in on the 64 fun. First part of the video below shows how to set it up, then the second part shows it in action.

Edited by Immorpher

On 9/11/2021 at 1:08 AM, NightFright said:

The megahealth issue keeps being mentioned, but devs already said a while ago this was fixed internally, i.e. it was not intended and will disappear with the first bigger update, whenever that will be.

I wasn't aware this had already been said.  Thank you for letting me know!

4 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Quake 64 came onto the Nintendo 64 with deathmatch multiplayer but no cooperative multiplayer. Now with you can set up COOP play for the first time! It requires a PC player to set up, but even console players can join in on the 64 fun.

That's awesome!  Hopefully, the remaster will be updated to allow co-op play for all add-ons.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:11 AM, Edward850 said:

Gee, fuck us I guess. :/

Ignore the complainers. Really solid remaster. I actually prefer it for general play to the ports myself especially with the really tastefully done graphics improvements. Especially like built in support for the expansions, plus the music there without any silliness.

been getting more into quake mapping recently. started using trenchbroom and enjoy the workflow quite a bit. this tool is so damn powerful. here's a recent shot of a new room in my new map. been struggling to find a proper ceiling texture. tried the bloody bones for the luls and turned out, i love it. you can also see how powerful the texture lock and uv lock options are in trenchbroom. these wooden panels on the ceiling are actually vertical on more than one axis and not in clean angles, but the uv lock keeps the textures nice in place. 

(also: any idea how to do screenshots in the re-release? or where are they saved? i have "screenshot" bound to f11 but it doesn't seem to do anything. this shot is done with the printscreen.)

quak.jpg.13e216f2056103bb47cff7bfb5a62bf2.jpg

God damn, they went and made nightmare really hard. I'm having a blast playing through it again, and really loving them Steam achievements as well.

8 hours ago, zzzornbringer said:

been getting more into quake mapping recently. started using trenchbroom and enjoy the workflow quite a bit. this tool is so damn powerful. here's a recent shot of a new room in my new map. been struggling to find a proper ceiling texture. tried the bloody bones for the luls and turned out, i love it. you can also see how powerful the texture lock and uv lock options are in trenchbroom. these wooden panels on the ceiling are actually vertical on more than one axis and not in clean angles, but the uv lock keeps the textures nice in place. 

(also: any idea how to do screenshots in the re-release? or where are they saved? i have "screenshot" bound to f11 but it doesn't seem to do anything. this shot is done with the printscreen.)

quak.jpg.13e216f2056103bb47cff7bfb5a62bf2.jpg

By default it should be F12 with Steam. You can then use "Show on Disk" button in the Screenshot Uploader window.

If you're out of the game, at the Steam Library, select View at the top left and then go to Screenshots from the dropdown window.

15 minutes ago, ZeroTheEro said:

By default it should be F12 with Steam. You can then use "Show on Disk" button in the Screenshot Uploader window.

If you're out of the game, at the Steam Library, select View at the top left and then go to Screenshots from the dropdown window.

thanks. i have bound "quit" to f12 in all my id games though. also, i have the steam overlay deactivated, so i don't think the screenshot would even work?! i didn't have the key bound anyways, because i usually don't like using steam screenshots.

nvm, found the screenshot folder.

"C:\Users\...\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake"

the game has screenshot bound to f12 by default. and i also bound quit to f12. funnily, the screenshot function doesn't get unbound. so, i've made a screenshot every single time i quit the game. i have 470 screenshots. :D there's no text notification that the game takes a screenshot. just the console displays it.

Why do I get little 180kb and 209kb "updates" for Quake in the Steam Downloads page?

11 hours ago, zzzornbringer said:

i have the steam overlay deactivated

But ... but ... then you can't tell when you get an achievement!

I was playing through the remaster and noticed a couple of minor bugs with mission pack 2 (DoE).

1- Guardian constantly plays his death scream after you kill him.

2- Impaled zombies have no animation for getting off spikes, they just vanish and then reappear on the ground.

I didn't see a bug thread in the steam forums so I thought they'd get more visibility here instead :p

That zombie thing: Does it only happen with the MD5s? I know the DoE has a few extra frames for descending from the cross and my bet is the MD5 version doesn't have that.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:24 PM, sponge said:

Thanks for all of this, this was pretty much on spot. It looks like we got rid of the original volume cvar multiplier when porting the audio system over, which caused the pre-mix volume to go from 0.7 to 1.0, which immediately started clipping all over the place. The 20% post-mix volume hack was trying to address why the game was so loud to our testers, and then I applied the same value to the music to be consistent.

In the next version, we added back the multiplier to the samples, hardcoded it to 0.4 to further avoid some clipping in the noisy areas of demo1, and then got rid of the volume scaling hack. This is at 0 music, 10 sound:

TApX0Sj.png

The overall sound level doesn't seem to overpower playing a YouTube video/my podcasts in the background, either. I might still tweak the pre-mix level, I don't think this is something we'd want to expose directly and instead rely on the current volume output slider, but just trying to stop "garbage in, garbage out" kinds of issues here.

I'm glad this issue is being looked into, it was one of the things that threw me off with this new remaster among other issues I have and reported to Kaiser hoping they can be rectified plus a few things that could be added or fixed. Other than these issues, I'm really liking this remaster and appreciate the work that went into it, it feels really nice to play Quake on a controller with rumble, runs fairly well even on my mediocre PC, and the mutliplayer has been for the most part been pretty smooth even with most of the enhanced visual settings cranked up. I'm hoping to try the GOG version too after picking the original Quake during the Bethesda sale. Any chance these issues I also noticed can be passed onto the dev team?

• The inconsistency with the gibbed enhanced models reverting back to the original modes.

• The enhanced enemy models sometimes appear to have their feet clipping into the ground at times.

• Falling at fast velocity appears to case the player's gun model to not keep up with the player falling.

Another bug: The achievment for finding the secret exit on Dimension of the Past doesn't trigger for me. I'm playing on nightmare and without cheats. Even saving and reloading right before the exit doesn't pop the achievement.

EDIT: Shit, I just read that mission pack has two secret levels >_< Disregard this post 😅

do you know this feeling? you have a rough idea and you just mess around a bit. and then you check it out ingame and immediately you feel, man, this looks way better than you could ever imagine. i mean, look at that. the rotation, the texture, how the light hits it. it looks like a texture that's meld with the wall. 

shot000.png.7b8fe4dabc236196a7e59274b34daf3b.png

On 9/10/2021 at 11:13 AM, [McD]James said:

Since 2019, the Copper mod has altered the Nightmare difficulty so that you have 50% health, rather than messing up the enemy AI. And no, I'm not sponsored by the Copper mod. 

Another person here who prefers this take on Nightmare. Making enemies shoot more doesn't really make a game like Quake more difficult, it's just more annoying. It may work with enemies like grunts and enforcers who are meant to die quick, but turret ogres and shamblers are just really silly (as well than utterly predictable).

Where is that 3rd party server/website that hosts mods? The one where you use a commandline option to add this unofficial addon's server url to make the game connect to it?

2 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

Another person here who prefers this take on Nightmare. Making enemies shoot more doesn't really make a game like Quake more difficult, it's just more annoying. It may work with enemies like grunts and enforcers who are meant to die quick, but turret ogres and shamblers are just really silly (as well than utterly predictable).

Especially with the Ogres in Ziggurat Vertigo, where they can barely hit you if you're standing next to them because they can't exactly close the distance.

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Where is that 3rd party server/website that hosts mods? The one where you use a commandline option to add this unofficial addon's server url to make the game connect to it? 

I don't recall where I saw it, but the command line argument is +ui_addonsBaseURL "https://q1mods.xyz/"

I'm very much digging the remaster on PS4. Haven't checked out multiplayer yet...I've seen complaints about it not using Quake World, so I don't know how much that impacts the experience. Dimension of the Machine, the brand-new episode, is fan-fucking-tastic, feeling very much in line with Arcane Dimensions. It's got a ton of depth and atmosphere, with strange environments that truly feel nightmarish, and which push the engine quite a bit. Also, since I have Quake on PC already through Steam, I got the remaster as a free update which is great. With some simple folder moving you can access mods through it using the console. However, not all maps will work and I find it a bit disappointing that there is a focus on free DLC like Quake 64, but the engine is not fully compatible with mods that are supported for Quake's most used source ports. Here are a few mental notes I've made while playing:

- Toggle-able effects like dynamic lighting, colored light maps, high-res models, ambient occlusion, etc., are excellent cosmetic upgrades that add a lot of spatial depth. However, I think it would have been cool if the dynamic lighting was used everywhere, so that models could slowly have a lightmap draped over them as they moved about, and for all objects to constantly project shadows, instead of just during attack.

- The new models look great and completely outdo the originals. Nightdive stayed completely faithful to each design while significantly elevating them.

- Can't help but wonder how it would have sounded if one of the enhancements was acoustic modeling. I don't know how far modern games are with it, but simulating sound bounce would to wonders for a game like Quake. There's a very sterile dryness to the sounds that feels appropriate, but in 2021 I find myself wanting to hear reverb simulation.

- Neither of the original mission packs that are included have HD lightmaps, transparent water or high res models for new weapons/enemies. I don't know if it was a priority or money thing or what, but it would have been nice for it to have been enhanced too.

- Despite my complaint about running mods on the PC being a bit hit-or-miss, the fact that I can play mods on the PS4 is exciting. It would be foolish if id didn't eventually include at least parts of Arcane Dimensions. I'm just about 100% doubtful we'll see the Saturn port added, which is a shame because it has exclusive maps, in addition to the originals being built differently since it was a ground-up project.

3 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

- Neither of the original mission packs that are included have HD lightmaps, transparent water or high res models for new weapons/enemies. I don't know if it was a priority or money thing or what, but it would have been nice for it to have been enhanced too.

My understanding is that Scourge of Armagon does have recompiled maps with the ericw bounce lights, fog etc., but that Dissolution of Eternity does not due to the original .map files going missing.

17 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

I'm very much digging the remaster on PS4. Haven't checked out multiplayer yet...I've seen complaints about it not using Quake World, so I don't know how much that impacts the experience.:

Just look for the Ping and you'll have Fun :)

Especially at the Evening you'll find Games in your Hemisphere.

So far i played mostly on the Switch.

Now that the Switch supports Headphones over Bluetooth i'll play more befor going to Bed.

Any word on whether lighting will be given another pass, so that it's all closer to the original release?

On 9/16/2021 at 7:44 AM, xdarkmasterx said:

2- Impaled zombies have no animation for getting off spikes, they just vanish and then reappear on the ground.

Would you be able to give directions as to where we could find this exactly?

I can tell you that the zombie model in DoE has ten additional frames (#198-207) in animation "cruc_" compared to the id1 version which make it descend to the floor from its crucified position. It's used at least in one map afaik.

Yes, but it's which map and where is the detail I need. The data wasn't important, it's testing it that's relevant.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

Yes, but it's which map and where is the detail I need. The data wasn't important, it's testing it that's relevant.

In r2m5 there's an outdoors area near the end of the map that leads to a room, if you follow passage to the right there's a dead end room with impaled zombies.

In r2m7, if you enter the castle hug the left wall you'll eventually come to a door leading to a room with some more of them.

Also, I can confirm it only happens with enhanced models enabled.

I hate to bring this to this Steam thread's attention, but I think someone moderating the Quake Steam forums should do something about these douchebags getting triggered over Bethesda's name whenever they see their name with Doom or Quake. It's like these idiots are still bent over the Doom I and II DRM incident despite that has been ancient history now.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2310/discussions/0/5064850575739468557/

Edited by AmethystViper