Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blackroat

How much coke do you drink a day?

20 minutes ago, Blackroat said:

They see it perfectly normal to smoke cigarettes, though.

Just because it is “normal”, doesn’t mean it’s necessarily a good idea to smoke.

Edited by Silent Wolf

I drink maybe one soda every three weeks. If I'm ordering food and the option is available, I'll usually get sugar-free flavored water.

Seriously, don't poison your body like this. You may feel invincible now, but you won't forever. 

About 5 years ago, I used to drink 2-3 litres of diet coke/diet fanta a day and it never did me any harm. But these days it's just water.

I was down to one 12oz soda a day, but then I got my new job and unfortunately my friend who works with me is a serious addict, so I now will often have 2 or 3 cans in a day.

I've learned that it's not too hard for me to resist when I'm only eating at home. It's much easier for me to not buy soda at the grocery store, where I focus on getting mostly vegetables. Lately I've been going exclusively to the farmer's market, even easier since there are no shelves lined with sugary treats (pastries though YUM)

But at work there's always a 12 pack in the fridge. I sort-of-managed to limit myself to a maximum of three drinks a day, be they coke or iced coffee. I knew things were getting out of hand when I started getting heart palpitations after drinking 2 coffees and 3 cans of sugar in one day...

53 minutes ago, magicsofa said:

I knew things were getting out of hand when I started getting heart palpitations after drinking 2 coffees and 3 cans of sugar in one day...

Yeah I drank like 2-5 cups of coffee a day for years and finally started making the switch to decaf a couple years ago (I love the taste of coffee and I still get a placebo kick out of it, though yes I'm aware there's a wee bit of caffeine in it still).  It's not done "wonders" for my sleep per se, I still have pretty bad insomnia but I feel like my energy levels are a lot more stable now and I don't have the weird muscle twitches I used to get occasionally.

Idk after I smoked for many years and then stopped I kind of realized "wow dependency sucks and is a huge waste of my time" and it occurred to me that if I can (mostly :p ) kick tobacco then I can (mostly :p ) cut out caffeine as well.  The effects of cutting caffeine have obviously been less dramatic than for ciggies but both have improved my disposition and let me feel a bit more in control of myself, which is nice.

Is OP from the southern US? Using the word 'coke' to refer to all soda pop is a regionalism I've always found charming.

It's funny, I used to love Dr. Pepper as a kid, and since I grew up in Appalachia there was usually Mountain Dew around which wasn't my favorite but I didn't mind it from time to time. Now I don't really care for Dr. Pepper and I find Mountain Dew unbearable.

I do enjoy a Coca-Cola on occasion. Maybe twice a month. It's still my first choice with a burger and fries or a slice of pizza (none of which I eat very often). My lunchbreaks are usually a deli sandwich or salad, and I'm firmly converted to Hal's New York Seltzer. I also have an old-fashioned soda siphon at home (think Bugs or Groucho), which I use a few times per week. Great investment. The pleasure really comes from the bubbles and the tartness of the carbonic acid. Maybe throw a lemon wedge in there. I don't miss the sugar, though once you've gotten the knack of it whipping up a flavored syrup on the stovetop is actually very quick and simple.

Whenever I see people wearing themselves out hauling heavy loads of soda pop around on public transit, I'm always dumbfounded.

1 minute ago, Aaron Blain said:

Is OP from the southern US? Using the word 'coke' to refer to all soda pop is a regionalism I've always found charming.

It's funny, I used to love Dr. Pepper as a kid, and since I grew up in Appalachia there was usually Mountain Dew around which wasn't my favorite but I didn't mind it from time to time. Now I don't really care for Dr. Pepper and I find Mountain Dew unbearable.

I do enjoy a Coca-Cola on occasion. Maybe twice a month. It's still my first choice with a burger and fries or a slice of pizza (none of which I eat very often). My lunchbreaks are usually a deli sandwich or salad, and I'm firmly converted to Hal's New York Seltzer. I also have an old-fashioned soda siphon at home (think Bugs or Groucho), which I use a few times per week. Great investment. The pleasure really comes from the bubbles and the tartness of the carbonic acid. Maybe throw a lemon wedge in there. I don't miss the sugar, though once you've gotten the knack of it whipping up a flavored syrup on the stovetop is actually very quick and simple.

Whenever I see people wearing themselves out hauling heavy loads of soda pop around on public transit, I'm always dumbfounded.

Isn't it called Coke? I am not from USA. English is my foreign language.

1 minute ago, Blackroat said:

Isn't it called Coke? I am not from USA. English is my foreign language.

'Coke' is short for 'Coca-Cola' in much of the USA, but in some places, especially the South, it can refer to any type of soda pop. For example, the sentence, "Pepsi is my favorite kind of coke." makes sense in some regions but sounds very strange to other people.

i used to drink far too much cola and other sugary beverages for a while. then, not too long ago this year, i got a kidney stone. not a very large one, but still incredibly painful. had to go to the ER to find out why my insides felt like they were splitting open, couldn't eat anything the whole day, and threw up everything i had ingested during the night. thankfully, the thing left my system shortly afterwards due to its small size, but as a result of this scenario, i started drinking much more sparkling water over soda.

don't drink 3 liters a day, try to get used to the taste of sparkling water. the carbonation is part of why i liked sodas so much, so switching to it worked out relatively well. there should be lots of different flavored waters that you'd like the taste of if you look in stores.

8 hours ago, Blackroat said:

I don't have an intention to live long.

So you are choosing slow and painful death with expensive health problems. Good luck with that.

8 hours ago, Blackroat said:

They see it perfectly normal to smoke cigarettes, though.

It will differ from place to place. People are creatures of habit on the whole so yes, it is somewhat still considered "normal" even by non-smokers. But your initial statement was "most adult people see nothing wrong with smoking cigarettes" - an entirely different statement and one that is demonstrably not true. You would struggle to find someone alive in the modern developed world today who does not know that taking up smoking is really just not very clever. The other common bad habits in the modern world, alcohol and junk food, will not necessarily do major harm if you can control yourself. But smoking is pretty much a guaranteed path to significant physical deterioration over time, major health issues and premature death.

None

I used to drink 0,5 l a day but I quit about 4 years ago. Did start to drink more coffee though, but I limit it two 2 cups a day max

5 hours ago, Murdoch said:

So you are choosing slow and painful death with expensive health problems. Good luck with that.

It will differ from place to place. People are creatures of habit on the whole so yes, it is somewhat still considered "normal" even by non-smokers. But your initial statement was "most adult people see nothing wrong with smoking cigarettes" - an entirely different statement and one that is demonstrably not true. You would struggle to find someone alive in the modern developed world today who does not know that taking up smoking is really just not very clever. The other common bad habits in the modern world, alcohol and junk food, will not necessarily do major harm if you can control yourself. But smoking is pretty much a guaranteed path to significant physical deterioration over time, major health issues and premature death.

If smoking cigarretes wouldn't be seen perfectly normal, there wouldn't be this many cigarette smokers. Would there?

And seriously, what is healthy in life? Working on your feet for too many hours to earn money is something healthy? No, it isn't.

Not sleeping enough is something healthy? No, it isn't.

And let's suppose, you live healthy as you say, does it mean a painless death? No, Not really. Your body will break down sooner or later no matter what you do, even though you won't have a trafic accident or get murdered or anything.

Edited by Blackroat

5 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

I limit it two 2 cups a day max

That's how I've been drinking my coffee for years. I've been battling my habit to have my second cup at night. Nowadays, I try to make sure I have my two cups during the day so I can kick the night-coffee habit.

15 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

That's how I've been drinking my coffee for years. I've been battling my habit to have my second cup at night. Nowadays, I try to make sure I have my two cups during the day so I can kick the night-coffee habit.

Yeah. I have one in the morning, and one in the afternoon (at around 2).

But I'm also an evening person and don't need coffee to stay awake. Except maybe when I need to drive somewhere late.

3 hours ago, Blackroat said:

If smoking cigarretes wouldn't be seen perfectly normal, there wouldn't be this many cigarette smokers. Would there?

I said somewhat normal. It's accepted as somewhat normal because it's been around for so long. But you seem to be either completely missing my point or deliberately ignoring it. Your initial statement, and the one I called you out on, was "most adult people see nothing wrong with smoking cigarettes". This is not the same as it being considered somewhat normal. Junk food addiction and alcoholism is considered somewhat normal as well in the sense that it happens a lot so it is part of modern society. But most people still understand it's a problem. You are confusing and/or conflating two quite different concepts.

And seriously, what is healthy in life?

Including but not limited to... eating the right foods. Regular exercise. Getting a decent amount of sleep. Practicing good body and dental hygiene. Trying to avoid significant amounts of stress. Taking time for yourself to pursue fun creative endeavours to help your mental well being. The positive health affects of these things is well documented and proven. It will not 100% guarantee you will not suffer some form of horrible disease and painful death, but it will heavily swing the odds in your favour.

Working on your feet for too many hours to earn money is something healthy? No, it isn't.

... and... ? I don't understand your point. Of course these things are unhealthy. Any idiot knows that.

And let's suppose, you live healthy as you say, does it mean a painless death? No, Not really. Your body will break down sooner or later no matter what you do,

Again, and? I know how death and disease works dude. Nothing in life is for certain. I am in the best shape of my life at present, but I could drop dead of an undiagnosed heart condition tomorrow. Does that mean I am going to start slugging down three litres of that vile crap a day knowing full well it will make me fat, ruin my teeth, put me at painfully high risk of diabetes, and generally just make me feel like absolute shit most of the time when living healthy leaves me feeling energetic, clear headed and in a generally good mood far more than bad? No. That is absolute lunacy.

You want to treat your body like shit and die young, have at it. It's your life to waste. But don't try and justify it with nonsense about well I will probably get some horrible disease anyway and vague references to other unhealthy things. I think your attitude is symptomatic of a deeper psychological issue. And I sincerely hope you one day get the help you need with it and don't waste your life.

34 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Junk food addiction and alcoholism is considered somewhat normal as well in the sense that it happens a lot so it is part of modern society. But most people still understand it's a problem. You are confusing and/or conflating two quite different concepts.

Eating junk food is perfectly accepted. Yes.  Even mothers let their kids eat them. Also fast food...Smoking cigarettes is also perfectly accepted between adults, which means it is seen perfectly normal to smoke between adults... Only not for children.

But alcoholism? People look down on alcoholics. No way.

I don't know how you can even compare a food addicition with alcoholism. Lol.

Edited by Blackroat

And seriously, what is healthy in life? Working on your feet for too many hours to earn money is something healthy? No, it isn't.

And let's suppose, you live healthy as you say, does it mean a painless death? No, Not really. Your body will break down sooner or later no matter what you do, even though you won't have a trafic accident or get murdered or anything.

Anything can be relativized to the point of becoming good or bad but that's really missing the point. Adding sugar into your coffee in the morning isn't as bad as having a whole chocolate cake, and having a whole chocolate cake isn't nearly as bad as heroin, and heroin isn't nearly as bad as shooting yourself in the head, but at some point such comparisons clearly become pointless, not to mention absolutely irrelevant. They become transparently a way of avoiding confrontation with the consequences of your actions, and I would hope that anyone that is, for example, downplaying the severity of 3 liters of Pepsi a day is honest enough with themselves to understand and accept that.

Smoking, just like eating a bunch of shitty food, is common. It being common has absolutely nothing to do with the objectively factual, observable, repeatable damage that those things do to people. It being common doesn't make it better, it makes it significantly worse. People thinking that smoking is common and normal doesn't make it better, it makes it significantly worse.

If you replaced your Pepsi with 3 liters of water, had a jug of blended vegetables for breakfast and hit the gym for two hours a day, yes, you could get hit by a car. You could also get hit by a car if you keep drinking three liters of Pepsi a day. Assuming you don't, it seems like a great idea to keep your body running as well as possible for as long as possible. I've known someone who died before they hit 30 by drinking and smoking themselves to death, I've also had a neighbor that lived happily and actively until she was past 100. 

It's also not just about staving off death, it's about how much better you'll feel day to day. You really owe it to yourself.

There's a YouTuber I follow who needed heart surgery at 28 because he drank too much energy drink. 

let that sink in for a while. 

Honestly, I can't decide if Blackroat has just been deliberately shit-stirring for the past 24 hours in this thread because they're bored and this is a source of cheap entertainment for 'em or if they're genuinely this miserable and grim. If it weren't for their 4 month post history prior to making this thread and posting these utterly befuddling responses, I would've assumed they were just a shitposting troll.

32 minutes ago, Blackroat said:

I don't know how you can even compare a food addicition with alcoholism. Lol.

I was not comparing the two. I was giving examples of two different things that are somewhat normal in modern society in the sense that people expect them to be a thing, but are not good. But now that you bring it up, there are similarities. Junkfood addiction can cause major health damage and financial loss due to wasting money on the thing itself plus medical bills especially if you live somewhere without free health care, just like alcohol addiction can. The precise damage will vary from case to case depending on severity, but the underlying core concepts are loosely similar.

@almostmatt1 spot on.

4 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Honestly, I can't decide if Blackroat has just been deliberately shit-stirring for the past 24 hours in this thread because they're bored and this is a source of cheap entertainment for 'em or if they're genuinely this miserable and grim.

Pretty sure it's the latter, and he has built up this wall of bullshit, strawman arguments to try and justify the way he treats himself due to some underlying psychological issue he can't or won't face.

30 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I was not comparing the two. I was giving examples of two different things that are somewhat normal in modern society in the sense that people expect them to be a thing, but are not good. But now that you bring it up, there are similarities. Junkfood addiction can cause major health damage and financial loss due to wasting money on the thing itself plus medical bills especially if you live somewhere without free health care, just like alcohol addiction can.

Alcoholism is not seen normal nor accepted. People look down on alcoholics.

You still keep comparing two.

Being a tobacco addict or a junk food addict is far more accepted than being an alcoholic. Lol.

Edited by Blackroat

Personally, the right answer is TO EACH THEIR OWN. So what if OP is drinking 3L of Cola per day? Are you now going to bring up the eternal tax excuse ("ugh, I will have to pay for his/her hospitalization from my taxes and public health insurance!")? Damn, that's always convenient to bring up! That's the nature of public funding, there'll always be some who benefit more than others.

This is not even harmful to others, unlike if he/she was drinking sixpacks of beer daily instead (excessive alcohol, unlike sugar, can also make you a danger to others!) I can appreciate you saying clearly that "THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU SHOULD DO", because this forum also has easily influenced kids and teenagers, and they have much easier access to sugar than alcohol, and would think it's cool to copy the OP (which this brings us to the other utterly convenient defense, to THINK OF THE CHILDREN). But here we have an adult, possibly with some mental issues (I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, I'm not saying "insane" here) who feels relaxed after drinking too much of Cola per day. Yeah, it's an addiction, probably needs to be controlled away. 

I rarely drink any kind of soda. I use a mixer that you add to water. No sugar or artificial sweeteners, but it has caffeine in it. 80mg a teaspoon. I've never even felt remotely addicted to caffeine.

I do drink 1-2 gallons of white grapefeuit juice every day though, for the past 5 years or so.

Also @Blackroat, I have no idea what you're trying to say. Going to the bar and having some spirits or watching a ballgame while having a cold one is completely normal, even if you don't do it. Smokers are looked down upon much more, because almost all cigarette smokers are addicted (and it's gross in many different ways, and this is coming from someone who smoked cigars for years) as apposed to people who drink. Most people who drink aren't alcoholics.

Now being a full-on alcoholic is going to catch you more flak than being a smoker, but you seem to be implying that drinking in general is going to be seen as worse than being a smoker. Reading through your comments has me confused though, so correct me if I'm misunderstanding something.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

18 minutes ago, Blackroat said:

Alcoholism is not seen normal. People look down on alcoholics.

You keep misunderstanding me. I said "somewhat normal". You seem to be think that normal means always means ok and accepted. The correct definition is "conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected." If one looks at modern society, particularly in places where binge drinking is part of the culture, it is completely normal to come across people with varying degrees of alcoholism. Doesn't mean it's considered a good thing.

And yes, junk food addiction can have severe effects on your health, just like alcholism no matter how much you want to say it doesn't.

17 minutes ago, printz said:

Personally, the right answer is TO EACH THEIR OWN.

Yes, if people want to ruin their health that's their call. But if they bring it up in a public forum, they should expect comments about it.