Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sirjuddington

Redemption "beta" release + looking for help...

OK, I've decided to release a "beta" version of my Doom Redemption project. At the moment it is one episode (E1M1-E1M8) that goes through the styles of E1, E2 and E3/4. Now I'm thinking of extending it to a proper 3 episode replacement, but I know I won't be able to do it on my own. I know it's probably pointless asking for help here, but hell, I'll try anything ;)

Anyway, download it here:

http://playerzgames.hey.nu/Redemption.rar (thanks to 5hfifty for uploading it for me)

Tell me what you think, and if you want to help out to extend it to 3 episodes. I'll only really need mappers, and maybe someone to do a new title screen (I need to think of a better name, Redemption really doesn't fit :/)

In general: Very, very nice - IMO the best release since Anomaly Reborn (granted there hasn't exactly been all that much released since then) :)

I can't think of a single nitpick with the entire thing, other than that there was a too much "wtf did that switch do?" on E1M7.

I really loved the remade Doom music mods too :)

BTW, you might want to specify where Episodes 2 and 3 will take place, so potential level designers know what style of level they'd be required to do. I assume Episode 2 will take place on Earth, but what and Episode 3? A second trip to Hell, or something entirely different?

Heh, played it properly just then, and it rocks. The music owns and the level design is similar to Doom's original levels.

ZDoomGL crashes when I open the first door in E1M2. I'd give more information, but I gotta go to bed now :)

Great to see people like it ;) It certainly encourages me to work more on the project!

I forgot to mention that the ZDoom node builder causes E1M2 to crash. Just rebuild the nodes with an external node builder and it should work fine.

And yeah, what I meant by 'extending' it, is having episode 1 with 9 E1 style maps, episode 2 with 9 E2 style maps, etc. So for instance E1M1-E1M3 would be part of E1, E1M4-E1M6 would be part of E2, and E1M7 would be on E3. I dunno about E1M8, I might just scrap it or modify it or something like that.

EDIT: Oh, and if I get enough help, I think it would be cool to make 4 episodes have episode 4 take place on Earth ;)

Nope, it's ZDoom only.

And also, it wont currently work on ZDoomGL, since there is no way to skip the node build with that. Just skip E1M2 for now or use plain ZDoom. I'll fix the map soon...

i played it all. pretty good stuff, although nothing too breathtaking or terribly original in it :P

still, it's worth a look :)

SlayeR said:

Nope, it's ZDoom only.

And also, it wont currently work on ZDoomGL, since there is no way to skip the node build with that. Just skip E1M2 for now or use plain ZDoom. I'll fix the map soon...

Have you tried the latest ZDoom (2.0.35)? There were some more fixes to the nodebuilder in that one (map06 in P:AR works fine in ZDoomGL with the new nodebuilder).

timmie said:

Have you tried the latest ZDoom (2.0.35)?

I just did. For some reason I got a corrupted copy of the fix file when I downloaded it, so I just ran the version linked in the original post. So unless that has been updated, the original version of E1M2 ran fine for me with 2.0.35 and with Zdoom building the nodes.

Oh, and very nice, cool levels capturing the spirit very well, and the music worked really well too. I'll need to go play them again as the first time through was a bit of a rushed job. I want to take my time next go.

Oh, and I liked the fact that you disabled jumping. Not because I dislike jumping (I don't - I think it's cool) but when I get a zdoom specific level, I feel that jumping should be OK as that is part of the port, and if the author intended it to be done without jumping, it's their responsibility to disable it via mapinfo.

All too often though, you find a Zdoom specific file that allows you to jump, and short circuit the level either because the author didn't think through the implications, or didn't make it explicit that jumping was never part of the level concept.

Of course, none of that applies to non Zdoom specific levels where, unless it is clear jumping is allowed/expected, I assume no jumping is the intended way to play.

Enjay said:

I just did. For some reason I got a corrupted copy of the fix file when I downloaded it, so I just ran the version linked in the original post. So unless that has been updated, the original version of E1M2 ran fine for me with 2.0.35 and with Zdoom building the nodes.

Ah, so Randy has fixed it then ;) I mailed Randy about it, and he replied with the reason why it crashed, if anyone's interested:

It's not exactly a node builder bug.
Rather, it's a bug check/fix that doesn't get run when
you use the internal node builder. Linedef 589 of your
map is marked two-sided, but it doesn't have a back
side. When you don't use the built-in node builder,
it's two-sided flag is automatically cleared when the
map loads. Using the node builder, that check gets
skipped and the flag is still set.

Enjay said:

Oh, and I liked the fact that you disabled jumping. Not because I dislike jumping (I don't - I think it's cool) but when I get a zdoom specific level, I feel that jumping should be OK as that is part of the port, and if the author intended it to be done without jumping, it's their responsibility to disable it via mapinfo.

The reason why jumping was disabled is because E1M1 and E1M4 were originally created for Vanilla Doom.exe, and jumping in them would be cheating, pretty much, so I stuck with the no jump policy for the rest of the episode. And not being able to jump adds to that 'original doom' feel anyway ;)