Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Burn

Ok, firstly, how do you assign Freezing/burning frames to monsters? And secondly how do you make a weapon freezing/burning damage? I know this is possible, is there any documentation on it?

Is that supposed to be something you can naturally do in Hexen or something? I've NEVER heard of that in ZDoom.

Try EDGE. I know it supports multiple death types.

Yes, they were Hexen specific that ZDoom supports now, but using them for Doom things have some problems.

It is possible in Zdoom. You have to give the projectile concerned a suitable "bit" using a dehacked patch. The problem (as noted by Sphagne) is making it have an effect on doom enemies and items. For something to burn or freeze, you need to be able to give it burning or freezing frames, and that is something that simply isn't part of dehacked.

What you can do, however, is give your weapons the ability to cause fire or ice damage, and then use scripts to spawn Hexen enemies that have those kind of deaths into a doom game. You could even make them look like suitable doom enemies. eg If you provided a bunch of replacement graphics for the Hexen ettin using doom demon sprites, and replaced the ettin sounds with demon sounds, you could make your plasma gun into a freeze gun, and freeze a whole bunch of ettins in demon's clothing. I was actually planning on doing that for a bit of a laugh this weekend. :-)

The damage type bits are:

FIREDAMAGE

and

ICEDAMAGE

These are MF2 bits, and so reset all the bits for the projectile. You would need to add other appropriate bits to your bits line to restore suitable projectile behaviour - eg pcross and impact +others

To get a Hexen monster into a doom game, you need to provide sprites for it, sounds for it, and a SNDINFO lump that defines its sounds for use in a doom game. Then you spawn it using the spawnspot script command.

You should be able to find references to most of the above by searching the Zdoom fora.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Roll up, Roll up come and get your Freezing Ice Demon demo...

Ummm riiiight!

Seeing as how the subject had been raised, I decided not to wait until the weekend and threw together a little wad that converts Ettins into demons, and the plasma gun into a weapon that can freeze them.

If you want to pop along to my tripod site and scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll see a link.

The level is just a simple 2 room demo.

The demons you see are not really demons, they are Hexen ettins (which is why they walk slowly).

The only dehacking done was to allow the plasma bullet to de freeze damage. It will behave like a normal plasma gun against doom enemies. Although I did change it's appearance, and that of the cell packs and plasma bullets, and gave it the Hexen wizard freeze spell sound.

These are Hexen ettins which, unlike the doom demons have gib frames. Type "kill monsters" (with the " "s) at the console to see these guys gib and laugh at the cool arm flying fun (using the fact that in Hexen, gibbed ettins throw away their maces).

This will require a Zdoom 2 pre release version. The latest is in the 35.cab file loacated at http://zdoom.notgod.com/lars/

Just load up the level in doom2 and go play map01. The switch on the far side of the second room is the exit. You can respawn all the demons by typing puke 100 at the console, or you can just get a single demon right in front of you by typing summon ettin at the console in any level.

You are free to use anything you find useful in the file. A name check would be nice if you release anything based on it.

Have fun :-)

Lazer said:

Those are arms right...?

He he ooops, if you're thinking what I think you're thinking umm that was totally unitentional.

Maybe I should have gone with another idea that I had of changing the colour of the freezable demons. Those pink arms are a bit, well you know. :-)

Enjay said:

Type "kill monsters" (with the " "s) at the console..

Oops? You probably meant to say without the quotation marks. :)
Nice demo, Nigel. I like the breaking frozen-monster shards the best. Gave me the urge to kick or punch the frozen monster for some Duke-like action. I remember when I used to play Duke with my son, chasing him with the freezer and taunting him, calling him "popsicle boy". :) Then, he got me back good when he froze me and I shrank him at the same moment, then I expected to melt and go step on him, and his little shrunken self walked right up to me, gave a tiny kick and...crash, I shattered! Kinda' like being pecked to death by a Heretic chicken. :)

Biffy said:

Oops? You probably meant to say without the quotation marks. :)

Ack, I was getting confused with aliases and console commands. I did mean with the " "s, but I was wrong to say it.

alias idkill "kill monsters"

Will allow you to use idkill at the console to kill all monsters (an alias I use for testing purposes)

but

alias idkill kill monsters

activates the kill part of the command when you type idkill, and the player dies instead.

Setting up the alias without the " "s used to work, but that changed a while ago. It's been ages since I typed the command rather than the alias, so I was forgetting that the " "s are not needed in that case, and in fact will stop the command working.

So, yeah, thanks. :-)

enjay, I tried that out last night...but, i forgot the "monsters" part and typed "kill all"....I usualy don't do that...I think your wording threw me off, it's your fault.

But it'd be sweet if you could add gib frames to the normal demon (and/or others), that looks cool as hell

Quast said:

But it'd be sweet if you could add gib frames to the normal demon (and/or others), that looks cool as hell

That's one thing you can do using dehacked. If you give an enemy an exploding frame, and make it look appropriate, it will be used as a gib death. The problem is, the tougher the enemy is, the harder it is to gib them. It gets to a point where the enemy has such a high hit point value, you simply can't gib them unless you are using cheats like kill monsters or MDK in Zdoom. And here's why (quoting Randy Heit)

Randy Heit said:

For Doom, things use their extreme death if, after death, their health is less than the negative of what they were spawned with. (currenthealth < -spawnhealth)

For Heretic and Hexen, things use their extreme death if, after death, their health is less than one half the negative of what they were spawned with. (currenthealth < -spawnhealth/2)

The reason those ettin replacing demon gibs were especially cool IMO was not so much that they were using gibbing style graphics, but because the ettin, when gibbed throws away his mace (and the centaurs throw away their shields IIRC). That allowed me to have a body part fly off as well as have a gib animation. OK, so the body part may have looked like a schlong to some people, but I still like the effect. :-)

A little trivia:

All of Hexen's fourth weapons (Quietus, etc.) will cause extreme deaths no matter how small the damage they may cause.

Well, for me anyway, just the sight of seeing a demon gib was cool enough...

wierd thing though, I always thought the heretic crossbow was weak, but i've managed to gib zombiemen with it....without the tome of power