Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

I finally beat Quake for the first time!

I'd thought of playing Quake in the past week or two, and after "reinstalling" Quakespasm and getting it to work with Steam, I finally did it! For the most part, I did one episode a day except today, doing episodes 3, 4, and the final level. I'm not entirely sure why I took screenshots of each episode's ending, but I did, so I'll put them here. Might take a break from any Quake stuff, maybe get back to Doom 2, but I intend to complete both mission packs!

2310_20210812150608_1.png.3547d6d15b4c72cbc814053c49483b77.png2310_20210812181431_1.png.755120e46ed09fb92342864b19f4b2ae.png2310_20210813152007_1.png.3ab70b9f222b2d818be574de1025c49b.png2310_20210813200813_1.png.d1f1ef04eb2329684e2bdba1c0c61f48.png2310_20210813200908_1.png.aad9051bbb6ba668dce65cce75fc04bc.png2310_20210813201209_1.png.1bd827ee4452f010323c334d0ca63501.png

Congrats, it's still my second favorite game of all time. It loses steam, but it's still really well made for the most part. Sorry about Shub N'gguraths lair though. That was really anti-climactic.

your 4th picture repeats. Nice Job! Quake is a great game! I can't wait to hear more about this "Revitalized Edition" they were talking about on another thread. 

Back on topic...

that's awesome that you beat it! What difficulty did you play on? How did you like it? Better or worse than DOOM? 

2 minutes ago, Jello said:

Congrats, it's still my second favorite game of all time. It loses steam, but it's still really well made for the most part. Sorry about Shub N'gguraths lair though. That was really anti-climactic.

Thanks, and although Shub's Pit was barely a challenge, it felt like a reprieve from all the hecticness that came before it. Given that the way to the teleporter is narrow and claustrophobic, with nail traps on the walls, putting some Hell Knights and other melee enemies would have made it much more challenging. 

13 minutes ago, Chip said:

your 4th picture repeats. Nice Job! Quake is a great game! I can't wait to hear more about this "Revitalized Edition" they were talking about on another thread. 

Back on topic...

that's awesome that you beat it! What difficulty did you play on? How did you like it? Better or worse than DOOM? 

Thanks, and I played on Normal! I definitely enjoyed it, the monsters were a pain in the ass but most of them felt unique and challenging to fight (fuck the Spawns tho), and the levels are confusing and complex but I like how well they work with the enemies featured in them. Past the first episode, there were plenty of times where I ran out of ammo or was low on health, and had to figure out alternatives to things. Ended up tricking the vores in Azure Agony into dying from their own vore missiles just to finish it with like 34 health. Managed to hit a Hell Knight with a vore missile in one level too. I'd say it's a little bit better than Doom, considering that enemies are naturally faster and agile, but I'd still put Doom above Quake if I had to rank them in any way.

As for the pictures, the 4th and 5th pictures are different, but the text might be hard to read. One talks about the Rune of Elder Magic, and the other one is basically saying that since you have all the runes, you can go and face Shub now. But they both have the same backdrop.

18 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

Thanks, and although Shub's Pit was barely a challenge, it felt like a reprieve from all the hecticness that came before it. Given that the way to the teleporter is narrow and claustrophobic, with nail traps on the walls, putting some Hell Knights and other melee enemies would have made it much more challenging. 

Thanks, and I played on Normal! I definitely enjoyed it, the monsters were a pain in the ass but most of them felt unique and challenging to fight (fuck the Spawns tho), and the levels are confusing and complex but I like how well they work with the enemies featured in them. Past the first episode, there were plenty of times where I ran out of ammo or was low on health, and had to figure out alternatives to things. Ended up tricking the vores in Azure Agony into dying from their own vore missiles just to finish it with like 34 health. Managed to hit a Hell Knight with a vore missile in one level too. I'd say it's a little bit better than Doom, considering that enemies are naturally faster and agile, but I'd still put Doom above Quake if I had to rank them in any way.

As for the pictures, the 4th and 5th pictures are different, but the text might be hard to read. One talks about the Rune of Elder Magic, and the other one is basically saying that since you have all the runes, you can go and face Shub now. But they both have the same backdrop.

If you do go for another playthrough, I would skip Hard and go to Nightmare. On Hard, most enemies with both a projectile and melee attack will just spam the hell out their projectile and ignore their melee. I'm speaking primarily of the Ogres and Hell Knights. On Nightmare, they will still run at you while spamming projectiles, but they'll at least try to close the distance so they can use their melee attack. On hard, they just stand still and use their projectile attacks.

Honestly I've found Nightmare to be generally easier than Hard in Quake. It's tough, but fair. Whereas Hard mode is just irritating.

Nice.

I really should get around to playing Quake eventually. Already know a lot about it just cause it's doom adjacent.

16 minutes ago, BaileyTW said:

Nice.

I really should get around to playing Quake eventually. Already know a lot about it just cause it's doom adjacent.

Oh yes. Yes you should. As I said, it's my second favorite game. And it and Doom have been in a dead heat for decades. It works well, it plays well, and it's had an amazing community since it came out. You should definitely play Quake. If you do, I would recommend Quakespasm-spiked as a source port for a close to original feel. There's Darkplaces if you want all the fancy accoutrements, but Quakespasm should serve you just fine unless you're trying to play a mod that requires Darkplaces.

But yes, you should play Quake.

Oh, and @DavetheDoomguy I do highly recommend the mission packs, some of the best expansion packs I've ever played. I do prefer Scourge of Armagon since it's a bit closer to the original gameplay, but Dissolution of Eternity added some amazing things to Quake. Specifically the advanced mobility for brushes using the node/target system. No longer were you stuck having doors open horizontally, they could open any way you wanted! The first time I saw a working clock hand in Dissolution of Eternity, I was speechless. And the games were pretty damn good too. I was just amazed at what was done in those mission packs when they came out. Now it's not that impressive, but the leaps and bounds that were made over the original Quake were amazing at the time.

Edited by Jello

9 minutes ago, Jello said:

Oh yes. Yes you should. As I said, it's my second favorite game. And it and Doom have been in a dead heat for decades. It works well, it plays well, and it's had an amazing community since it came out. You should definitely play Quake. If you do, I would recommend Quakespasm-spiked as a source port for a close to original feel. There's Darkplaces if you want all the fancy accoutrements, but Quakespasm should serve you just fine unless you're trying to play a mod that requires Darkplaces.

But yes, you should play Quake.

I used Quakespasm for my playthrough, works perfectly apart from some texture glitches, and found a way to get it to work with Steam Overlay and the playtime thing (you have to delete Winquake and rename the Quakespasm exe to "Winquake", then start through Steam or the shortcut Steam provides). The game doesn't come with the music, so you'll have to find somewhere to buy it or download it and follow whatever guides you can find to get it working. This guide helped with it, but it's a couple years old at this point: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732999296

18 minutes ago, Jello said:

Oh, and @DavetheDoomguy I do highly recommend the mission packs, some of the best expansion packs I've ever played. I do prefer Scourge of Armagon since it's a bit closer to the original gameplay, but Dissolution of Eternity added some amazing things to Quake. Specifically the advanced mobility for brushes using the node/target system. No longer were you stuck having doors open horizontally, they could open any way you wanted! And the games were pretty damn good too. I was just amazed at what was done in those mission packs when they came out. Now it's not that impressive, but the leaps and bounds that were made over the original Quake were amazing at the time.

I own both of them since I heard good things about it, got Dissolution of Eternity when I got Deus Ex and Strife the other week and already owned Scourge of Armagon. I know how to switch to them in the console, but I was curious how saves work with that. Would I need to make Quakespasm run SoA or DoE instead of Quake, or do the saves work even if I use the console?

17 minutes ago, DavetheDoomguy said:

I used Quakespasm for my playthrough, works perfectly apart from some texture glitches, and found a way to get it to work with Steam Overlay and the playtime thing (you have to delete Winquake and rename the Quakespasm exe to "Winquake", then start through Steam or the shortcut Steam provides). The game doesn't come with the music, so you'll have to find somewhere to buy it or download it and follow whatever guides you can find to get it working. This guide helped with it, but it's a couple years old at this point: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=732999296

I own both of them since I heard good things about it, got Dissolution of Eternity when I got Deus Ex and Strife the other week and already owned Scourge of Armagon. I know how to switch to them in the console, but I was curious how saves work with that. Would I need to make Quakespasm run SoA or DoE instead of Quake, or do the saves work even if I use the console?

I would recommend just doing it the old fashioned way and having separate folders in your Quake directory, one called hipnotic for Scourge of Armagon, one called rogue for Dissolution of Eternity, and making two separate shortcuts to Quakespasm, one with -game Hipnotic and one with -game rogue at the end in the target line. That way it'll keep the games and their saves in separate folders.

At least that's how we did it back in my day, and it still seems to work just fine.

The target in the shortcut should look similar to this:

"F:\Quake Clean\quakespasm-spiked-win64.exe" -game rogue

And this is also the easiest way to load any custom content that you download for Quake. Put it in it's own folder in your Quake folder, and just create a new shortcut and add the "-game" line to the target. Time used to be that you had to do this in the DOS prompt, and add -winmem 16 to it if you wanted most user made content to work. I'm looking at you, Neil Manke. So this is really easier.

1 minute ago, Jello said:

I would recommend just doing it the old fashioned way and having separate folders in your Quake directory, one called hipnotic for Scourge of Armagon, one called Rogue for Dissolution of Eternity, and making two separate shortcuts to Quakespasm, one with -game Hipnotic and one with -game rogue at the end in the target line. That way it'll keep the games and their saves in separate folders.

At least that's how we did it back in my day, and it still seems to work just fine.

The target in the shortcut should look similar to this:

"F:\Quake Clean\quakespasm-spiked-win64.exe" -game rogue

And this is also the easiest way to load any custom content that you download for Quake. Put it in it's own folder in your Quake folder, and just create a new shortcut and add the "-game" line to the target. Time used to be that you had to do this in the DOS prompt, and add -winmem 16 to it if you wanted most user made content to work. I'm looking at you, Neil Manke. So this is really easier.

I'm a little confused, what exactly are the target lines? Where are those?

Alright, hope this is relatively explanatory. I didn't realize just how badly my contrast is when it comes to highlighting things in screenshots.

So first off, go into your Quake folder, mine is in F:/Quake Clean

I have another Quake folder, but it's the one that I've used since 1996, so there's quite a bit of crap in there.

You should have your id1 folder, and with the mission packs you should have a Hipnotic and Rogue folder in there, I installed them in my default Steam directory and then copied them into my Quake folder, doesn't really matter how you get them there, they download as individual folders and you can move them where you please. Just make sure they're in your base Quake folder.

m3vz0EQ.png

Then, right click on your Quakespasm.exe and select "Create Shortcut", and just make a shortcut, name it whatever you want, doesn't matter.

K5DhONJ.png

Then right click on the new shortcut, and select "Properties" at the bottom.

o18yh7e.png

And then just add the the folder of the game/mod you want to play at the end of the target line:

TWGu2Ob.png

So since in this case I wanted to play Dissolution of Eternity, I just added -game rogue

If I wanted to play Scourge of Armagon, I would add -game hipnotic

So it looks like this in the target line: "F:\Quake Clean\quakespasm-spiked-win64.exe" -game rogue

I hope that makes sense.

13 minutes ago, Jello said:

Alright, hope this is relatively explanatory. I didn't realize just how badly my contrast is when it comes to highlighting things in screenshots.

So first off, go into your Quake folder, mine is in F:/Quake Clean

I have another Quake folder, but it's the one that I've used since 1996, so there's quite a bit of crap in there.

You should have your id1 folder, and with the mission packs you should have a Hipnotic and Rogue folder in there, I installed them in my default Steam directory and then copied them into my Quake folder, doesn't really matter how you get them there, they download as individual folders and you can move them where you please. Just make sure they're in your base Quake folder.

m3vz0EQ.png

Then, right click on your Quakespasm.exe and select "Create Shortcut", and just make a shortcut, name it whatever you want, doesn't matter.

K5DhONJ.png

Then right click on the new shortcut, and select "Properties" at the bottom.

o18yh7e.png

And then just add the the folder of the game/mod you want to play at the end of the target line:

TWGu2Ob.png

So since in this case I wanted to play Dissolution of Eternity, I just added -game rogue

If I wanted to play Scourge of Armagon, I would add -game hipnotic

So it looks like this in the target line: "F:\Quake Clean\quakespasm-spiked-win64.exe" -game rogue

I hope that makes sense.

Thank you, I got the shortcuts figured out and added them to my desktop under "Quake Scourge of Armagon" and "Quake Dissolution of Eternity" for easy identification!