Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charlie Love

From DOOM With Love (October 12, 2021)

Nice, I'll have to give it a try.  If you want, I can provide some signed and verified binaries for Linux and Mac?

14 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Nice, I'll have to give it a try.  If you want, I can provide some signed and verified binaries for Linux and Mac?

I use neither so that sounds great.

Edited by Charlie Love

Hello. If it's possible, I would appreciate if you base your fork off of dsda-doom releases and not merge commits before they are "released". The reason is that there are often commits that break compatibility and / or introduce other issues - or there are things I test out and remove before a release because of a bug or something else comes up that leads me to remove it (for instance, feedback from a beta test). I try very hard to make the actual release points as safe as possible, and release things in a timely manner, but in between anything could be in there. You can feel free to go on the cutting edge of commits if that's still your preference, but maybe include some kind of disclaimer about that. Thanks :^)

add optional colored blood and you will have surelly a good number of members of this audience if you keep at it with the future updates.

21 minutes ago, kraflab said:

Hello. If it's possible, I would appreciate if you base your fork off of dsda-doom releases and not merge commits before they are "released". The reason is that there are often commits that break compatibility and / or introduce other issues - or there are things I test out and remove before a release because of a bug or something else comes up that leads me to remove it (for instance, feedback from a beta test). I try very hard to make the actual release points as safe as possible, and release things in a timely manner, but in between anything could be in there. You can feel free to go on the cutting edge of commits if that's still your preference, but maybe include some kind of disclaimer about that. Thanks :^)

My apologies. Waiting on dsda-release ready code is probably for the best for public release. I'll likely continue to merge in upstream changes into the repo as I like to be 'cutting edge', but going forward my public releases will only be distributed with verified release ready dsda code. I'll add a disclaimer to the last release build so there's no further confusion.

5 minutes ago, Charlie Love said:

My apologies. Waiting on dsda-release ready code is probably for the best for public release. I'll likely continue to merge in upstream changes into the repo as I like to be 'cutting edge', but going forward my public releases will only be distributed with verified release ready dsda code. I'll add a disclaimer to last release build so there's no further confusion.

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

add optional colored blood and you will have surelly a good number of members of this audience if you keep at it with the future updates.

As kraflab already mentioned, this can be done in dsda and fdwl using an external dehacked patch (which I shall add to the main post for those that want it). I prefer this then adding an in-game menu-option as it is much more configurable and isn't specific to any particular iwad. My general ethos is likely similar to kraflab in that I'd rather texture customization done on the user side, not in the port itself if I can help it.

Edited by Charlie Love

@Charlie Love Seeing as you were making these builds in the DSDA thread, Congrats! Love to see forks rising up.

A few points to mention;

• The executable is still called DSDA-Doom.exe. Given how you are consistently calling it either From Doom With Love or FDWL, could the executable name be changed? It would help differentiation (And it would help me getting this on wiki)
  • What is the future for FDWL?

16 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

@Charlie Love Seeing as you were making these builds in the DSDA thread, Congrats! Love to see forks rising up.

A few points to mention;

• The executable is still called DSDA-Doom.exe. Given how you are consistently calling it either From Doom With Love or FDWL, could the executable name be changed? It would help differentiation (And it would help me getting this on wiki)
  • What is the future for FDWL?
  • I plan on working on making a new icon and diving in and changing all the references from dsda-doom to with-doom-from-love this weekend.
  • As for the future, I've got a few ideas to integrate various modes into the menu interface itself, but nothing is quite set in stone yet. For the time being it's just a slightly different flavor of dsda.

1 hour ago, Charlie Love said:
  • I plan on working on making a new icon and diving in and changing all the references from dsda-doom to with-doom-from-love this weekend.

Epic. Ill wait for that then to see what you come up with. Glad to see this take its ow ncourse!

1 hour ago, Charlie Love said:
  • As for the future, I've got a few ideas to integrate various modes into the menu interface itself, but nothing is quite set in stone yet. For the time being it's just a slightly different flavor of dsda.

Sounds to me you are making Crispy-DSDA, some additional flavors, but nothing major. Correct?

I've gone ahead and updated everything front facing to the user with From Doom For Love branding. This is pretty much everything from the program files to the save location. There are still quite a few places where I need to decide where to leave the DSDA branded code versus that of FDWL, but I'll work that out over time.

Please ENJOY!

image.png.f4049c92b29042c5c3df582a9f4b7194.png

Edit: My copy of Windows Defender randomly flagged this as a malicious file on download. This is definitely a false positive. Here is a Virus Total scan for proof. 

Edited by Charlie Love

14 hours ago, Charlie Love said:

I've gone ahead and updated everything front facing to the user with From Doom For Love branding. This is pretty much everything from the program files to the save location. There are still quite a few places where I need to decide where to leave the DSDA branded code versus that of FDWL, but I'll work that out over time.

Please ENJOY!

image.png.f4049c92b29042c5c3df582a9f4b7194.png

Edit: My copy of Windows Defender randomly flagged this as a malicious file on download. This is definitely a false positive. Here is a Virus Total scan for proof. 

You could also provide an expected MD5 checksum that people could verify to ensure authenticity.  Less worry then, false positives happen but at least you wouldn't have to keep proving it is clean.

7 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

You could also provide an expected MD5 checksum that people could verify to ensure authenticity.  Less worry then, false positives happen but at least you wouldn't have to keep proving it is clean.

Smart! I have done so.

19 hours ago, Charlie Love said:

I'd say Crispy-DSDA would be a pretty good description for the time being.

Crispy-DSDA, Crispy-FDWL, From Doom With Love - All works out. So long it differentiates :)

And, by the way - Thank you for not only working with DSDA-Doom but being as active as you are maintaining your fork - Its great to see people like you and Gibbon take a seat here with custom source work. Nothing but love. I should make a mention at the Cacowards just for this.

10 minutes ago, Charlie Love said:

Thanks guys, really brightened up my morning!

Just so you know you bright up the community with Crispy-DSDA (Ill just name it from now on) :)

Those neat additions sound like the stuff pull requests are made of! Do consider :D

Although, some may not be for everyone, so depending on the paritcular change, consider adding configuration toggles, or ask the upstream devs how to do it, or for them to do it for ya.

12 hours ago, Gustavo6046 said:

Those neat additions sound like the stuff pull requests are made of! Do consider :D

Although, some may not be for everyone, so depending on the paritcular change, consider adding configuration toggles, or ask the upstream devs how to do it, or for them to do it for ya.

I'm definitely game for any of these additions making their way upstream to dsda, prboom+, or any other source port that wants them. Especially, the view bob and weapon sway toggles if only for my sake. :)

Got a new minor release out today.

doom55.png.8b84f83486e5a257bc45694af0c60ac6.png

You can now hide stat totals for the extended hud. How many monsters, items, or secrets are in the current level? You can now discover that for yourself. Once you get all kills, items, or secrets they will change color to let you know that you've got everything. Hope you all enjoy and have a nice weekend.

58 minutes ago, Charlie Love said:

Got a new minor release out today.

doom55.png.8b84f83486e5a257bc45694af0c60ac6.png

You can now hide stat totals for the extended hud. How many monsters, items, or secrets are in the current level? You can now discover that for yourself. Once you get all kills, items, or secrets they will change color to let you know that you've got everything. Hope you all enjoy and have a nice weekend.

Just realized you changed the executable and everything else to FDWL. I know Crispy-DSDA also sounds nice, but FDWL also has a nice catch to it (And the icon is great). Personally, i would just keep that as-is, its distinctive enough and its also a nice play on MBF (Marine's Best Friend) :)

Congrats with another release!

New release!

doom67.png.161983f01dd266cc9370a8619a7d6877.png

I've brought in 16:9, 16:10, and 21:9 200p/400p resolutions. They are as follows:

• 16:9 - 426x240200 & 854x400 (426x200 was not possible due to scaling issues) This has been remedied in the 10-12-2021 release.
  • 16:10 - 384x200 & 768x400
  • 21:9 - 560x200 & 1120x400

Another nice change thanks to the amazing work of the dsda contributors is a much nicer framerate limit implementation. I've replaced my functional, but rudimentary option with this and the increase in smoothness speaks for itself. I have slightly tweaked it so that you can specify an exact framerate instead of doing multiples of 35.

Changelog:

• Merged in upstream 0.21 dsda-doom changes.
  • Upstream frame limit option has been changed to be a more 1:1 framerate cap (500fps is the default).
  • Doom 95 resolutions have been removed due to poor scaling and redundancy; please use 320x200 or 640x400 instead.
  • 640x400 is now the default instead of 640x480
  • The above widescreen resolutions were added.

Note: Due to these new resolutions being fantasy resolutions, don't expect them to play nicely with software exclusive fullscreen. This also extends to opengl fullscreen as well, but that should hopefully be fixed soon.

Link to the Download

Edited by Charlie Love

Great stuff, I like how it is just different enough from DSDA to make it interesting, it feels more like something to use rather than just for speed running.  GZDoom is uninstalled :)

Not sure how far in the code base this goes, but I discovered that the crosshair position when snapping onto enemies doesn't correctly factor in the crosshair sprite's height and width values to provide proper offsets. This leads to the crosshair being 4 pixels to the right and 4 pixels below where it should be with the default crosshairs.

doom00.png.acc73dc4f191b2eff52a3145650ba495.png

Incorrect

doom81.png.f42498f1483b9024704b590e489d41b4.png

Correct

@kraflab@fabian and any other prboom fork maintainers might want to look into this:

// hu_stuff.c in the SetCrosshairTarget function

if (!hudadd_crosshair_scale)
{
  crosshair.target_screen_x = winx - (crosshair.w / 2);
  crosshair.target_screen_y = SCREENHEIGHT - winy - (crosshair.h / 2);
}
else
{
  crosshair.target_screen_x = (winx - params->deltax1) * 320.0f / params->video->width - (crosshair.w / 2);
  crosshair.target_screen_y = 200 - (winy - params->deltay1) * 200.0f / params->video->height - (crosshair.h / 2);
}

It's a pretty easy fix. Just subtract half of the crosshair's width and height from final calculations. This is already done for the static crosshair, but must have been overlooked when the crosshair lock support was added. I've uploaded an updated build with the fix.

Download New Version

Edited by Charlie Love