Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rouge the were-bat

doom levels that you rather set up a slip and slide over a ruptured septic tank then play anymore of it

54 minutes ago, yakfak said:

tnt31.wad

having to bullshit your way out of the key not spawning is one of the greatest unintentional puzzles in all of doom and has just the right amount of texture for a map as otherwise alienating as pharaoh in 1996

4 minutes ago, msx2plus said:

having to bullshit your way out of the key not spawning is one of the greatest unintentional puzzles in all of doom and has just the right amount of texture for a map as otherwise alienating as pharaoh in 1996

yes!

it's like playing a NES game the devs didn't test which becomes almost impossible not because of sensible difficulty but because you despawned the boss
and then someone works out how to beat it anyway

serendipity occasionally better than design

3 hours ago, Xaser said:

Upping the ante here: If riding a slip-n-slide into a septic tank were somehow part of a magic ritual that would prevent these sorts of hatefest threads from appearing, I'd don a swimsuit right the fuck now.

Naked, or I’m not impressed.

46 minutes ago, Phobus said:

Naked, or I’m not impressed.

pics as well or it didnt happen

Metal from TNT. Vague name and only slightly less vague map. Habitat may indeed be a butt-ugly, incoherent mess, where every design choice is not only purposeless but contrary to all logic, but the fights aren't so bad when you know they're coming (blur sphere next to a fake cavern wall notwithstanding). Metal has to be one of the most anonymous, ugliest, abstract abominations I have ever come across in Doom. The music might be awesome, but it clashes too much with the combat flow or lack thereof. Too much of this map looks as if though the default industrial texture was just slapped down without a second thought. Finally, the hideous over scaling of the last darkened room where you're dodging Arachnotron fire from approximately half a mile away ranks among the sloppiest combat jobs situations ever. The map John Minadeo did for Icarus shares the same traits for the most part but is not so offensively lacking in character as to have me go 'why bother.' Chris Klie's 'Combine' comes close, but it does have character of a fashion. Unlike this ugly picked pockmark on Doom mapping.

7 hours ago, Xaser said:

Upping the ante here: If riding a slip-n-slide into a septic tank were somehow part of a magic ritual that would prevent these sorts of hatefest threads from appearing, I'd don a swimsuit right the fuck now.

I don't know, if all cliche and overdiscussed topics had thread titles as unique and grammatically incoherent as this one, it would be a big improvement in my opinion.

I don't think there's any level bad enough to make me choose sliding into sewage over playing it. If I seriously had to pick my least favourite map from the official games though, I'd have to say downtown from doom 2.

And just to add a bit of positivity to a negative thread, I'll say my favourite map from the original games is The Pit, from doom 2. Seems to be an unpopular opinion, and even I can't really put to words what I like so much about the map. Something about it just really resonates with me.

11 hours ago, JezChrist said:

Friendly reminder that the point of the thread is to talk about the level you dislike...The septic tank part was hyperbolic.

(And surely there is one level that you disliked at some point, and don't feel like replaying...)

I therefore propose we rename this thread : "Which doom level you dread replaying or hate, and why is it e3m2 ?"

Honestly, I don't really understand why e3m2 gets so much hate. Not that I think it's good or anything, it's just that in the entirety of episode 3, there is like one good map and the rest are shite, so Slough of Despair is par for the course. x)

Cliche thought, but really not liking Episode 2 and 3 at all from Ultimate Doom. Episode 2, to me some of the levels are kinda ugly as hell, especially the one map in Ep2 with a hallway that has walls and ceiling of solid bright red - hurts my eyes. Episode 3, while I like the hellish style of it, it suffers from unreal ammo shortage. This was one thing that unmotivated me from finishing the entire Ultimate Doom campaign on UV - the constant shortage of resources, and Ep3 was absolutely brutal with not giving you much to kill with. At the same time, I am really, REALLY bad at finding secrets. But I don't know, not a fan of those episodes, just struggling to master them at the moment.

Memento Mori style “Secrets” I quit at map 4 after looking up a guide and seeing that I need to find a section that was marked as a secret to get the red key. That map had other problems but I don’t mind shotgunning Barrons and hell knights, I don’t like the (I believe) 88 unit wide hallways but if I could actually beat the level without wall humping I wouldn’t care as much. 

Yes, I don't understand either how people fell in love with the original memento mori...

Their design is always weird and cryptic...

Why hide it that way ? It's not even like a fun puzzle at all.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, Gibbon said:

You haven't played enough maps by Gene Bird

I was waiting for someone to say this.

For me:

Carribean - TNT

>_> never again