Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

I finally started a full playthrough of this on my Switch and it's so GOOD! Of particular note for me is how well it handles with motion controls. Looking forward to digging into the extras once I've completed the base game. Fantastic work, Nightdive!

On 9/29/2022 at 12:10 PM, Kinsie said:

Here's That Tweet, with an interview with That Worch.

EDIT: Update 4.1 patch notes. Improved handling of the Accessibility stuff plus some minor bugfixes.

This looks great, thank you guys so much for all these, considering the price of Quake it's so nice you continue to add content and updates so regularly, the latest AAA titles generally are not as well looked after.

Just wondering, is there's any chance of seeing Arcane Dimensions join the add-ons one day. Hands down my favorite Quake mod.

14 hours ago, Wyrmwood said:

is there's any chance of seeing Arcane Dimensions join the add-ons one day.

As I understand it, not really - there’s too much content from too many authors across the years, and some of the maps are too much for the port to handle.

41 minutes ago, Faceman2000 said:

As I understand it, not really - there’s too much content from too many authors across the years, and some of the maps are too much for the port to handle.

Ah I see, makes sense. Nevermind, still got Quakespasm on PC for that and plenty of content for my Switch, thank you both for the response and your continuous work.

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

Not to mention that Arcane Dimensions also contains many Hexen 2 assets, most notably the monster roster

51 minutes ago, Wyrmwood said:

thank you both for the response and your continuous work.

Hey, don’t thank me, I’ve got nothing to do with the port - @sponge is the one responsible for the addons I believe and the wonderful teams at Nightdive and MachineGames gave us the port. But I’m happy I could help answer your question!

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Not to mention that Arcane Dimensions also contains many Hexen 2 assets, most notably the monster roster

I didn't realize, not got round to Hexen 2 yet, I assumed they were custom to the mod, yeah obviously not getting this.

Does anyone else still have performance issues with the remaster? Even after a year, I'm still getting choppy framerates using the Vulkan renderer, like the fps nosedives if I look in any direction. I would assume it's an issue with Vulkan, but Quake is the only remaster on my laptop that has it this bad. 

31 minutes ago, Eddie 2077 said:

Does anyone else still have performance issues with the remaster? Even after a year, I'm still getting choppy framerates using the Vulkan renderer, like the fps nosedives if I look in any direction. I would assume it's an issue with Vulkan, but Quake is the only remaster on my laptop that has it this bad. 

Turning off motion blur fixed that for me, but also my laptop is old.

Just now, Faceman2000 said:

Turning off motion blur fixed that for me, but also my laptop is old.

I think I have it off, but I can probably check and see if it helps.

I checked and it can't be motion blur since I still get the issue with it off, unless motion blur stays on in some way regardless of the setting. I did get a temporary error code, and the game pooped itself so hard that Steam CTD'd. The unfinished DirectX11 part of the remaster performs much better, but I doubt that part will have it's own issues fixed anytime soon.

EDIT: Forgot to include the error code, it only appeared once for me:

2022.10.01-12.18.png

EDIT 2: I figured I'd look in the console for any weird stuff and this is what I found:

Spoiler

2022_10.01-13_08.png.003983d197a34bca497902566dc320f8.png2022_10.01-13.08_01.png.60d3c51ffd4357f7ab915887bfd29250.png2022_10.01-13_09.png.3f04fa9b1aa3f1ed28059e20fb100663.png2022_10.01-13.09_01.png.810fc485c9a2f24452a806ea969d88e1.png2022_10.01-13.09_02.png.7b34c1cfa09a67229cde7d7a1be5e0d9.png

Edited by Eddie 2077 : Added info

i have to say the switch version is perfection

i had low expectations coming from the doom ports with does not let you make simple changes like the controls (and the aim kinda sucks)

but quake remastered has no right to be THIS good and from all fps games i played on the switch i think it has the most responsive aim

highly recommend it

@Dweller Vulkan losing the device unprompted is a pretty good sign your drivers are the cause of the issue, as is usually the case.

17 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

@Dweller Vulkan losing the device unprompted is a pretty good sign your drivers are the cause of the issue, as is usually the case.

Do some AMD drivers have issues with the remaster? I have AMD R7 graphics, but my drivers are Adrenalin 2020 (and they seem to auto-update). I'm a little bit curious about if the remaster requires more than 512mb of VRAM, as that's the VRAM I have.

It shouldn't but we have had issues reported of past games with <1GB VRAM before (though these weren't graphical issues but the games just running out of VRAM with all the effects work turned up), and such a small amount of VRAM as well would to me suggest a legacy card which could also mean that you're basically on driver life support and AMD aren't updating its API support. We have similar issues with a selection of legacy Intel chipsets that report compatibility but don't produce anything close to sane results.

2 hours ago, Dweller said:

Do some AMD drivers have issues with the remaster? I have AMD R7 graphics, but my drivers are Adrenalin 2020 (and they seem to auto-update). I'm a little bit curious about if the remaster requires more than 512mb of VRAM, as that's the VRAM I have.

Your Radeon sounds integrated.

If BIOS supports it, try changing UMA to 2 GB.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

Your Radeon sounds integrated.

If BIOS supports it, try changing UMA to 2 GB.

The last time I tried to, I wasn't able to find the setting for it. But I can try again either way.

Just now, Dweller said:

The last time I tried to, I wasn't able to find the setting for it. But I can try again either way.

It depends on the motherboard and may be called UMA size/Aperture size.

1 minute ago, Dweller said:

Is there any way to identify the motherboard without having to open up the laptop?

He means in the bios settings. You don't have to open anything up to configure the bios.

I couldn't find anything that mentioned UMA in the BIOS, only these options and some other recovery/device options:

Startup Repair

Startup Settings

Command Prompt

Uninstall Updates

UEFI Firmware Settings

System Restore

Then what you see is what you get. However as noted before, I don't think this is a memory issue anyway, but a legacy driver issue. You could try reporting it to AMD and see what they make of it, given the ball is already in their court.

29 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Then what you see is what you get. However as noted before, I don't think this is a memory issue anyway, but a legacy driver issue. You could try reporting it to AMD and see what they make of it, given the ball is already in their court.

I sent a report with their bug tool, hopefully they fix it. Also, I wanted to apologize if I seemed rude to you before concerning the issue. It just really frustrated me and still does that I'm not able to play the Quake remaster properly, and the "easiest" workaround (fixing up the DirectX11 renderer still in the game) to the performance issues I have will likely never happen. But I do respect you for the work you do on Nightdive and other projects, though. 

9 minutes ago, Dweller said:

Also, I wanted to apologize if I seemed rude to you before concerning the issue.

Not at all. You've been respectful and understanding from my perspective. Especially compared to someone on Steam trying to argue with me about how NAT works. :V

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

Not at all. You've been respectful and understanding from my perspective. Especially compared to someone on Steam trying to argue with me about how NAT works. :V

I try to be respectful and understanding when my personal issues with frustration don't get in the way, but I'm glad you had the perspective you did on it. 

4 hours ago, DoomGater said:

And again... no Linux. Did Nightdive drop their Linux-support completely?

Playfab does not have a native Linux client so we couldn't even if we wanted to. Also frankly our actual Linux builds of each game have always been hell for us to maintain, and proton has been a more stable ABI for us anyway so just use that.

7 hours ago, DoomGater said:

And again... no Linux. Did Nightdive drop their Linux-support completely?

iirc Quake was one of the first games to have official Proton support, so it should work fine on Linux. idk

Edited by Herr Dethnout