Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

Even if we wanted Linux support it would be up to Bethesda to order it for this game. When you do a project as a contractor you provide what the contracting party pays for, not whatever you feel like doing. The plain fact of the matter is that Bethesda has no testing, distribution, or support frameworks for anything on PC other than Windows.

Proton or Wine are just helpful workarounds. Like a crutch for a broken leg.It works, but is not the real thing.
I as a Linux gamer simply don't care who has to order a port. Fact is, as long as there is none, they don't get my money.

7 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Proton or Wine are just helpful workarounds. Like a crutch for a broken leg.It works, but is not the real thing.
I as a Linux gamer simply don't care who has to order a port. Fact is, as long as there is none, they don't get my money.

Well if you don't care why did you ask if we dropped Linux support? Technically we have not. Kex is highly portable. What's always a pain however is getting anything built for Linux and there's nobody on our team currently that specializes in it. But that's irrelevant for this project because it's Bethesda's decision. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

I can totally see a future where PC game development targets windows exclusively but the audience exclusively plays on linux

Edited by segfault

11 minutes ago, segfault said:

I can totally see a future where PC game development targets windows exclusively but the audience exclusively plays on linux

It'll have to be after I'm dead then lol.

As a Linux gamer, I gave money to support what is obviously a good product, but then just use Quakespasm since its native on linux.

Nightdive has no reason to do extra work that they're not even contractually obligated to do. And I'm sure Bethesda wouldn't even let them release a Linux version if they did make one.

I love Linux, but the last thing I expected Indie/Smaller devs to do is spend extra time and money for a much much much smaller audience. I'm just happy we have a way to play Windows games at all.

It would be cool to see one day the original Team Fortress as an add-on for the remaster. I only know TF Classic and TF2, but never played the original. It would be a great opportunity to release it with bot support, right?

Or can it already be played with good bot support?

Been playing it on Switch and it's great, although there seems to be some form of memory leak? Sometimes I see a lot of frame hiccups and stuttering that goes away after restarting the game.

3 hours ago, dustarma said:

Been playing it on Switch and it's great, although there seems to be some form of memory leak? Sometimes I see a lot of frame hiccups and stuttering that goes away after restarting the game.

That's not what a memory leak is. Memory leak is when you keep allocating resources but never free them after they are used, eventually resulting in running out (i.e a crash). Though no I have no explanation for what you are encountering.

18 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Of course not.
Some people are convinced, that earth is flat and covid is a lie.

I'm sorry but that has to be the worst comparison I've ever seen. It's also frankly incredibly rude, given ultimately you aren't the one having to maintain software for the platform, they are and their experience is obviously important. As much is our own. You can't demand people who are experiencing these issues to just... Not, especially when they are the ones who are doing the work.

8 hours ago, DoomGater said:

Of course not.

Whether you like it or not, there is definitely some truth there.  While, as someone who distributes Linux binaries, I think the situation in general is overblown, it is definitely true that distributions have held the view that the world can be rebuilt on a whim which means that compatibility is needlessly worse than it could and should be.  I can certainly see how it would be particularly frustrating for someone who doesn't specialize in the topic.

23 hours ago, Kyle07 said:

It would be cool to see one day the original Team Fortress as an add-on for the remaster. I only know TF Classic and TF2, but never played the original. It would be a great opportunity to release it with bot support, right?

Or can it already be played with good bot support?

There are two issues with adding official support for QWTF, as I understand it.

The first issue is permissions: I believe TF in general is under Valve’s purview nowadays, but there’s also individual permissions for maps and assets that need sorted. Robin Walker is still at Valve and the other two creators haven’t fallen off the face of the Earth, but they didn’t make everything in QWTF - it was one of those classic it-takes-a-village mod scene setups…

The second is that the console version of the Quake Remaster has to be catered to, and to be blunt: QWTF has a shitload of new key binds that have to be given a sane, intuitive gamepad setup. That’s a big, questionably-plausible ask.

18 hours ago, Edward850 said:

That's not what a memory leak is. Memory leak is when you keep allocating resources but never free them after they are used, eventually resulting in running out (i.e a crash). Though no I have no explanation for what you are encountering.

I explained already a similar problem in the DOOM Unity thread: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2560770

YouTube reviews claimed, that Quake runs with 60 FPS on Switch. But it feels like for me that there are some random stutters during gameplay.

I play Quake on Switch in Multiplayer with all Enhancements turned off and with the old models from the 90s. I wonder if the game will run worse with all Enhancements on and with Gameplay on the Machine Games Maps?? And I have these stutters even during offline play with bots.

1 hour ago, Kinsie said:

There are two issues with adding official support for QWTF, as I understand it.

The first issue is permissions: I believe TF in general is under Valve’s purview nowadays, but there’s also individual permissions for maps and assets that need sorted. Robin Walker is still at Valve and the other two creators haven’t fallen off the face of the Earth, but they didn’t make everything in QWTF - it was one of those classic it-takes-a-village mod scene setups…

The second is that the console version of the Quake Remaster has to be catered to, and to be blunt: QWTF has a shitload of new key binds that have to be given a sane, intuitive gamepad setup. That’s a big, questionably-plausible ask.

Oh I see.

I think another issue would be, that QW is not included in the remaster. So it would be maybe even not compatible with "Vanilla" Quake.

Okay, then I will try to run somehow TF with ezQuake and try to find some servers or bot mods, if any exist.

16 hours ago, Blzut3 said:

Whether you like it or not, there is definitely some truth there.  While, as someone who distributes Linux binaries, I think the situation in general is overblown, it is definitely true that distributions have held the view that the world can be rebuilt on a whim which means that compatibility is needlessly worse than it could and should be.  I can certainly see how it would be particularly frustrating for someone who doesn't specialize in the topic.

Aquisition of compatibility -or -portability-  is one thing. Adding more and more layers of abstraction
and virtualizations, adding just another box to the box-in-a-box and sell this as a benefit is another matter, which I disrespect.

Figured I might ask about this.

Back in 2020, as a means to celebrate the then-upcoming QuakeCon, Bethesda decided to make the Quake series up to Q3A free for certain periods. I grabbed the first game and kept it somewhere else, uninstalling my Bethesda Launcher sometime later and not bothering again with it. Given that Bethesda Launcher has recently been discontinued back in April-May, I don't suppose there is any way I can migrate my account to Steam as of now (not that it matters much anyway, I only have Q1 on my Bethesda Launcher account).

Or can I still migrate and get the remastered version on Steam after that?

People talking how cool is the remaster and such... But me playing with Quakespasm Spiked cuz it seems that the remaster only supports DirectX 11, Vulkan and Opengl above 2.1.

F for me, at least QS accepts the remaster content (Except the translated strings) and now only need to find a way to download the Q64 addon heh :I

18 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Back in 2020, as a means to celebrate the then-upcoming QuakeCon, Bethesda decided to make the Quake series up to Q3A free for certain periods.

I lost the opportunity to get Quake 2 and 3 for free?!

i want to die!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

I lost the opportunity to get Quake 2 and 3 for free?!

Meh. My internet connection went bust at the time, days after I got Q1. N̶o̶t̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶f̶o̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶Q̶2̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶m̶u̶l̶t̶i̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶w̶a̶y̶.̶

On 11/9/2022 at 3:03 PM, DoomGater said:

Aquisition of compatibility -or -portability-  is one thing. Adding more and more layers of abstraction
and virtualizations, adding just another box to the box-in-a-box and sell this as a benefit is another matter, which I disrespect. 

Wine and Proton are a more stable platform to run precompiled binary software than most of Linux userspace.

That's not a Proton problem, a Wine problem, or a software developer problem.  That's a GNU/Linux Desktop problem.

1 hour ago, Herr Dethnout said:

People talking how cool is the remaster and such... But me playing with Quakespasm Spiked cuz it seems that the remaster only supports DirectX 11, Vulkan and Opengl above 2.1.

It doesn't support OpenGL and I don't know why people keep saying it does. It has never been true. It has to support more modern graphics APIs because it also has DirectX12 (Xbox), GNM (PS4) and AGC (PS5).

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

It doesn't support OpenGL and I don't know why people keep saying it does. It has never been true.

It doesn't? Well, I suppose that it explains why doesn't work when I tried to switch the render to OpenGL lol

I'm enjoying DOTM with the remaster, Quake has such a brilliant atmosphere. The one issue I have is popping/crackling with certain sounds like a lift moving or wind blowing. It can be sort of obnoxious in some places. Does anyone know something I can try to fix this? I'm using Windows 10, Sound Blaster Z sound card, and headphones plugged in.  

3 minutes ago, pantheon said:

I'm enjoying DOTM with the remaster, Quake has such a brilliant atmosphere. The one issue I have is popping/crackling with certain sounds like a lift moving or wind blowing. It can be sort of obnoxious in some places. Does anyone know something I can try to fix this? I'm using Windows 10, Sound Blaster Z sound card, and headphones plugged in.  

Usually such a thing is because you have audio enhancements enabled for your sound card in your systems settings.

8 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Usually such a thing is because you have audio enhancements enabled for your sound card in your systems settings.

No luck with disabling this unfortunately. Also tried changing 16/24 bit and 44/48khz playback settings. Maybe at some point I'll try the onboard audio and see if there's any difference.

17 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It doesn't support OpenGL and I don't know why people keep saying it does. It has never been true. It has to support more modern graphics APIs because it also has DirectX12 (Xbox), GNM (PS4) and AGC (PS5).

We could still technically do OpenGL with the most bleeding edge extensions but we didn't because 1. GL drivers are slow, 2. GL drivers are buggy (looking at you Intel and AMD especially), 3. the compatibility profile would be no better than Vulkan, and 4. it's just a million lines of extra code you can get rid of instead of being a huge maintenance burden. Just following in the footsteps of engines like id Tech 7 to get rid of it.

On 11/11/2022 at 7:18 PM, Herr Dethnout said:

F for me, at least QS accepts the remaster content (Except the translated strings) and now only need to find a way to download the Q64 addon heh :I

There is a Q64 mod on moddb.com. It was released after the Quake remaster, but it is stated that the work on the mod began way earlier then the release of the remaster: https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-64-for-pc

Another question: I connected yesterday my Nintendo Switch Pro Controller with my PC and recognized that the remaster on PC does not support Gyro Aim. Is there any way that this could be added to the remaster via an update? It would be nice to have dualshock 4, dualsense and Switch Pro supported.

In that way I would have continued my Playtrough of Dissolution of Eternity on PC.