Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DerTimmy

(TC) Space Cats Saga 2.0 (Update 3.0) (finished)

On 6/30/2022 at 5:24 AM, Cyclone-Sama said:

I had a funny idea that the Nazis could be Dog-Mens with Bulldog like heads and when they die they just howl

nah i will not change them. that they are vanilla is the secret.

Update 2.62 is live!
-new Mancubus Skin
-QoL improvements
-New Main Menu
-new "Pause" Logo
-Yeaskas Shotgun shoots now automatic
-It fixes the Mapstart of Map "Black Soul Horde" (50B)
-fixes yaeskas grenade damage and balances the melee laser weapons

-fixed Heatbar bug

Update 2.71 released!

-The last Map in "Battle for Tangraan" added

Map62 "Those once loyal"

There are 2 new Bosses in this Map.

-The whole Arsenal got tweaks and new sprites. aemi got a new SSG.

Are you ready?! Beast Queen Sill gets unleashed on December 9.

Update 2.8:
-New Class
Beast Queen Sill
-New Arsenal
9 new weapons to pulverize the demons
-New Episode "Queens Gambit"
5 new Maps to rip & tear!

This will be the end of the Space Cat´s Journey.

This mod is seriously so good lol. Really impresses me every time I boot it up. Great custom levels AND plays well with other maps too. Pretty much everything is custom and super polished and looks, sounds and plays great, even the menu. Also, I don't think I've ever had a single error or oddity with this mod which isn't always the case when this much is changed. This might be the end of the Space Cat's journey but man alive I can't wait to see what you work on next! Anything planned you can share?

22 minutes ago, nickxcom said:

This mod is seriously so good lol. Really impresses me every time I boot it up. Great custom levels AND plays well with other maps too. Pretty much everything is custom and super polished and looks, sounds and plays great, even the menu. Also, I don't think I've ever had a single error or oddity with this mod which isn't always the case when this much is changed. This might be the end of the Space Cat's journey but man alive I can't wait to see what you work on next! Anything planned you can share?

still going to add some stuff to this. maybe some (standalone) companions. want to beef up my two bosses (the flower monster and bastyber (tangraan map 3)) and making some nicer sprites for a few things. changing yaeskas lmg to akimbo laser weapons next. and add the remaining stuff to the gallery.

my next project would be upgrading the kirie.wad (for the doom catto - kirie natsuyuko; you can find her on twitch)

but my own project would be something standalone on gzdoom and not some kind of boomer shooter. i have a few concepts but nothing to share. sry

Update 2.85 is live!

-Yaeska Arsenal Overhaul
new Rocketlauncher and Chaingun replacement
-Tweaks and fixes to all explosions
-rebalanced Berserk attacks
-huge Gallery Update
-new Secret Map

So when there's more than a 1000 enemies on the map even before the they spawn the game lags so much that it just goes to 1 frame making the last few levels of Chapter 2 not fun, I'm not sure why, I have pretty powerful PC and it was struggling so much that I had to use the Kill Monsters command to keep the game stable

1 hour ago, Cyclone-Sama said:

So when there's more than a 1000 enemies on the map even before the they spawn the game lags so much that it just goes to 1 frame making the last few levels of Chapter 2 not fun

That's definitely weird. I just played through the last four maps and seldom saw it dip below 60fps. Usually when everything exploded at once after using the BFG with the Nashgore plugin. Are you running any other mods on top of Space Cats Saga?

17 hours ago, Dominic Tarason said:

That's definitely weird. I just played through the last four maps and seldom saw it dip below 60fps. Usually when everything exploded at once after using the BFG with the Nashgore plugin. Are you running any other mods on top of Space Cats Saga?

Just these

Untitled.png.b0d6e1b3f62b518d22ffd5bd18829673.png

Just finished playing through this. Took me over 2 weeks to finish the whole thing. It has some goods, some bads, and some "why"s for sure, but overall this is one of the most impressive megawads I've seen in a while.

The good:

- The characters/weapon mods for each character are fantastic, weapons feel super good, all of them have altfires which benefit different scenarios. The first character's arsenal felt the best to my tastes, but playing as Sill was very unique and I like how each of her weapons fit different situations.

- Maps look good and mostly play well. There's almost no bullshit moments, and the combat feels smooth and rewarding.

- The maps give off the impression of the mapper improving as they were making the wad, with each episode having more solid maps than its prior.

- Good environmental storytelling aspect, which I'm a big fan of.

- Fun and rewarding secrets to hunt.

- No unskippable cutscenes!

The less good:

- Maps tend to drag on way too long, especially in later episodes. Episode 2 was a drag at the latter half, I felt like I played 4 "final" maps in a row.

- Some custom enemies are annoying as hell (looking at you, laser hounds).

- Some of the above mentioned 30+ minute long maps tend to have a track that loops every 60-90 seconds that can drive you insane at some point. Consider replacing some of the 1 minute or less loop songs please. There are some wonderful longer midis that can fit the longer maps and make them more enjoyable to play.

- I expected the wad to be a little more plot driven, considering there's an entire blurb of lore that you can access from the main menu. The maps just feel like Doom maps for the most part.

The "Why?"

- Stealth Archviles. Or Stealth enemies in general. Cheap, tacky, belongs in early 2000 zdoom wads.

- Episode 3 threw me off real hard. By the time I played E3M3 and saw it had 3000 enemies, I didn't know how much more I could take. Imagine my surprise when I realized it's the final map of the episode, and E4 was mostly short and punchy. It just feels weird in terms of map consistency, and E3M3 felt like playing an entire episode in one go.

There is also a really annoying bug at the last map of the 4th episode - I think some of the "gate bosses" don't appear in Normal difficulty. I teleported into an empty room and it really threw off the immersion, where I sadly had to noclip to get to the final part of the map. (The gates that you need to shoot that open in that storage area).

All in all, a very enjoyable experience, and a fantastic weapon mod+megawad that gave me a unique playthrough that I won't forget for a long time.

Keep up the great work, and I hope to see more from you :)

On 2/26/2023 at 11:48 AM, Cyclone-Sama said:

Just these

Untitled.png.b0d6e1b3f62b518d22ffd5bd18829673.png

Yeah, that'd explain it. No fault of Space Cats Saga.

It's probably the headshots mod that's the most likely responsible, but the game is already a total conversion. Running a full dozen mods stacked on top of that is just asking for trouble.

On 3/1/2023 at 6:58 PM, Dominic Tarason said:

Yeah, that'd explain it. No fault of Space Cats Saga.

It's probably the headshots mod that's the most likely responsible, but the game is already a total conversion. Running a full dozen mods stacked on top of that is just asking for trouble.

I actually did test if it were other mods affecting the game, I even got rid of Nash Gore and it was still dropping

On 2/26/2023 at 10:12 PM, Terminus said:

Just finished playing through this. Took me over 2 weeks to finish the whole thing....

thank you for your review of this.

yes this was a project to learn to mod/map for (gz)doom. the maps in ch2 became way to big at some point.

i had all the lore and stuff before making this but i only took some characters from my story and put them into this. didnt want to make this a lore heavy mod. the gameplay should be fast and without interruptions (and no reloading bs).

tried to stay close to doom balancing so it can be played with other maps. would had been much more bonkers if it would be standalone.

currently working on some smaller mods; dont know if i want to do something big like SCS again.

dont know where the fps drops come from. dynamic lights? i dont have a too powerful pc and it ran smooth most time. maybe gzdoom shenanigans oO?

Thank you for making this, I enjoyed almost every moment I played it.

But of course there is some job to do. As mentioned above, some maps are too long whereas other ones are short. It would make more sense in more story-driven mod with some NPC interaction on shorter maps and more gameplay on longer ones. Anyway, I like your big maps. It gives me "where the hell am I"-feeling I remember from playing original Doom as a child. And I can see a huge progress between the episodes.

Also, some weapons feel a little useless. I avoided electric analog of rocket launcher and used it only as the last resort. It just makes not enough damage while you still can damage yourself.

Cannot wait your next work. There is a lot of potential for more maps with new skills you learned, new more complicated classes and gameplay features, as well as lore development.

20 hours ago, Suitepee said:

https://youtu.be/FFwMWPZzrnY = part 1 of my playthrough.

https://youtu.be/5QNI8IrGLSU = part 2.

https://youtu.be/3nMFbZY3_88 = part 3.

https://youtu.be/JwqmD_wFb9k = part 4.

https://youtu.be/9vEexaQnh-8 = part 5.

https://youtu.be/qAXMz6ozCJ4 = part 6.

So yeah, I think this deserves a Cacoward in 2023.

holy moly wasnt expecting this much praise o.o was never going for some award or something

but thank you for your playthrough john :)

was actually going to post that im working on the last update space cats will get (3.0). after all the playthroughs/vods/clips ive seen im pretty sure that this runs pretty stable. i already worked on some fixes/changes in the last few days. but i wont be changing any map structure

- Lux rocketlauncher got a buff. the normal shot feels/looks much better now and does consistent damage

-updated the menu and other grafics

-music change in a few maps

-fixed a few unalligned textures

-tweaked some ammo drops

-touch up of some sprites

-i reduced the number of stealth enemies in the third tangraan map; only the archviles assisting in the fights are stealth now

as mentioned last year i wont be adding more campaigns/classes/etc to it.

im going to change all the little things that still bother me and then release the last update.

please let me know if there is something else to look at.

Perfectly! We will wait for the Final Version 3.0!

About Cacoward: I would really like DerTimmy to get it for his project. He fully deserves it! After all, I have been improving it for 3 years and replenishing it with new content. Of course, it's a pity that there won't be anything new. But, as for me, there is nowhere to improve further: 4 Characters with their own gameplay and arsenal, their bestiary and Special Campaigns - this is the Limit of this Quality Work!

this WAD is so amazing, it doesnt even feel like a doom mod to me it feels like its own unique game. Had a blast the through the whole first level and cant wait to play the rest. Also the guns are wicked, i already love the super shotgun in vanilla doom but this version has such a crisp sound and feel to it i feel unstoppable XD

Can you add 'Tag' properties to the custom actors? It gives them a nicer name that other mods can use when referring to them.

On 5/31/2023 at 9:15 PM, wertercatt said:

Can you add 'Tag' properties to the custom actors? It gives them a nicer name that other mods can use when referring to them.

sure can do

New Melee Weapon for Aemi (replaces the punches)

Edited by DerTimmy

Listen, you said to suggest something else for ideas. I read it just now and wanted to ask: "Did you adapt the HUD only for 16:9 Monitors?" It's just that one of my friends has a 5:4 monitor and the HUD always went behind the screen.

Will there be an adaptation for all types of screens or will there be only 16:9?

On 6/2/2023 at 6:34 PM, Blacklight said:

Listen, you said to suggest something else for ideas. I read it just now and wanted to ask: "Did you adapt the HUD only for 16:9 Monitors?" It's just that one of my friends has a 5:4 monitor and the HUD always went behind the screen.

Will there be an adaptation for all types of screens or will there be only 16:9?

GZDoom should let you scale the hud. it isnt made for widescreen

Update 3.0 is out!

This will be the last and final update the Space Cats get.

Edited by DerTimmy

Apologies for the bump, just noticed you added a new campaign (which you presented in the what are you working on? thread). Is that included in the download or is that something you plan to add in the future?

3 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Apologies for the bump, just noticed you added a new campaign (which you presented in the what are you working on? thread). Is that included in the download or is that something you plan to add in the future?

What? Did DerTimmy do something new? How did I miss it?

He probably just decided to show off his New Work. Why not? I passed "Space Cats Saga" completely and got a thrill from passing. Another Mod-MEGAWAD, which didn't make it to Cacowards.

Therefore, it is worth evaluating this "Beasts!"

3 hours ago, Firedust said:

sry but its not yet added.

just started with it. i updated my space cats with the newer/updated beasts stuff (monsters,sprites,textures,actors) and added a new skill level "beast" (ultra violence + fast monsters; monsters have/do 25% less hp/damage). now i will make a 5 Maps episode based on this skill level (/fast monsters). Space Cats is a pretty fun package to work with. Just wanna do a few more maps with the stuff i made until now. The beasts are upgraded and i added the (updated) Bastyber Boss Fight and will add the Hellrose Queen Boss next (the Flower Boss from the Tangraan Campaign). Still need to update her and her arena.

Then Space Cats should be complete. Thats stuff that is floating in the code without use. Just wanna give it a bit more love.

But will take some time.

Spoiler

i post updates on Twitter/X

But i wouldnt "finish" Beasts. Space Cats is a pretty chaotic wad to work with in slade and it was easier to put the stuff i wanna work on in its own wad. Now its back in Space Cats and i would like to make some more/better Maps.

after that i would try to make something standalone on gzdoom (pshh its called M.I.L.L.Y)