Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catoidi

Box Party [Demo v1.4.1]

893608279_update1.2smol.png.13100c88ba1c372e6b3a26b3d1e78afa.png

Update v1.2 is out now on Steam and Itch! This update adds 3 new side quests to do in level 2, some new hats, and a bunch of quality of life changes!

All previous saves are incompatible. Your hats and settings are fine, though.

New Features:
-Added 3 new side quests to level 2.
-Added the ability to get the level 2 side quest hat.
-Added 4 new secret hats.
-Added an option to hide locked hats in the hat menu.
-Added some new dialogue to some NPC's to help out with quests in level 1 and 2.
-Keys and Quests will now leave markers on the Automap.
-Bosses will now drop 50% more ammo if the player has no ammo left.
-Added a new optional area to level 2.
-Added a marshmallow.
-Added a metal detector.

Fixes/Changes:
-"Speedrun Clock" and "Show Exhaust Meter" are now enabled by default. Old players will need to manually change these 2 options.
-Finding secrets and getting keys now give 500 points, instead of 250.
-Picking up weapon or ammo pickups (not including those from enemies) are now marked as "items" and will now give 5 points each.
-Fixed the elevator in level 1 getting broken, causing a softlock.
-Fixed a plate spawner in level 3 being activated multiple times.
-"Dead" glowsticks on the ground are now more visually distinct from glowstick ammo pickups.
-Secret hats will now appear after all normal hats, thus preventing the placement of normal hats being disorganized.
-Streamlined the system time detection code in the hat menu.
-Removed some unused dialogue/items.
-Increased Level 1 Boss's health by 200 points.
-Level 1 Boss takes longer to get exhausted.
-Level 2 Bosses get exhausted faster.
-Fixed "dead" gibs not properly sticking to the ground on moving platforms.

Hello, it's been a second since the last Box Party update. I was gonna have this update be for adding new content to Level 3, but I've had to push that back to the next update cuz I got sick. :)
Instead, this v1.3 update is mainly focused on adding new rotation sprites for every enemy in the game. (Before, all the enemies would always face the player.)
This doesn't include rotations for the bosses, as there's never really any point where the bosses aren't looking at you.

I won't go into more detail about the demo update here, if you wanna see more about it just check out this dev log here:
https://idiotbitz.itch.io/box-party/devlog/344280/demo-update-v13

But that's not everything I've been working on.

Screenshot_BoxParty_20220207_165658.png.d4c22fb05dfbe5bce10b5a97efb1b985.png

I'm adding a "Challenge Mode" to the full version of Box Party. This mode will just contain a buncha small challenge levels that take ~2-3 minutes to complete.
Some of the challenges will be like "Kill 100 melons", "Survive 1 minute in a room full of enemies with no weapons", or "Complete this parkour level as this specific character".
There's a hub level where you can easily keep track of every challenge you've already completed, and which ones you need to do next.

Got some other really cool stuff in the works for the full version, but it's too early to talk about that right now.

Hopefully all of this stuff for the full version will be worth the wait. Still currently aiming for the "somewhere in 2022" date for the full release, but it's too early into the year to tell.

Very cute. Those melons are no joke! And they look pretty damn cool with the shades.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:24 PM, bimbo said:

Very cute. Those melons are no joke! And they look pretty damn cool with the shades.

Thank you! Glad you like em.

So, it's been almost a month now since my last post here so I'm just catching yall up to speed on what's happening.

Haven't worked on Box Party much this past few weeks, thanks to some other things outside of Box Party I've been dealing with.
Most of the "tangible" work I've done in Box Party is for full version stuff, so I won't be showing that off just yet.

Right now I'm currently trying to get multiplayer fixed. Thanks to someone smarter than me on Github, quite a few bugs and desyncs in multiplayer have already been fixed.
But the main cause of desyncs right now lies within the hat menu. Simply opening the menu is enough to desync the game.

Thankfully, changing your hat via console commands doesn't cause desyncs.

Once the hat menu is fixed, I'll upload all the fixes and changes and release v1.3.1.

After that, I'll work on v1.4, which will include new content to check out in level 3.

Here's a screenshot of the current state of multiplayer:

image.png.615a4c176a62738f88a70183f6fd4eab.png

xJGGCps.png
Box Party Demo v1.3.2 is out now on all platforms. This includes important bug fixes, like preventing the player from getting softlocked inside of a fridge.

Here's the patch notes:

• You can now type "secret" into the console to get hints for how to find secrets and secret hats in the current level.
  • Fixed side quest UI bugging out in multiplayer again, but in a different new fun way.
  • Fixed Boss Melon getting stuck in falling animation if an invincible entity gets under the boss while it is jumping.
  • Fixed hat unlock script sometimes not giving hats to players under certain conditions.
  • Fixed getting softlocked inside of the Fridge of Death in level 2.
  • Fixed some texture misalignments in the difficulty select level and level 1.
  • Improved compatibility with the Corruption Cards mod.

Hello again. I took a bit of a break from Box Party in April, but I'm back now.

Update v1.4 is not out yet, but the biggest piece of content for the update was completed today, so I'm hoping I can get this update finally out the door soon enough.

This is going to be the biggest update to Box Party Demo so far.

Here's a lil' video to tide you over for now:

Hello again again. Got another cool new thing to show off today.

Next new feature coming to v1.4: More difficulty options!

Screenshot of the 6 new difficulty options.

You can find these options in a new area in the Difficulty Select level.
These options are applied on top of which one of the 3 Difficulties you select.

I'll gloss over these options real quick:

• Enemy HP/Damage: You can control how much health/damage the enemies have. Pretty simple.
  • Glowstick Start: At the start of each level, you'll lose all of your weapons, except the glowstick. Like a Pistol Start in Doom.
  • More Max Ammo: Gives you 50% more max ammo for all weapons except for the glowstick, which gets double the ammo.
  • HP/Ammo Drops: Control how many health and ammo drops can spawn from defeating enemies.

When you choose any of the options that make your game easier, your score will begin to drain over time so that you can't cheese the high score system.

Hello once again. Took a real actual hiatus from working on Box Party during the summer, so I haven't been able to get as much done as I had planned to this year.

Therefore, instead of releasing in 2022, I'll be delaying the full release of Box Party until further notice.

This doesn't mean I haven't done anything new in the game. Far from it, actually! I've gotten a good amount of work done on the game these past 9 days.

Here's an imgur album of some new stuff.

I'll give you a rundown of all the new stuff:

1. I've replaced the old BIGFONT with a new one that has much better shading and has been shrunk down to better fit in menus and such.
  2. I've done the one thing that no gzdoom modder should ever do: Replace the options menus.
    -All options not related to Box Party have been removed, and now there's new tooltips that'll appear to explain what most of the options actually do.
    -Also some of the menus will now do an animated transition like all the other cool and epic menus do.
    -You can still find the original gzdoom menus if needed.
  3. Updated the visuals for a buncha different enemy attacks.
    -All onion based enemies will now use exclusively water-themed explosions instead of the regular explosions.
    -All of the exploding missile attacks spawned from enemies/bosses now leave bullet trails behind them so it's easier to tell which direction the projectile is heading.
    -Nerfed the Bell Pepper boss's rage attack by not allowing them to turn in random directions while moving+shooting.
    -Big Pizza's projectile attack should now be more predictable and easier to read.
  4. The color of the player's glowstick now matches the color of the secondary attack's thrown projectile.

There's a buncha smaller stuff I did too that you might not be interested in, so I'll put em here:

Spoiler
  • Added an option for Boss HP Bars to not fade away when you stop looking at them.
  • The blue exhaustion bars for Bosses will now go down instead of going up.
  • Consolidated all of the duplicate boss code into a single parent actor that all bosses now call from.
  • Replaced that one ACS script that would set all of your hats to default with a new ZScript-ified version that will grab all hats loaded via BOXHAT.txt and reset them all to default, therefore giving the script modded hat compatibility. This is good for debugging new hats. (I'm probably gonna be the only person that ever uses this, but that's okay.)
  • Removed some default keybinds that don't make sense to have available in Box Party, like ones that point to old GZDOOM menus, or the ones that change your screen size.
  • Also fixed that one issue where you would sometimes click an option in the main menu and it'd choose the wrong option due to the options not being sized correctly.
  • There's now an option to toggle discord rich presence in the options menu. In v1.4, it's enabled by default.

So with that out of the way, Demo Update v1.4 is almost done. I just need to put the finishing touches on 2 side quests, and maybe add in some other ideas I can come up with, and then I'll upload it to steam and itch.io.

Since I won't be releasing the full game this year, I'll instead be doing a public beta testing of what full version content is currently available sometime at the end of the year.

And lastly, I'll show off a bit about all the side quests for level 3 once they're in a ready enough state to show off. Stay tuned.

XmKv1X7.jpg

Only 1 side quest left to finish for level 3, then the v1.4 demo update will be ready.

One of the side quests involves mirrors in some way...

Surprise surprise, the v1.4 Demo Update is out now!

tc7hvdO.png

You can go ahead and download the update on itchio or steam. Whichever one you prefer.

Just read this changelog here to see everything that's new (there's a lot)
https://catoidi.itch.io/box-party/devlog/420003/demo-update-v14

Also, there's now a new Linux build available on the itch.io store page!
I haven't been able to playtest this version, so be sure to tell me about any issues related to it and I'll fix it immediately.

There's no Linux build on steam yet, unfortunately. I haven't been able to get Steam Cloud Saving across Windows and Linux to work properly.
For now, you can just play the Steam Version using Proton. (Works just fine from my playtesting)

There's gonna be a minor update coming within a few days to the demo that'll include some bugfixes and stuff.

Here's basically everything that's gonna be in v1.4.1:
-Changed how the "paintings" work a bit so that it's now really easy for me to add new paintings to the game, among other things.
-Also added like 25 new paintings.
-Added 3 new hats, and also a new way to unlock the monthly hats for people who are impatient but also like unlocking things ingame without messing with system settings or console commands.
-Added a new sound for when a boss enters RAGE MODE, and when you hit a Jump Pad.
-Made it where you don't get ginormous amounts of points from enemies if they currently have an HP multiplier active.
-You can no longer change the difficulty CVARs mid-game anymore without enabling cheats.
-Fixed pepper boss rage mode effects not being removed when they die, again.
-Fixed certain item pickups sometimes not giving you it's associated points if you come into contact with the item in a specific position.

here's an image of 3 smaller images on a wall:

1VYShjP.png

Box Party Demo v1.4.1 is out now on Steam and itchio.

as per usual with these updates, your save files from v1.4 or before are incompatible, but your hats and your settings are fine.

New Stuff:
-Paintings got reworked a bit. 25 new paintings were added. Some paintings only spawn in specific levels. It's much easier to add new paintings now.
-Added 3 new secret hats. Added a new way to unlock the monthly secret hats.
-Added a sound to jumppads and for when bosses get mad.
-Added a new secret mechanic to the game. (hint: try not murdering stuff this time) (also: you can disable this mechanic via console commands.)

Smaller Changes:
-Fixed Pepper Boss not losing rage effects upon death, again.
-Certain scaling effects can now also change the hitboxes for actors. (Large/small objects should now have more accurate hitboxes.)
-Reduced performance by 90%.
-Nerfed bonus points given via enabling the Enemy HP Multiplier.
-You can no longer change the new difficulty modifiers via menus/console commands, without enabling cheats.
-Fixed rare cases where you could pick up specific items but not get any of it's associated score points due to differences in hitboxes.
-Changed the demo endscreen.
-Added some new obituaries.
-You can no longer carry trash bags across levels.
-Fixed the boss hp bar fade CVAR not being ON by default.
-The game now knows if you are playing on the demo version or not.

here's a random screenshot that 100% has zero relation to this update whatsoever:

7k2ZKiA.png