Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xymph

Romero reveals Sigil 2

21 minutes ago, OniriA said:

The million dollar question would be if he's gonna use this in his map 30 or not. 

image.png.309a8f2d7d6ecc72a8a8f3c2b86a01de.png

Calling it now, the only custom thing in the wad is going to be an updated current-day Romero head.

Also, if nobody liked the ending to Sigil, maybe it'd be a good idea to subtly hint at Romero that nobody's all too keen on plain old Icon of Sin maps. I mean, not to just flat out tell him what to do, but I think if there was a time where we could still lightly influence how the wad turns out, it would be now when not much has been created yet.

Honestly I would have liked SIGIL to end with at least an arena shootout leading up to nuking the cybie/mastermind instead of what we got. I also felt that some of Buckethead's tracks didn't fit the maps they accompanied. Romero One Mind being the first track when map01 is relatively mild didn't work too well in my opinion.

Holy, I love Romero design, I'm so hyped, loved Sigil 1 ! But as peoples already said, this would probably wont come up until years, but cleary worth the wait

yeah, why not?
Let's reunite the crew!

Who knows the number of Tim Willits?
He is the soul of the party!

I really enjoyed Sigil and I'm excited to see any level he is willing to create.

Sigil is one of the reasons I am about to release an Ultimate Doom map. It inspired me.

Romero, even six-level wad made into official add-ons. No need to make a full megawad; an episode would be enough.

Edited by dmslr

I personally would love to see a megawad from one of the creators of Doom. Something like that likely won’t happen again in my lifetime.

I don’t expect to blindly worship every single sector of all 32 maps, but come on, it’s John Romero, not some novice who wants to squeeze out 32 maps in 32 days (or less). 

Sweet !!

On 8/16/2021 at 5:25 PM, Rudolph said:

I wonder if it is going to be a full 32-map megawad or a 9-map was like NRFTL.

Although it is tempting, I would go for a 9 or 13 map 'miniwad'. I don't think a 32-map megawad would be feasible for that has the same impact as the first Sigil had. He is with all intents and purposes, just one man . . .

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I read somewhere that he is reluctant to make new maps because he is worried that they might get overshadowed by Romero's.

He should go for it !! I recon he would get just as much recognition as John Romero did. Romero simply happened to be the first who created some wads two decades after the game came out . . .

9 hours ago, Grimosaur said:

Calling it now, the only custom thing in the wad is going to be an updated current-day Romero head.

LackHAf.png

Meanwhile in Sigil 2, Map30.

Edited by OniriA

1 hour ago, Monry said:

I want to know if Romero lurks here....

He is a member here.
Not much lataly, but He usualy hangs around the forums, and made some posts here and there.

On 8/16/2021 at 2:10 PM, LadyMistDragon said:

hmm, what about Tom Hall? If enough people asked him, he might.

Did Tom Hall have any finished maps made 100% by him in Doom? I know Sandy went in and finished a lot of them but, and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think we've ever seen what he's fully capable of.

1 hour ago, Monry said:

I want to know if Romero lurks here....

Yes! He was on the cacowards recommendation thread a couple of months ago! He nominated Roebloz.

9 minutes ago, Chip said:

Yes! He was on the cacowards recommendation thread a couple of months ago! He nominated Roebloz.

Just another reason this is the most unique, cool community around a game ever

Dunno who this bridgeburner dude is, but he needs to take a deep breath or a xanax or something. All that fidgeting and nervousness during the interview even made me a little antsy in my pantsy.

12 hours ago, Monry said:

Just another reason this is the most unique, cool community around a game ever

John Carmack used to be on the forums as well, in 2009 IIRC.

But then there are so many others that are still active here

• Mike Rubits (named sponge on the forums) visits somewhat often on the forums. He is a current ID Software Employee and basically does everything for the New Unity Port
  • Lee Jackson (Named LeeJacksonAudio on the forums) is a music composer who made the music for 3D realms games Rise of the Triad and Duke Nukem 3D. He visits very often on the forums, and has contributed to several MIDI packs.

There are also a lot of Nightdive members who visit the forums here, these members are the most active

• James Haley (named Quasar on the forums) is here everyday, since he is a moderator on Doomworld. Not only is he a game developer at Nightdive, but he also helped create the Eternity engine and WinMBF; made Chocolate Strife for Strife; and is an admin on the Doom Wiki. 
  • Edward Richardson (named Edward850 on the forums) is a game programmer for Nightdive (and I'm just going to rip this part from the wiki) specializing in Network, Social Platform integration, and porting work to Xbox and Switch. he is very very helpful, and also very very active on the forums. it's almost impossible to miss him.
  • Samuel Villarreal (named Kaiser on the forums) is a programmer for Nightdive. He did a SHIT-LOAD of work for the new 2020 DOOM 64 port, and made the Lost Levels for it. in the past, he has made several contributions to the DOOM 64 community

there are also a bunch of big Doomtubers on the forums. I couldn't possibly name them all, but I know Doomkid, Biodegradeble, and Dwars all have somewhat big channels. 

There's probably more I'm forgetting, but that's mostly it. 

Sorry about getting off-topic. let's talk more about Sigil 2!

Edited by Chip

1 hour ago, Chip said:

Also, unrelated to this first half...

Sorry that people can't be perfect. Bridge is one of the greatest mappers of the past several years, and is a mod on these forums. I think I would be nervous, too, interviewing a god-like figure to this community like Romero. I don't know if you'd be different interviewing him, so I totally invite you to do so to prove me wrong. it's really rude to complain about an interview when the point of this thread was to get hyped and be happy.

I was being facetious. Don't shoot! *Raises hands*

I don't think a little light-hearted humor at his giddyness and excitement to talk to Romero is going to hurt his feelings :)

The sheer irony here is that I do suffer from debilitating anxiety and panic disorder, and if it wasnt for my daily dose of Xanax and Lexapro, I'd probably not even be able to make it out the front door... much less a interview.

Edited by Buckshot

8 hours ago, Buckshot said:

I was being facetious

I was a bit confused. Online it's difficult to tell sarcasm apart from an angry post. sorry for that. I edited my first post and took that part out. 

On 8/17/2021 at 3:08 PM, Apprentice said:

Sweet !!

Although it is tempting, I would go for a 9 or 13 map 'miniwad'. I don't think a 32-map megawad would be feasible for that has the same impact as the first Sigil had. He is with all intents and purposes, just one man . . .

He is our Lord and saviour John Romero, one of the Masters of Doom. He is no mere man...

On 8/20/2021 at 7:33 PM, Blackroat said:

On Google, there is nothing about Sigil 2

When you say 'On Google, there is nothing about Sigil 2', do you mean you see no results at all when searching for "Sigil 2", or nothing beyond "John Romero is making Sigil 2"? Because I see plenty of the latter on Google.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:31 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Romero One Mind being the first track when map01 is relatively mild didn't work too well in my opinion.

I really think it worked quite well as the track goes for the high amperage you would expect an opening track to have in order to psych you up for the experience. Though the MIDI tracks for Sigil do tend to work better imo for gameplay and the Buckethead OST is better for just jamming to, I still think the tracks worked pretty well as they were.

I do see a lot of people worried about how well John can put out 32 levels, though I do feel it's important to say that modern level design and Doom Builder 2 (which is the editor he used to create Sigil iirc) were still fairly new to him. At this point, he's probably gotten valuable feedback from players on the lower points in Sigil like the cramped overall designs and I have a strong feeling he'll do his best to take that feedback into account.

That being said...no other megawad that I'VE seen is made solely by one person on the level design front. So I also think he'll at least enlist help of some kind.

2 hours ago, SynDoom said:

That being said...no other megawad that I'VE seen is made solely by one person on the level design front. So I also think he'll at least enlist help of some kind.

This is the part where John Romero comes to find Sandy Petersen chopping wood outside his trailer in the woods and says "You were the best, Sandy.  We need you for one more job. I can't do this without you."