Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lazygecko

Quake Remastered

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, AmethystViper said:

I hate to bring this to this Steam thread's attention, but I think someone moderating the Quake Steam forums should do something about these douchebags getting triggered over Bethesda's name whenever they see their name with Doom or Quake. It's like these idiots are still bent over the Doom I and II DRM incident despite that has been ancient history now.

 

https://steamcommunity.com/app/2310/discussions/0/5064850575739468557/

I'm just gonna point and laugh tbh

Share this post


Link to post

Seems the person cannot access the multiplayer because of a Bethesda.net account/connection problem. Seems like a legitimate complaint, even if it's poorly worded.

 

Anyway, where's the patch at? :D

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, VGA said:

Anyway, where's the patch at? :D

 

Probably delayed by consoles, as releasing anything on these takes forever, and requires approval by who knows how many people down the chain.

There was a time when releasing patches on PC was simple and immediate. Now with these multi-platforms games, not anymore: it has to be released on x platforms all at once with the marketing and heavy processes that go with it...

Share this post


Link to post

I have never played the expansions. Scourge of Armagon feels a lot like Doom in 3D, when it comes to the gameplay and the general pace and feel of the techbases. More than the original campaign did. The scripting sequences are the exception, those bring it closer to the singleplayer fps of the 90s.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, as of today I’ve finally beaten Quake. I’d bought it on Steam a couple years ago but just could not get into it back then. DosBox wasn’t any fun and I had trouble getting a source port set up to my liking.

 

This release, however, was a godsend. The game looks and feels fantastic and I’ve had a lot of fun playing through it. Thanks a ton to the guys at Nightdive, @sponge, and everyone else involved. I’ve absolutely loved this and look forward to future addons.

 

Next stop, Scourge of Armagon!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Quite obscure definition bug I found in HIPDM1:

One of the Spike Mines coming from the tube spawner has a wrong definition - instead of "classname", it's labelled "d", which surely isn't doing anything. This most likely prevents one of the mines from appearing.

 

Corrected .ent code:

{
// "d" "func_spawn_small"
"classname" "func_spawn_small" // Wrong classname fix
"origin" "-384 296 1256"
"spawnclassname" "trap_spike_mine"
"spawnflags" "2304"
"spawnfunction" "trap_spike_mine"
"spawnsilent" "1"
"target" "7778"
"targetname" "7777c"
}

 

Edited by NightFright

Share this post


Link to post

I hate to say this but I don't see much improvement regarding the console controls. I've disabled the aim accel and smoothing (as I do in all console shooters) and it's still rough. The way precision is inhibited reminds me of the controls in the Quake 2 port for Xbox 360, only at least that was merely a bonus disc for Quake 4, making it's poor thumbstick controls somewhat acceptable. Seems like it's a coincidence that they both happen to be Quake ports.

 

I stopped playing shortly after launch in hopes that this would be addressed. I feel very disappointed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Cantleylads said:

I hate to say this but I don't see much improvement regarding the console controls. I've disabled the aim accel and smoothing (as I do in all console shooters) and it's still rough. The way precision is inhibited reminds me of the controls in the Quake 2 port for Xbox 360, only at least that was merely a bonus disc for Quake 4, making it's poor thumbstick controls somewhat acceptable. Seems like it's a coincidence that they both happen to be Quake ports.

 

I stopped playing shortly after launch in hopes that this would be addressed. I feel very disappointed.

 

We've been getting rather favourable reports from people regarding the changes, so in this situation you may be alone in this viewpoint and there will be no sort gamepad controls that will ever satisfy you. Just stick a keyboard and mouse into your console, given that's now supported.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Just installed the update on my Switch and I encountered a bug: If you set the left or right stick deadzone to the lowest (5) in the options, It gets stuck and doesn't allow you to increase it any higher than 6.

 

But I must say, I'm really happy that the weapon wheel speed bug was fixed. Now I can go back to using that as opposed to using previous/next weapons on the shoulder buttons.

Edited by Wavy

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Can anybody tell whether the new weapons in SoA and DoE and the DoE Zombie with its additional animation have been added? (At first glance, it doesn't look like it.)

Edited by NightFright

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Edward850 said:

We've been getting rather favourable reports from people regarding the changes, so in this situation you may be alone in this viewpoint and there will be no sort gamepad controls that will ever satisfy you. Just stick a keyboard and mouse into your console, given that's now supported.

 

Admittedly this was an in-the-moment hot headed post. I suspected it might be just be a 'me problem'. It definitely feels better with smoothing disabled IMO, but still not great. I shall tinker with the settings more. Maybe the aim accel is needed in this case.

 

I shall experiment more.

 

As for mouse and keyboard, that's awesome. Good call. As for me, the only reason I play console is because I have good ol' carpal tunnel.

Share this post


Link to post

I installed the update too, but I still have the same issue I had before (although fps in the Quake hub map was fine, loading into the first level made the fps choppy like before). Given the changes in the update (disabled GPU culling, specifically), it has to be an issue or incompatibility with my laptop at this point. I do have a theory that it's related to my GPU, as mine is 512mb and the system requirements list a minimum of 1GB for VRAM. But all the good sourceports are compatible with the content, so I've got an alternative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, NightFright said:

Can anybody tell whether the new weapons in SoA and DoE and the DoE Zombie with its additional animation have been added? (At first glance, it doesn't look like it.)

I just checked, and there have been no changes to the new expansion weapons, new expansion enemies, the missing frames for the DoE enhanced Zombie, the super quiet and incorrectly recorded Q64 music, the head gibs, and such and so forth.

Edited by Revenant100

Share this post


Link to post

This is so nitpicky it may as well be pointless to mention, but I was recently emulating Quake N64 and noticed that compared to the original game the water in Kex is too bright and the skies, particularly the red sky you see on level 2 is washed out compared to its very vibrant color in the original. I could be further nitpicky and be like "why no censored NIN nail boxes, or horribly compressed audio like the borderline muted nailgun firing sound" but I think that's going a little above and beyond for what was simply an inclusion of the maps and an honestly really amusing filter that does a great job at presenting a typical N64 game for modern audiences. Still, it's weird how off some of the brightness and colors are in some places, I don't expect it to be a priority whatsoever but just thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

I just checked, and there have been no changes to the new expansion weapons, new expansion enemies, the missing frames for the DoE enhanced Zombie, the super quiet and incorrectly recorded Q64 music, the head gibs, and such and so forth.

As I thought, then. These would have probably taken too long to make and would have delayed the update release. Maybe next time.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/8/2021 at 4:28 AM, Edward850 said:

We've been getting rather favourable reports from people regarding the changes, so in this situation you may be alone in this viewpoint and there will be no sort gamepad controls that will ever satisfy you. Just stick a keyboard and mouse into your console, given that's now supported.

 

One of the issues I'm experiencing with the aiming is how if you slightly deviate from turning precisely left or right, you will suddenly be aiming diagonally. It's hard to explain. Fine aiming is also difficult, almost as if the game registers micro movements on the thumbstick as a weighty push - regardless of sensitivity or exponential accel.

 

Screenshot_20211010-015821_YouTube.jpg.dfdb5fd5913eb482f844a6ec0a206acd.jpg

 

The screenshot is a response I received from EternalDahaka on YT, who uploads videos solely about controller support on PC ports of console games. I am way out of my depth here but I hope what he is saying makes sense?

 

He is working on a video which will hopefully explain what I'm experiencing with the game, regardless of what settings I'm using. Something is fundamentally off with the aiming right now, I strongly feel. Perhaps it is indeed just a matter of perspective and nothing more but the least I can do is give feedback.

Edited by Cantleylads : Added screenshot reference

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cantleylads said:

One of the issues I'm experiencing with the aiming is how if you slightly deviate from turning precisely left or right, you will suddenly be aiming diagonally. It's hard to explain. Fine aiming is also difficult, almost as if the game registers micro movements on the thumbstick as a weighty push - regardless of sensitivity or exponential accel.

We aren't acceleration the stick, so honestly this just strikes me as a fundamental limitation of gamepads that you seem to be noticing. There is nothing more we can strip away or add at this point, quite frankly, unless you have some programmer in mind with some kind of engineering degree relevant with gamepads, but honestly that sounds expensive. There is only so much time we can dedicate to reinventing the wheel on this sort of thing.

 

Basically what I'm getting at is you seem to be getting into an area of input theoretics far and beyond what's conventional to design, and it's not as if anyone gives us an API for this sort of thing. Gamepad API gives us a value, we turn it into a turn speed, that's all we've got.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Edward850 said:

We aren't acceleration the stick, so honestly this just strikes me as a fundamental limitation of gamepads that you seem to be noticing.

 

Quote

The directional issue is from them deciding to restrict diagonal movement for whatever reason, but not rescale those angles so you just loose them

 

No, as what I am experiencing is not an issue in any other modern console FPS, as if there is something not right that is necessary. I am way out of my depth here, so I hope that someone who understands what's going on under the hood can explain what I am experiencing from a user's perspective, such as the guy who's comment I posted via the screenshot. His YT channel name is EternalDahaka.

 

It's not as if I'm disappointed that I haven't been handed the moon on a stick, so to speak. I'm not some impossible to please user with unreasonably high standards and expectations. There is absolutely something missing that makes console shooters feel reasonably good to control. I wish I could say something more useful.

 

I'm acutely aware of the position I'm putting myself in, criticising something I know nothing about, amongst countless users that haven't reported any negative feedback.

 

Still, I can absolutely feel the huge improvement to all other aspect of the controls, which I feel makes the present issue I have stand out like a sore thumb.

 

I will wipe my save file so I can see the default controls. Maybe that will help mask the problem somewhat.

 

As always, thanks for taking the time to read our messages and respond to so many. I absolutely love the port in every other way and since I can no longer use mouse and keyboard due to RSI, a console port of Quake means a hell of a lot to me.

Edited by Cantleylads

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Basically what I'm getting at is you seem to be getting into an area of input theoretics far and beyond what's conventional to design, and it's not as if anyone gives us an API for this sort of thing. Gamepad API gives us a value, we turn it into a turn speed, that's all we've got.

 

I don't think what's going off is necessarily that complex from what I can gather, at least from reading the message from the image I posted, by someone who knows what they're talking about (unlike me) but as I mentioned before, I'm out of my depth, I'm merely a user.

 

Apologies for the double post, don't know how to edit another quote into an existing post using a phone.

Share this post


Link to post

Next-Gen Update is out on Xbox Series and PS5. That means support for 120fps and 4k on consoles.

 

The Xbox Series version also includes Xbox Play Anywhere (for sharing saves etc. with the Windows 10 version, I guess?), while the PS5 version includes deeper integration with the DualSense controller's capabilities. 

Share this post


Link to post

Any chance for the high framerate interpolation to be improved? Playing at 144FPS feels incredibly jerky and not at all like like how source ports handle it.

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, dustarma said:

Any chance for the high framerate interpolation to be improved? Playing at 144FPS feels incredibly jerky and not at all like like how source ports handle it.

I play at 155hz and I can't say I've noticed anything being "incredibly jerky". Would you be able to do any sort of video showing this alleged problem?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

I play at 155hz and I can't say I've noticed anything being "incredibly jerky". Would you be able to do any sort of video showing this alleged problem?

 

Will do

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Edward850 said:

I play at 155hz and I can't say I've noticed anything being "incredibly jerky". Would you be able to do any sort of video showing this alleged problem?

 

I tried my hardest to create a video that would show this, working with 120FPS video is a pain (OBS can't do 144 FPS recording), I slowed the footage down to 1/4th but I don't know if the interpolation weirdness is gonna come across properly, I would've liked to record demos directly but I don't know what version Quake Ex supports and there doesn't seem to be a record demo command, demos from vkQuake aren't compatible.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubOjy4D7ynw

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, I'm not exactly sure I can see what you're apparently seeing in that video. Everything looks normal?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×