Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The BMFG

What Song Makes You Cry?

Andrea Corrs voice is so damned beautiful and it get's me on these two songs.

and this song, whomever may be singing it..

Edited by Doom_Dude

On 8/15/2021 at 4:00 PM, PSXDoomer said:

Joy Division

They've never made me cry, as I have no really personal emotions attached to any of their songs, but I do get extremely introspective, and at times sad, when I listen to them. They were a really good band though; more people should listen to them.

I'm not sure why this song makes me emotional on a surface level; but I know that disintegration is an album that confuses me. I have many memories, most of them happy, and a lot of those happy memories involve listening to my old man's albums with a friend of mine whenever she came over to hang out; the music itself truly invokes a sorrowful feeling in me, but with certain events that happened in my life, that feeling only got worse.

Me and my friend weren't overly close, but we weren't basic friends either; in a way, she felt like the sister I never had, but of course, she probably didn't feel that way. But, we were still friends non-the-less, even if I felt a connection to her that resembled a feeling that someone would get from a sibling.

I'd definitely say that she had a hand in making me feel less terrible about life, I really was a miserable twat as a teenager, always feeling down, and even worthless. But of course, I'll get to the point of my post. It was early summer, and the both of us were listening to whatever albums that my dad would let us listen to, and she just happened to pick out disintegration.

We put the cassette in the player, and then the music swept us away, much like a leaf in a river. I still remember the face she made when plainsong's drop started; a quick twitch, followed by surprise, and then peace. She really loved the album.

Eventually, I decided to get her a cd copy for her birthday. She absolutely loved it.

Then, I got the news of her passing away; I didn't feel anything at first, just emptiness. Then I felt rage, all at myself, because I didn't feel anything at first.

On that very day, I wanted to just end it all; if I couldn't even feel grief for the briefest of moments, then how could I live with myself, let alone the world. And in that week, I felt dead, and eventually, it turned into the sadness I wanted to feel. Even writing this now, I can still feel that very feeling, and it makes it harder to cope.

Sometimes I feel like I'm spiraling again, and it scares me; I don't want to feel sad again, but it's inevitable.

So, that is the song that makes me cry, with an experience that makes it worse attached.

Rest In Peace.

Take care of yourselves doomworld.

On 8/15/2021 at 2:32 PM, Silent Wolf said:

My choice may be a bit clichéd in some respects, but it still makes me emotional.

I totally agree ... Man even just seeing this gives me all the feels ... Man oh man hurt gets you good!

On 8/15/2021 at 2:32 PM, Silent Wolf said:

My choice may be a bit clichéd in some respects, but it still makes me emotional.

I totally agree ... Man even just seeing this gives me all the feels ... Man oh man hurt gets you good!

I could probably make a giant list of songs that get me all teary eyed, but as of right now two songs stand out, and they're both from Linda Ronstadt.

They're both pretty sorrowful songs to begin with, but there's a bit more to it than that. I work at a used video store selling movies, CDs, games, etc. Every once and a while, I have a decent conversation with a customer about Linda and her contributions to music. I mention her 3 albums of all Mexican music, and, every time, the customer just seems bewildered that she performed Mexican music, usually with a response along the lines of "well she doesn't LOOK Mexican" (She's Mexican-German). I absolutely relate to this because I don't look Mexican myself and the amount of times customers have told this to me to my face is just so tiring. I can relate to her struggle of having her identity either ignored or not taken seriously

Besides that, she can no longer sing because of Parkinson's. Imagine being given a lovely voice like hers only for it to be taken away.
I'm sad that I'll probably have to deal with this prejudice for the rest of my days here because of America's obsession with race.
I'm sad that she'll never die singing like a cicada.

But I'm glad that she instills a sense of pride within me for being a Mexican-American.

1 hour ago, Agent Slacker said:

I could probably make a giant list of songs that get me all teary eyed, but as of right now two songs stand out, and they're both from Linda Ronstadt.

They're both pretty sorrowful songs to begin with, but there's a bit more to it than that. I work at a used video store selling movies, CDs, games, etc. Every once and a while, I have a decent conversation with a customer about Linda and her contributions to music. I mention her 3 albums of all Mexican music, and, every time, the customer just seems bewildered that she performed Mexican music, usually with a response along the lines of "well she doesn't LOOK Mexican" (She's Mexican-German). I absolutely relate to this because I don't look Mexican myself and the amount of times customers have told this to me to my face is just so tiring. I can relate to her struggle of having her identity either ignored or not taken seriously

Besides that, she can no longer sing because of Parkinson's. Imagine being given a lovely voice like hers only for it to be taken away.
I'm sad that I'll probably have to deal with this prejudice for the rest of my days here because of America's obsession with race.
I'm sad that she'll never die singing like a cicada.

But I'm glad that she instills a sense of pride within me for being a Mexican-American.

Awe it's so sad to hear she can't song anymore, beautiful voice ... I love me some Spanish music being latina myself, great choice Agent Slacker !

Failure - Saturday Saviour

Being asexual has ruined every relationship I've ever been in. I'll throw this on after a night of drinking alone.

I really don't know what it is about these two tracks specifically - they're both as banging as big room trance gets - it just feels as if there's a specific melancholic quality to them that just sets me off. For this reason I no longer listen to them while on the bus.

I don't really listen to sad stuff. But occasional something positive and strong will hit me and trigger a reaction. "The Show Must Go On" by Queen is a big one. When Freddie sang that, he was in so much pain he could barely stand and Brian May was unsure he could handle the vocal. Legend has it he said something like "I'll fucking do it darling", downed a vodka and went into the booth - and nailed it in one take. You can hear that determination in every second of that song.

I dearly love this song, but for some reason I had not played it in a long time. The main section was the first proper piece of lead guitar I ever learned to play. It's called "local hero/wild theme" here but it's called "Going Home" in it's original form which was a faster, rockier version and that's exactly what it sounds like - going home. Here it's slowed down, just guitar and keyboard. The first time I heard this version it really hit me, and playing along to it again tonight for the first time in a long it got me again and I got a bit misty eyed. It was kind of like catching up with an old friend.

Grandmaster Leslie Feist comin' at ya with some subtle, melancholy perfection. Most effective at somewhat high volume as there's a big dynamic range:

The rest of this album (let it die) is incredible. Title song gives me goosebumps. "Secret Heart" might induce tears of adoration and joy. Seriously, if you have only heard "1-2-3-4" and wasn't sold (I wasn't) then I strongly encourage listening to her other work.

Carry Me by Ray Lyell, a 1989 Canadian song that plays on our local Classic Rock radio station when I'm at work. Something about the harmonica intro and the chorus makes me tear up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EOV9_1Og6w

I've recently become a superfan of Alice in Chains, and their songs Nutshell and Down In A Hole are really beautiful and make me a bit emotional, especially the MTV Unplugged performances. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EKi2E9dVY8

Must clarify that I never watched the movie, I just really like the song (yes I do know Wojciech Kilar as an author too).

On 8/15/2021 at 4:25 AM, Taw Tu'lki said:

Paul Mauriat - Mamy Blue (1971)

Wow, never thought I would find Paul Mauriat around here. My first forays into orchestral music when I was 3, 4 years old were with this guy.

On 8/15/2021 at 9:29 PM, Chip said:

I'm not a very emotional person, strangly. I've never cried to a song, but I almost cry to these songs.

In My Life by the Beatles is such a beautiful song to me and I always feel happy when I hear it. 

Not to disparage the legendary Mr. Redding, but In My Life is one of the most beautiful songs ever written. You really couldn't have picked a better choice. 

On 8/18/2021 at 5:40 AM, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

I'm not sure why this song makes me emotional on a surface level; but I know that disintegration is an album that confuses me. I have many memories, most of them happy, and a lot of those happy memories involve listening to my old man's albums with a friend of mine whenever she came over to hang out; the music itself truly invokes a sorrowful feeling in me, but with certain events that happened in my life, that feeling only got worse.

Me and my friend weren't overly close, but we weren't basic friends either; in a way, she felt like the sister I never had, but of course, she probably didn't feel that way. But, we were still friends non-the-less, even if I felt a connection to her that resembled a feeling that someone would get from a sibling.

I'd definitely say that she had a hand in making me feel less terrible about life, I really was a miserable twat as a teenager, always feeling down, and even worthless. But of course, I'll get to the point of my post. It was early summer, and the both of us were listening to whatever albums that my dad would let us listen to, and she just happened to pick out disintegration.

We put the cassette in the player, and then the music swept us away, much like a leaf in a river. I still remember the face she made when plainsong's drop started; a quick twitch, followed by surprise, and then peace. She really loved the album.

Eventually, I decided to get her a cd copy for her birthday. She absolutely loved it.

Then, I got the news of her passing away; I didn't feel anything at first, just emptiness. Then I felt rage, all at myself, because I didn't feel anything at first.

On that very day, I wanted to just end it all; if I couldn't even feel grief for the briefest of moments, then how could I live with myself, let alone the world. And in that week, I felt dead, and eventually, it turned into the sadness I wanted to feel. Even writing this now, I can still feel that very feeling, and it makes it harder to cope.

Sometimes I feel like I'm spiraling again, and it scares me; I don't want to feel sad again, but it's inevitable.

So, that is the song that makes me cry, with an experience that makes it worse attached.

Rest In Peace.

Take care of yourselves doomworld.

I'm so incredibly sorry to hear that. Losing a close friend is such a unique pain, I hope no one has to feel it. If you ever feel low, my pms are always open. It may seem silly, me being a stranger that only knows you through a forum for a 25+ year old game, but talking helps. Helps me too. I hope you're doing alright man. Take care. 

58 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I'm so incredibly sorry to hear that. Losing a close friend is such a unique pain, I hope no one has to feel it. If you ever feel low, my pms are always open. It may seem silly, me being a stranger that only knows you through a forum for a 25+ year old game, but talking helps. Helps me too. I hope you're doing alright man. Take care.  

I'm doing fine these days. But it still stings a lot, especially when I have to see her parents every once and a while.