Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xymph

Romero reveals Sigil 2

1 hour ago, Stupid Bunny said:

This is the part where John Romero comes to find Sandy Petersen chopping wood outside his trailer in the woods and says "You were the best, Sandy.  We need you for one more job. I can't do this without you."

Haha, I love it.

9 hours ago, Ultima_ said:

I really think it worked quite well as the track goes for the high amperage you would expect an opening track to have in order to psych you up for the experience. Though the MIDI tracks for Sigil do tend to work better imo for gameplay and the Buckethead OST is better for just jamming to, I still think the tracks worked pretty well as they were.

I get that the intention is to hype you up, but the opening map itself isn't exactly an adrenaline rush. Plus, the song is somewhat wasted in terms of execution because the map is so short that I don't even remember hearing the whole thing once before I finished the map. I like the MIDI and Buckethead music though. I just think that map01 should have been an atmospheric build up in terms of music before exploding later on when the shit hits the fan in a later map. Just a personal thought.

Hopefully Buckethead will return for the sequel.

57 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Hopefully Buckethead will return for the sequel.

I also hope that but I do hope that he will make NEW and ORIGINAL music for Sigil 2. The thing I have with his tracks for Sigil is, that apart from one track (Romero one mind any weapon) none of them were especially made for Sigil. All of them were pretty much pre-existing and JR simply had to pick the ones out of a vast libary.  That is why I think that James Paddock's MIDI tracks are better, since they were made for Sigil . . .

Hopefully he will make sure the base WAD runs on something other than ZDoom without needing a compat WAD.

42 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

That is why I think that James Paddock's MIDI tracks are better, since they were made for Sigil . . .

Not all of them.

"You Ain't The Boss O' Me" was composed for DoomRL, "Alice" and "Watching You" were composed for the defunct project The Empty Museum, "Riot Squadron" was composed for Machine Shop Duel, "Besieged City" was composed for something called "Dawn of Chaos" which I haven't found the trace of, "Adrenaline in the Blood" was composed for no specific project.

In fact, only "Land of Ire" and "Big Guns" were composed specifically for Sigil, according to their metadata. "Hate Machine", "Quell the Beast", and "Easel", I'm not sure. I didn't find them in Jimmy's Jukebox so perhaps they were made for Sigil, but their metadata doesn't say that specifically.

1 hour ago, Apprentice said:

That is why I think that James Paddock's MIDI tracks are better, since they were made for Sigil . . .

This isn't really the case. from what i heard from Jimmy, he made the Title screen specifically for Sigil, the rest were either unused or from his previous work.

2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

This isn't really the case. from what i heard from Jimmy, he made the Title screen specifically for Sigil, the rest were either unused or from his previous work.

Can confirm that all but 2? of the midis used were existing Jimmy tracks. I think he wrote the intermission and title music specifically for Sigil.

12 hours ago, Stupid Bunny said:

This is the part where John Romero comes to find Sandy Petersen chopping wood outside his trailer in the woods and says "You were the best, Sandy.  We need you for one more job. I can't do this without you."

*80s Montage Music in the background*

*John and Sandy shown lifting computer mice as their weights*

13 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Hopefully he will make sure the base WAD runs on something other than ZDoom without needing a compat WAD.

Luckly we have UMAPINFO now so there are more ports now that have some form of mapinfo than there were back when the first Sigil came out

59 minutes ago, Mystic 256 said:

Luckly we have UMAPINFO now so there are more ports now that have some form of mapinfo than there were back when the first Sigil came out

You also have DeHackEd, don't forget about that

14 hours ago, Gez said:

"Adrenaline in the Blood" was composed for no specific project.

That's really surprising. The composition on that track (the second half of it) is something most people could ask payment for.

54 minutes ago, SynDoom said:

You also have DeHackEd, don't forget about that

DEHACKED wouldn't have helped to make Sigil a fifth episode.

But that's presumably not going to be an issue for Sigil 2, as we can expect it to replace levels 01-32 instead of being like 33-60 or something.

16 hours ago, Apprentice said:

I also hope that but I do hope that he will make NEW and ORIGINAL music for Sigil 2. The thing I have with his tracks for Sigil is, that apart from one track (Romero one mind any weapon) none of them were especially made for Sigil. All of them were pretty much pre-existing and JR simply had to pick the ones out of a vast libary.  That is why I think that James Paddock's MIDI tracks are better, since they were made for Sigil . . .

Romero does tend to prefer licensing existing content rather than commissioning brand new stuff in general.

Buckethead has been releasing a ton of albums but it's not like you can play a random song while playing Doom and it will fit as perfectly as his atmospheric selections for Sigil. If his music makes it into another Sigil I hope it will be just as well thought out mix of calm and energetic tracks.

How long is it gonna take for him to make 32 levels??  He's setting us all up for a Phantom Menace-scale letdown.

I think it would be funny if he just released an epic troll megawad, with all the stock D2 maps slightly modified, and a few obvious Circle Of Death and Living End tributes mixed in, and the last nine levels are just Sigil converted for Doom 2.  And the secret levels reference Daikatana.  

And there's a Carmack head

6 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

How long is it gonna take for him to make 32 levels??  He's setting us all up for a Phantom Menace-scale letdown.

I think it would be funny if he just released an epic troll megawad, with all the stock D2 maps slightly modified, and a few obvious Circle Of Death and Living End tributes mixed in, and the last nine levels are just Sigil converted for Doom 2.  And the secret levels reference Daikatana.  

And there's a Carmack head

Why not do both?

You know, I liked Sigil. I'm not going to say it's the best map design ever in a game or anything, but it has an air of officialness that not even a wad from the current iteration of ID software would carry. imo.

36 minutes ago, Kute said:

You know, I liked Sigil. I'm not going to say it's the best map design ever in a game or anything, but it has an air of officialness that not even a wad from the current iteration of ID software would carry. imo.

I would really like to see the current iD guys make a wad. I wonder if any of the Doom Eternal team ever worked in iDTech1. 

Still want to see Tom Hall, Sandy Peterson, and maybe American Mcgee work on Sigil 2.

It's nice to see game companies supporting their older titles *cough nintendo cough*

On 8/25/2021 at 1:55 PM, Gibbon said:

Sigil worked normally in Crispy doom and in other ports, I was able to see it as the 5th episode in most port's tested

4 hours ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

Sigil worked normally in Crispy doom and in other ports, I was able to see it as the 5th episode in most port's tested

Using the compat wad yes.  Would be nice to have just one wad that runs on all source ports.

8 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Using the compat wad yes.  Would be nice to have just one wad that runs on all source ports.

Actually no,  I am not at my main computer at the moment but the standard wad worked with Crispy doom.