Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nights

Best vanilla source port in your opinion

Hey ya'll. Been thinking on the topic of source ports for a while, and I was wondering: What's your favorite vanilla source port?

Me personally, it's a tie between PRBoom Plus and the Eternity Engine. Part of me wishes these two would merge, because I find myself switching between them all the time.

Woof and Russian Doom are my favourites

Edited by Wavy : Eternity ain't vanilla

Chocolate Doom is the only completelly vanilla source-port (or at least the most known one for modern PCs).

Most of the other sourceports out there are, by definition, limit removing ports, as they have features and allow possibilities that the original .exe and chocolate doom, hence vanilla doom, do not allow to be made on them.

maybe you guys are confusing non-modded gameplay with vanilla?
Cause they are not the same; normal doom gameplay and vanilla compatibility are two completelly different things.

Crispy Doom could be the most similar to a vanilla source-port, as it doesn't allow more advanced features. But it allows bex strings and sky transfer aside from having all the statics limits raised.
Or RUDE, Romero Ultimate Doom Engine, a fork of Chocolate Doom that stands between Chocolate and Crispy.

Crispy for sure. It's my go-to vanilla source port. I sometimes go with Chocolate if I'm really feelin' vanilla.

"Favorite" is no port at all, playing Doom2.exe (or the slightly-limit-increased Doom32.exe) in DOS, just like the old days!

As for ports though? I adore how Chocolate Doom is basically just "Vanilla for newer OSes", but DSDA-Doom just has so much in the way of QoL.. It's like the slightly refined, extended version of PrBoom+ I always hoped for.

12 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Chocolate Doom is the only completelly vanilla source-port (or at least the most known one for modern PCs).

Most of the other sourceports out there are, by definition, limit removing ports, as they have features and allow possibilities that the original .exe and chocolate doom, hence vanilla doom, do not allow to be made on them.

maybe you guys are confusing non-modded gameplay with vanilla?
Cause they are not the same; normal doom gameplay and vanilla compatibility are two completelly different things.

Crispy Doom could be the most similar to a vanilla source-port, as it doesn't allow more advanced features. But it allows bex strings and sky transfer aside from having all the statics limits raised.
Or RUDE, Romero Ultimate Doom Engine, a fork of Chocolate Doom that stands between Chocolate and Crispy.

Yeah this.  Since when is the eternity engine vanilla gameplay?

On 8/18/2021 at 4:49 PM, Kanzen said:

What's your favorite vanilla source port?

Are you asking what's your favorite source port for playing vanilla-compatible maps, or what's your favorite source port for playing Doom unmodded?

Because as others have said, the only source port that could really be described as vanilla itself is Chocolate. Even the new official ports aren't vanilla.

Technically as soon as you step up to Boom, you are no longer vanilla, so Chocolate Doom wins by default.

On vendredi 20 août 2021 at 11:45 PM, Jayextee said:

It's been said, kinda, but if it's a source port it ain't vanilla.

Sometimes I want to make a source port and call it Vanilla Doom, just to make things more confusing for everyone.

But don't worry, that stupid joke would never be worth the effort.

Anyways my favorite vanilla Doom port is Terminal Doom.

For vanilla i'd say Eternity Engine because I'm a pleb who almost exclusively plays with a controller and EE has great support and does force feedback. Excellent port.