Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZigfriedYoshimitsu

ZDoom 2.8.1 reorders desktop icons -- solution

Hey guys, I have run into the issue of old ZDoom 2.8.1 moving my desktop icons around whenever I open it. Haven't found any posts online about it so posting here.

The solutions to this issue are:

1. Make your ZDoom resolution higher. I used to run it in 640x480 as per terry davis's gospel, however that proved too low. 1024x768 which is the highest supported 4:3 resolution is also too low. However 1280x1024 (5:4) doesn't have this issue and is barely any different from 4:3 (vertical field of view is just a TINY bit wider). Also setting it to your monitor's native resolution, e.g. 1920x1080 will work too but that's 16:9.

2. disable snapping desktop icons to grid: right click desktop, then view-> disable aligning icons to grid.

Hopefully this helps someone!

FYI, this is because the game changes your display's resolution to whatever it's using. When your display resolution changes, your desktop icons are moved around to fit in the available space. This happens with a lot of old, low-resolution games. Many source ports nowadays don't mess with the display resolution and instead scale their image to fit your screen regardless of the game's resolution.