Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

Countries, Peoples and Geography discussion

I'd love to visit Ireland again. I've got the time and money but they're still in lockdown, all the bars are closed and there's not a live band in sight. I'm sure I'd still have a good time but I might also come back to the states with a fancy new illness to spread around instead of an extra 5 lbs of weight gained from all the beer and good food.

On 8/23/2021 at 1:30 PM, Coopersville said:

When I tell foreigners where I'm from, I typically say "the tip of South Ontario" which isn't isn't completely true. The Southernmost point of of Ontario is Point Pelee, which is about two hours from where I live. I've never been there, which is kind of weird to me after thinking about it. I'm planning a small road trip in the near future to see what the "end" of southern Canada looks like. I want to make a little travel vlog about it on YouTube. I might post it in this thread if it's still active. 

Video's up:

This is what most people think when I say I'm from italy

087.jpg.bab984a4e082d1ac77e970dcb79227a6.jpg

Also I love how the town they used in the window is almost identical to mine

On 9/9/2021 at 4:32 AM, Coopersville said:

Video's up:

Cool video, but at 12:34 you called the language script 'a satanic language'. It's not, it's used for several different native languages across Canada. It was created to help Aboriginal Canadians with reading due to high rates of illiteracy, which was highly successful. A lot of Nunavummiuq people I know use it alongside English. I think the Cree and other various Inuit peoples use it too. The majority Native Americans/Aboriginal Canadians tend to use the Latin script like we do like the Haudenosaunee, Mi'kmaq, Cherokee, Navajo etc. Ontario's a cool place, I hope to go someday.

On 9/9/2021 at 9:37 PM, TenenteZashu said:

This is what most people think when I say I'm from italy

087.jpg.bab984a4e082d1ac77e970dcb79227a6.jpg

Also I love how the town they used in the window is almost identical to mine

Is it true Italians drink copious amounts of red wine, or is that just a thing you see in the movies? You never see a mafia boss with a carling or a pepsi, it's always a glass of some expensive wine.

On 8/21/2021 at 11:57 PM, Eggman07 said:

Uh

Bulgaria is nice I guess.

My Girlfriends Mom is from there, was in Nessebar and other Cities twice with her.

Nice old Roman City (since i am spanish everything roman related triggers me hard).

But the Buildings are more from the byzantinian Period.

Had a Hotel that wasn't in the Center of the Party Mile, near a old Soviet Jet.

So it was nice to sleep and to reach every Spot fastly.

People have a Character mixed between russian and turkish (logically in that Spot).

Driving there is a bit kamikaze.

Learned to read kyrillic, if you have some greek Skills its easy to lean some Symbols from there.

Still don't get it why they use B for V.

Also don't get it why germanic Languages invented the W (double V).

3colyiM9fg&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

dNCO9kaYqpC1ub4496UEd9Fgu1S45VoxBONK8=&r

R.96b2fde2ae1ede080f7ec8e1ba82bfb3?rik=G

15 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

Is it true Italians drink copious amounts of red wine, or is that just a thing you see in the movies? You never see a mafia boss with a carling or a pepsi, it's always a glass of some expensive wine.

Depends in which part of the country you're in, though speaking from personal experience wine is not always A-grade and unless it's a special occasion you either find mid-tear store-bought wine or cheap brands that come in cartons, a bit like milk

On 8/24/2021 at 2:23 PM, Lippeth said:

I'd love to visit Ireland again. I've got the time and money but they're still in lockdown, all the bars are closed and there's not a live band in sight. I'm sure I'd still have a good time but I might also come back to the states with a fancy new illness to spread around instead of an extra 5 lbs of weight gained from all the beer and good food.

I'm from the north of Scotland, which has a strong Irish demographic. During the famine and the industrial era, a lot of folks came over here to work in the textile industry. I'm not sure if it's true but supposedly my grandmother had an Irish surname. There's an entire area in the western part of the city that was designated for them, they were seen as undesirables by the rich. The impact of poverty and deprivation can still be seen today sadly. I like the Irish language, it sounds nice. Almost fantasy-like in a way. I would say wait it out until next Summer and head over, try not to fall for any of the tourist traps in Dublin. Cork is nice as is Donegal. Hope you enjoy your trip!

On 8/24/2021 at 4:16 PM, Sena said:

No whales in Wales, no swans in Swansea. Pure tosh.

I don't get it, why is Wales called Wales if there are no bloody Whales? How is Swansea by the way? I've heard of it but have never been. Is it like Glasgow?

10 hours ago, TenenteZashu said:

Depends in which part of the country you're in, though speaking from personal experience wine is not always A-grade and unless it's a special occasion you either find mid-tear store-bought wine or cheap brands that come in cartons, a bit like milk

I see, well it's strange how Italians are always depicted as wine-loving gangsters. I get the Mafia are rich but don't they ever fancy a pint or a glass of milk sometimes? Rarely do I ever see a Mafia character in a cartoon drink something other than wine, maybe a martini but that's about it. 

13 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Belgium.

Beautiful place, but which part?

3 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:
4 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Belgium.

Beautiful place, but which part?

Someone hasn't read their Douglas Adams. Otherwise, they'd admonish me for using that word outside of a Serious Screenplay. :)

2 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

How is Swansea by the way? I've heard of it but have never been. Is it like Glasgow?

The city's always been known for its high car theft, but it's mainly a drab city full of neds with nothing going on, and the kind of place not good for anything except retiring and dying in. Comparatively, Glasgow's got a lot going on, namely drug deals and gang warfare, at least that's what I've been told, maybe someone else will say it's not that bad, but I don't know, Swansea's got its problems but at least there's no shortage of chippies or Lidls, which is all you need really. 

Fun fact, there are more Euskera people in Argentina than in Euskadi (Basque Country)
Also, most Welsh people are in the Chubut province, most of the cities have Welsh names and there is the biggest Welsh community outside Wales.
Some cities/places with Welsh names are:
Trelew
Gaiman
Puerto Madryn
Dolavon
Bryn Gwyn

On 10/20/2021 at 11:06 PM, leejacksonaudio said:

Someone hasn't read their Douglas Adams. Otherwise, they'd admonish me for using that word outside of a Serious Screenplay. :)

Douglas Adams, he's the guy who wrote Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy right? I'm as dumb as a doorknob, but I read from time to time. I have an old scuffed up signed copy of one of his books, got it for 50p at a local charity shop. Should probably read through it.

England is an absolute shithole, awful people and terrible """food""" where the old and the dying outnumber the young, filled with doomed ideologies and racists as far as the eye can see. You think we all talk like James Bond but we actually talk more like Grimgor Ironhide and his entourage of Ork buddies. We have no gun crime, quite simply because we're not allowed them because we can't be trusted, instead we just stab each other, in fact someone stabbed someone in my vague area this week outside a Morrisons in some shithole after an argument, probably on some quality fett or some low grade smack, it's common.

Everything is grey and depressing, if your neighbour isn't on drugs he's 50% likely to be a fucking paedophile. Fun fact you aren't allowed to show emotion passed the age of 8, gets beat out of you. Also amusingly there is no Nightmare on Elm Street spinoff/knockoff in England as we don't have dreams.

Basically, don't come to England,

- Sincerely signed, an Englishman.

9 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

England is an absolute shithole

I'm from Scotland, part English too. I've never really liked England either for this reason. Manchester, Newcastle, Sheffield, Carlisle and Liverpool are the only cities I really like, Exeter and Cambridge at a push. Growing up, England to me looked so dull. The speech, the weather, the houses, the food. It's all so basic. Even the telly was shite, who the fuck wants to watch Tipping Point? I'd always prefer to watch Scottish TV and movies over English media. I don't think it applies to all of England, the north of England is beautiful and is distinct from the south in many ways. At least with northerners they know how to have a laugh. Can't even say 'hello' to a Londoner, they're like robots. The food I don't mind so much, better than eating potatoes every day. I think this more so applies to industrial cities, in Hull I met a guy who had similar experiences. Got the shit kicked out of you if you looked 'off'. Poverty is a severe issue in the UK yet the government do fuck all about it. Then you get a bunch of angry poor chavs running around causing problems for people. They try to copy gangsters from America, too 'mature' to just enjoy things but too 'cool' to stop acting like a fuckwit and get an actual life. Glasgow has a lot of this, neds getting into gang fights threatening random folk with knives. The sectarian bullshit doesn't help either. Suppose there's good and bad parts everywhere.

12 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

Douglas Adams, he's the guy who wrote Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy right? I'm as dumb as a doorknob, but I read from time to time. I have an old scuffed up signed copy of one of his books, got it for 50p at a local charity shop. Should probably read through it.

I would recommend doing so. The Hitchhiker's Guide series is probably my favorite book series. And maybe it's because I'm American, but the dry humour and characters acting completely normally to absolutely insane situations caught my attention. It's probably why I like Monty Python so much; most situations are completely absurd but they're treated as normal. My favorite book of the series is the second one, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, but the first book is a great start.

I realize the humour might not have as much impact on a Scot, since you're probably used to English comedy, but it really hit me in my funny bone. I grew up with American sitcoms from the 80's and early 90's. Which were painfully boring and saccharine; when I found Monty Python I just fell in love with the eccentricity of British comedy. So your mileage may vary, but if you have it, might as well read it, it's funny.

15 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

England is an absolute shithole, awful people and terrible """food""" where the old and the dying outnumber the young, filled with doomed ideologies and racists as far as the eye can see. You think we all talk like James Bond but we actually talk more like Grimgor Ironhide and his entourage of Ork buddies. We have no gun crime, quite simply because we're not allowed them because we can't be trusted, instead we just stab each other, in fact someone stabbed someone in my vague area this week outside a Morrisons in some shithole after an argument, probably on some quality fett or some low grade smack, it's common.

Everything is grey and depressing, if your neighbour isn't on drugs he's 50% likely to be a fucking paedophile. Fun fact you aren't allowed to show emotion passed the age of 8, gets beat out of you. Also amusingly there is no Nightmare on Elm Street spinoff/knockoff in England as we don't have dreams.

An absolute shithole? Right now? Man, I don't relate to this. People are pretty nice round where I am. I have no patriotic zeal for the UK or England (grew up elsewhere) and think culturally and esp. economically the country has a lot of things seriously wrong. But, for example, levels of prejudice re. immigration, race, homosexuality etc were some of the lowest (the lowest in some metrics iirc) in EU populations according to the EUs own social survey data. I see this anecdotally in the attitudes of many of my friends who are European and on the whole a little less liberal and according to them, whose home countries are a lot less liberal. That said, I'm sure tolerance is dropping post-brexit.

Anyway, I'm in a fairly big and very diverse city, Birmingham, so my view will be distorted. Can relate more thinking back to when I lived in small, very homogenous villages in North Yorkshire 20 years ago, but small places everywhere tend to be a bit like that IME.

"""food""". Oh yes it's shit. Decent food is made a specialty rather than a rule. Like the 'artisanal' bullshit slung out everywhere now with an increase in price unmatched by one in quality. Britain eats with its eyes. Some things I see selling gangbusters at indy food markets here wouldn't shift two units in Greece no matter how many edible flowers and vibrant colours were worked in. 

5 hours ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

I don't think it applies to all of England, the north of England is beautiful and is distinct from the south in many ways. At least with northerners they know how to have a laugh. Can't even say 'hello' to a Londoner, they're like robots. The food I don't mind so much, better than eating potatoes every day. I think this more so applies to industrial cities, in Hull I met a guy who had similar experiences. Got the shit kicked out of you if you looked 'off'. Poverty is a severe issue in the UK yet the government do fuck all about it.

London's another country. You can't reason much about the English from a capital city where not even half the population are British, let alone English. But I agree, there is a London attitude. It's rammed, it's busy, and people are on average a bit higher status (even talking physical capital, due to aforementioned lower proportion of native blood, London is noticeably hotter) and I've often found those things can increase brusqueness.

With you to re. poverty. The UC uplift reversal has been reckoned to possibly put 290k children under the poverty line. OK, it's one social sciences study, an area of academia that has a lack of rigor and intellectual diversity atm, but even if we assume a bad case of model-tweaking from semi-competent activitist researcher and halve it: that's 145k kids living £20 a week away from poverty in the 5th richest nation on earth. Fucksake. Energy bills are rocketing. How many are £30 away? £40? We have the NHS, some social safety net, but England is a deeply capitalist country, and worst of all not an efficient one. I respect the Scots for keeping to the humane spirit of Adam Smith.

On a brighter note. I'm going to Sweden end of the month. My best mate moved to Gothenberg a couple of years back and has said lots of good things about it. One genius social policy he mentioned is that everyone's salary is public info. That one simple change makes so many of the shitty or merely human reasons for pay inequality within orgs much harder to get away with. National psyche a bit reserved he reckons, we'll see.

19 minutes ago, holaareola said:

An absolute shithole? Right now? Man, I don't relate to this. People are pretty nice round where I am. I have no patriotic zeal for the UK or England (grew up elsewhere) and think culturally and esp. economically the country has a lot of things seriously wrong. But, for example, levels of prejudice re. immigration, race, homosexuality etc were some of the lowest (the lowest in some metrics iirc) in EU populations according to the EUs own social survey data. I see this anecdotally in the attitudes of many of my friends who are European and on the whole a little less liberal and according to them, whose home countries are a lot less liberal. That said, I'm sure tolerance is dropping post-brexit.

Anyway, I'm in a fairly big and very diverse city, Birmingham, so my view will be distorted. Can relate more thinking back to when I lived in small, very homogenous villages in North Yorkshire 20 years ago, but small places everywhere tend to be a bit like that IME.

I live in some warzone village with a gang and drug problem in the east midlands somewhere, 95% sure we didn't move here but were instead air-dropped in as a social experiment to see how long it took for us to wipe ourselves out, hell I distinctly remember the park at the end of my road being set on fire for fun, some youths blew up a church later on, a semi famous footballer got murdered on a night out in our nearby town... Just y'know, town/village things from 1066.

Racism in my area is rampant but that is because everyone you meet is either a yob or a relic of a dying age, our schools failed to address problem students and were too busy making us take SATs that are proven useless, my C in our respective ICT program is literally useless and I'm the only dickhead who ever turned up to the Job Centre in a suit or who was actively looking for work and not because they had to be there instead of dossing on the dole.

I live in a bleak, lifeless, soulless little ghetto that houses """ex""" crooks (I think they call em halfway houses or something, they go there after prison) that aren't exactly "rehabilitated", no joke my work colleagues refuse to drop me off on my street, it's an infamous one in the community.

But with all that said and done, at least I don't live in Worksop, if the England was an arse that would be a boil on it.

On 8/21/2021 at 5:03 PM, ReeseJamPiece said:

I'm gonna be honest, I dislike the UK. There's plenty of reasons for it: bad weather, grouchy people, declining education, pretty much useless monarchy, class-based struggles, poor infrastructure, terrible TV, overly nationalistic and racist people, football hooligans, chavs, Love Island, Scotland's politics and the London accent which I absolutely despise because of how snobby it sounds. Also, there's the TV license thing which makes no sense whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, there are aspects of British culture I enjoy! Nothing beats a chippy. But to say the UK isn't without its issues is absurd. The US is a lot larger in comparison to the UK, we're only about the size of California whereas the US has 50 states + Puerto Rico, American Samoa, US Virgin Islands and the absolute unit that is Alaska. I despise a lot about the US, their culture of globalist consumerism, mindlessness and ignorance is toxic and I'd never drink an American soda. But there is a lot to admire: the music, the city, the culture, the history. It is the land of the free, a place where anybody can be anybody and do as they want and think what they want. The UK and the US have historically always been rivals since the Civil War and still are to this day. We both mock each other, Norf FC meme is quite funny, and we keep trying to outdo one another. UK in comparison to the US is like an old historic relic while America is the happy-go-lucky guy who dresses in bright colourful clothing and never seems to shut up. American cars are brilliant but they stand out like a sore thumb in Britain. The UK generally has less colour than the US in general which I've found to be a bit dull and dreary. American sodas and food are drenched in sugar, I drank two cans of yank Mountain Dew and felt my teeth rot. But this lenient and carefree lifestyle is something I admire just as much as I despise. That freedom is something we all seek and desire. Native Americans are also very cool with the Apache, Cherokee, Sioux, Haudenosaunee, Tlingit, Lenape etc all being very proud and unique peoples with their own culture. If I had the chance to move to the States I would, probably someplace big and open like Montana or Tennessee. The US is truly a fascinating and great country.

I'm American, always wanted to go to England, or at least the U.K. (people in Scotland / Northern Ireland / Wales don't mind being called "British" but despise being called "English", right? That's why I made the distinction, correct me if I'm wrong.). 

I wouldn't see the US and England as rivals, I think of the British amicably. They're out allies and friends, we worked together in World Wars, Korea, rebuilding Germany, etc. We share a lot of cultural similarities too, despite our differences. You're government's obsession with licenses isn't as excessive here, but it still exists. In general, lots of regulations and taxes and forms for things. The Norf FC memes are hilarious too.

My biggest problem is the people in The States treating politics like a religion. In general, religious activity has been on a downturn here, but people still have an inherent need for something higher to believe in. Instead of funneling that into something productive they, whether consciously or not, make politics their religion. To the point where the colors red and blue will set them off. It's ridiculous. Arguing all day on Twitter and Reddit. It's pathetic. 

Also, you're comments on American soda: don't drink the liquid garbage that is Mountain Dew. Coca Cola, Royal Crown Cola (known as "R.C."), Double Cola, Barg's Root Beer, Fitz's Root Beer and Cream Soda, Moxie and Cheerwine are all worth trying. Higher quality, more acids, fruit flavors (even Coca Cola still has a fair amount of lime / lemon in it), and some other cool things. Moxie is very ginger-y and has ingredients similar to bitters (I don't know much about alcohol culture in the U.K. so bitters is an important ingredient in many cocktails. I don't drink, but I find mixology an interesting subject). Fitz's is based in St. Louis, Missouri and are very well made and taste great. I try not to drink soda too often, but if you avoid it entirely, you're missing out on good stuff. Just drink it in moderation, as even the best sodas make me feel gross if I drink it more than a few times a week. 

I agree with hating the globalism and consumerism. I'm all for free markets, but consumer culture is wasteful and vapid. 

If you ever visit, I really recommend checking out National Parks, especially ones based around American Indians or the Civil War. Some cities in the Midwest, like St. Louis have great attractions. The St. Louis Zoo and the Science Mueseum are a lot of fun. If you every go through Evansville Indiana, pm me, I know all the good restaurants / attractions. The likelihood of driving through is actually pretty high, as multiple important highways run through here. 

In general, America has tons of beautiful environments, Georgia, Virginia, Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, and Florida are all just gorgeous. If you go to Florida, avoid Orlando and go to St. Augistine, you won't regret it. I also recommend Washington D.C. and Maryland. Really pretty, swampy areas. If you've ever played Fallout 3, the capitol area is so accurate I could navigate it without looking at a map lmao. I don't even like Fallout 3 half as much as Fallout 1 and New Vegas, so I'm curious how accurate those are. 

Anyway, thanks for this post, only countries I've been to have been Honduras and Canada. I have stuff I can say about them, but I'll wait till later. Always wanted to go to England and Germany, as my ancestors are genetically from there. Japan seems cool too, and no, I don't watch anime. I just like other cultures and environments. 

Oh and I love British music, Brian Eno, David Bowie, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Mike Oldfield, etc. 

So much so, that the only American artists I regularly listen are Bob Dylan, Tally Hall, Cojum Dip, and Miracle Musical. All of those are obscure compared to Dylan. I need to listen to more jazz though, Coltrane and Davis are really good. 

Do you like any American music? Or do I come off as the Japanese guy that loves cowboys and owns a ranch / only wears cowboy hats and spurs? He always made me a little flattered, but a little weirded out. Haha

18 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Basically, don't come to England,

- Sincerely signed, an Englishman.

Pretty much why I moved to the Czech Republic 10 years ago and never looked back.  The whole island is just complete tosh.

But I do miss fish and chips..

1 hour ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I live in some warzone village with a gang and drug problem in the east midlands somewhere, 95% sure we didn't move here but were instead air-dropped in as a social experiment to see how long it took for us to wipe ourselves out, hell I distinctly remember the park at the end of my road being set on fire for fun, some youths blew up a church later on, a semi famous footballer got murdered on a night out in our nearby town... Just y'know, town/village things from 1066.

Racism in my area is rampant but that is because everyone you meet is either a yob or a relic of a dying age, our schools failed to address problem students and were too busy making us take SATs that are proven useless, my C in our respective ICT program is literally useless and I'm the only dickhead who ever turned up to the Job Centre in a suit or who was actively looking for work and not because they had to be there instead of dossing on the dole.

I live in a bleak, lifeless, soulless little ghetto that houses """ex""" crooks (I think they call em halfway houses or something, they go there after prison) that aren't exactly "rehabilitated", no joke my work colleagues refuse to drop me off on my street, it's an infamous one in the community.

Man, that sounds really rough. I've not been anywhere like that in a long time (or the Job Centre, which was quite eye opening). Can relate to how painful school is when the nasty ones are out of control.

But I'm a believer in the moral neutrality of the average human so always want to put these sort of things down to deprivation of one sort or another in the general case. Sounds like you're not like the people around you at all though, what do you attribute that to, assuming you grew up in the same place?

I'm from Mexico and I'm in love with my country (Even if it's a bit messed up), although I'd love to visit some south american countries, like Perú, Venezuela, Argentina and Chile. I'm also interested in visiting Australia, maybe the U.S, Japan and other countries.

4 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

I'm from Mexico and I'm in love with my country (Even if it's a bit messed up), although I'd love to visit some south american countries, like Perú, Venezuela, Argentina and Chile. I'm also interested in visiting Australia, maybe the U.S, Japan and other countries.

What do you love about it? I really like the food, or at least the no doubt completely bastardised versions of it that I've had. Is it true that South American culture (if we can even speak so generally) is a bit macho or do you think that's an outsider's incorrect prejudice?

On 8/22/2021 at 5:18 PM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Not really visited another country but England is where I've spent all my time!

Honestly if you come here, bring a rain coat and some sunglasses. Oh and DEFINITELY try the local fish and chips, absolute banger of a meal. <3

And no, we don't all sound so upper-class and posh, we're not all Londoners... >_>

From what I've seen online and from old family photo's, places like Yorkshire might be a good area to visit as it has some pretty good sceneries and lovely forests.

The variety in UK accents is fascinating. I like all the different accents. It's neat.

Just now, holaareola said:

What do you love about it?

The food, climate, culture, architecture (at least where I live) , the languages (Spanish is a very funny language, and the native languages are interesting too) and the variety of accents, the nature (More specifically, the beaches), the local festivities and holidays.

4 minutes ago, holaareola said:

Is it true that South American culture is a bit macho or do you think that's an outsider's incorrect prejudice?

Well, it may depend on the country (To be honest, IDK)

33 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

The food, climate, culture, architecture (at least where I live) , the languages (Spanish is a very funny language, and the native languages are interesting too) and the variety of accents, the nature (More specifically, the beaches), the local festivities and holidays.

Well, it may depend on the country (To be honest, IDK)

Sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I've always wanted to check out Mexico. There seems to be a great culture there. 

I hear a lot of diss for the UK here, but I'd say immediate problems depend quite a bit on where one lives; I've lived in London just round the corner (thankfully not in) from an area full of druggies and crooks and hated having to look over my shoulder for muggers every 3 seconds. Now I live in a rural country market town called Beccles where crime is not rampant and the worst commonplace offence seems to be vandalising cars rather than blowing a bus queue of people away with a Mac 10 just in case the scumbag who dissed your woman is in there somewhere. I like it here.

The worst thing about the UK is the utter shit-show of politics here; we currently have the most corrupt and incompetent government literally for decades and I don't feel that the other lot would be that much better, given their leader being Tony Blair Service Pack 3. What we really need is an electoral system that fuses local representation and national government, instead of doing the former and ignoring the latter.

Where is Guy Fawkes when you need him :P

12 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

I hear a lot of diss for the UK here, but I'd say immediate problems depend quite a bit on where one lives; I've lived in London just round the corner (thankfully not in) from an area full of druggies and crooks and hated having to look over my shoulder for muggers every 3 seconds. Now I live in a rural country market town called Beccles where crime is not rampant and the worst commonplace offence seems to be vandalising cars rather than blowing a bus queue of people away with a Mac 10 just in case the scumbag who dissed your woman is in there somewhere. I like it here.

The worst thing about the UK is the utter shit-show of politics here; we currently have the most corrupt and incompetent government literally for decades and I don't feel that the other lot would be that much better, given their leader being Tony Blair Service Pack 3. What we really need is an electoral system that fuses local representation and national government, instead of doing the former and ignoring the latter.

Where is Guy Fawkes when you need him :P

Happy Guy Fawkes day to you as well.