Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtimZarr1

Update 6.66 Information (Fall release)

I didn't see a dedicated thread yet so I figured I'll post one with all the new details we learned from QuakeCon for those that may not know about it yet. Most of the information isn't entirely new (if you've been following Hugo's streams), but it does confirm what is coming in the next update, additional details on Horde Mode, and an expected release window.

---

Update 6.66 is the next major update for Doom Eternal and is expected to be released "this Fall".

Horde Mode

- Defeat waves of randomized demon spawns. Unlock more of the level as you survive. There is an ending.

- Score-based with a global leaderboard. Rankings include Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Slayer.

- You can gain additional points by quickly killing assigned high-value demons or by reserving BFG ammo.

Master Levels

- The World Spear

- Mars Core

Battlemode

- New map: Stronghold

- Win streak based matchmaking

---

Thoughts:

Considering there's no specific release date nor gameplay footage shown, I'm guessing this might be further away than expected (or maybe they're just choosing to remain secretive). Previous major updates release two to three months on average after the previous update - which would place this content drop somewhere in mid October most likely. Major updates have always either released on Tuesdays or Thursdays, so keep that in mind as well. Curious to see them wanting to package all these into a single update release. They could've stretched it out by spacing out separate updates for each category (Horde Mode update, Master Levels update, Battlemode update, etc.).

Most excited for Horde Mode. I'm glad there's randomized demon spawns since Proteh's enemy randomizer is one of my favourite mods, but I wonder how much that might impact the leaderboards. A bit disappointed there's an ending. An endless mode would fit the game really well. Maybe they're concerned about power creep or poor console performance if the combat spirals out of control at the late-game. There's the question on whether id will make new levels for the Horde Mode, but I'm going to go in with the expectation that they might just re-use the pre-existing levels.

Two new Master Levels sounds exciting, and I especially enjoy both maps chosen. Apparently Joshua on Hugo's streams claimed The World Spear Master Level will be available for users even if they don't own DLC 2, but there's the possibility he may have misspoke (that would effectively be giving out DLC content for free - and they don't even use DLC enemies in the base game Master Levels even though mods can do that). I'm guessing they're releasing the Mars Core Master Level at the same time so the players that don't own DLC 2 don't feel left out.

I'm a bit wary on both Battlemode changes. A new map is fine, especially since recent mods have allowed players to fight demons in them for custom Master Levels. But Corrosion (the previous added map) came and went without much fanfare. There was talks of a new playable demon - last Summer - and we still haven't heard much regarding that. Either development on that is moving much slower than anticipated or it's been quietly dropped (since it was never officially announced anyways). That's a shame because I feel a new playable demon (or any new extra features/modes) would inject Battlemode a bit more life than just releasing maps and balance updates. Not that new maps are bad - just that they don't really do much to draw someone back into the multiplayer. Also, it's nice that they're finally adding a matchmaking system, but one based on win-streaks is a very curious choice. Why not go for an ELO system like most multiplayer games do? Of course some matchmaking is better than none, but I think it's just a very strange decision to use the winstreak system as its basis. I'm not sure if that'll resolve the stomping that goes on, but I could be mistaken.

I know it's a pipe dream but I'm really hoping to one day have Slayer on Slayer deathmatch in Eternal. I can't even bring myself to complete the weekly battlemode challenges anymore, there's nothing for me to really sink my teeth into when it comes to battlemode, it just kinda exists. 

Mars Core master level, I'm keen!

For horde mode, I sort of need random maps or a really good range to enjoy it. Otherwise it's a glorified master level arena with random spawns. Also, the option to have short, medium or long horde modes so it fits my mood and can become a commonly played mode.

Edited by Chezza

Horde mode needs randomness to stay relevant.  If we are memorizing demon spawns and demon types, then it is only a matter of time before it becomes too easy.  I would love to see new AI or demon variants to keep things interesting.  Since Invasions was shelved for Horde mode, i expect more for horde mode then just a arena. I am also thankful that these horde matches have a ending.  Maybe invasions for horde mode?

Master Levels honestly would be better if they were not so freaking long.  Taras Nabad takes about 3-5 hours to complete for first time play.  I really wish they would of stuck with the style of ML we saw with Cultist Base.  Removing DLC demons from Vanilla master levels isn't the best move either.

Being secretive about the new Demon and maps for battlemode is not benefiting battlemode in the slightest.  It is already kinda on life support.  I can spend 10 minutes in a queue to find nobody to play against.  That isn't good.  But im going to give BM 2.0 the benefit of the doubt and pray it brings back a healthy population of demon players.

11 hours ago, Zemini said:

Master Levels honestly would be better if they were not so freaking long.  Taras Nabad takes about 3-5 hours to complete for first time play.  I really wish they would of stuck with the style of ML we saw with Cultist Base.

What they need is a save feature. I would be fine with their length and difficulty if I didn't have to do it all in one sitting.

Since it might take a while before the Horde mode arrives, we all know about fan attempts in modding.

It seems even BattleMode maps are used in it:

I also remembered this tweet:

Some new info to add:

Hugo is streaming Doom Eternal for the next few weeks. Notably, a Horde Mode sneak peek stream will be held on October 7th. This reinforces the speculation that Update 6.66 will launch sometime in mid-October most likely.

In the most recent stream (September 9), Hugo has revealed some new information:

Horde Mode

- Will feature DLC demons.

- Wave-based gameplay - Combat, Traversal, and Blitz (timer) wave types.

- Weapons/mods are unlocked randomly. Enemies and wave types are also random.

DLC 2

- Some arenas will be tweaked to increase difficulty and improve pacing

If horde mode is free and has DLC demons.  Why cant we have DLC demons in the vanilla master levels?

This is update 6.4, but they also show the Pirate Mancubus skin.

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/6b5zP4yVtOBv2BGOmXRhK3/doom-eternal-update-6-4-release-notes

Other Changes All Platforms

GENERAL

>Main Menu music is now the same as it was when DOOM Eternal launched in March 2020

Bug Fixes All Platforms

BATTLEMODE

>Fixed an issue introduced with Update 6.2 in which the playable Marauder’s axe flame effects were white instead of reddish-orange

Known Issues All Platforms

CAMPAIGN

>Issue: Automap ambient sound effects may persist in game or menus after closing the Dossier

>Resolution: This issue usually resolves on its own after a brief duration but may return upon entering and exiting the Automap in the Dossier again. This issue will be fixed in a future update

On 9/14/2021 at 1:37 PM, whatup876 said:

This is update 6.4, but they also show the Pirate Mancubus skin.

https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/6b5zP4yVtOBv2BGOmXRhK3/doom-eternal-update-6-4-release-notes

Other Changes All Platforms

GENERAL

>Main Menu music is now the same as it was when DOOM Eternal launched in March 2020

This is a good change and I'm glad they're doing it.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, Zemini said:

If horde mode is free and has DLC demons.  Why cant we have DLC demons in the vanilla master levels?

@Zemini, I'm sure we can have DLC demons in vanilla master levels. However, why do you think they'd set up Horde mode to have both vanilla game and DLC demons, but vanilla master levels do not have DLC demons; only vanilla demons? What do you think their reasoning might be?

Edited by Rytrik

I dont know their reasoning.  I think maybe early on they wanted to partition dlc demons from only base game purchasers.  In the end such a decision only hurts everyone.

14 hours ago, Zemini said:

I dont know their reasoning.  I think maybe early on they wanted to partition dlc demons from only base game purchasers.  In the end such a decision only hurts everyone.

How does it hurt everyone?

I don't know their reasoning either. Maybe they're not including DLC demons in vanilla for balance purposes? Maybe it's thematic/lore purposes? Maybe the OG levels aren't conducive to the DLC demons? it's anyone's guess. 

What about horde mode? Just a guess, but it's probably easier to make 1 horde mode for everyone, rather than separate horde modes for base vs DLC. 

That's my theory. Could be totally incorrect.

Edited by Rytrik

I wonder if they're planning to include the hammer and meathook platforming node things in horde mode. I really liked them and would like to use them with more content.

10 hours ago, Chezza said:

I wonder if they're planning to include the hammer and meathook platforming node things in horde mode. I really liked them and would like to use them with more content.

Hugo confirmed the hammer for the horde mode but it will be rebalanced and require 4 glory kills/weakpoints to fully charge.

What I don't understand is that everyone crapped on Doom 2016 multiplayer, but it really wasn't that bad, it just wasn't that good either. Eternal doesn't even have that. But seriously, the entire Doom reboot gameplay is based on Quake III Arena-style combat, yet they don't have online arena deathmatch? That little thing Doom freakin' invented? Battlemode was an interesting concept and I commend the creativity involved, but to me it feels a little too convoluted, a little too mobile-y, and very unbalanced. Not that fun to play. Not that I don't want it, by all means, keep it, just have a regular DM/TDM and maybe CTF as well. (and no freaking loadouts! Everything ought to be a pickup in the arena)

17 hours ago, Rytrik said:

How does it hurt everyone?

I don't know their reasoning either. Maybe they're not including DLC demons in vanilla for balance purposes? Maybe it's thematic/lore purposes? Maybe the OG levels aren't conducive to the DLC demons? it's anyone's guess. 

What about horde mode? Just a guess, but it's probably easier to make 1 horde mode for everyone, rather than separate horde modes for base vs DLC. 

That's my theory. Could be totally incorrect.

Not being able to kill new AI in vanilla levels because "reasons" does hurt everyone who wants to kill that AI.  It limits encounter combinations.  There is a reason that DLC arenas are far more fun than vanilla.  Less Demons to kill = less combinations and less fun imo.

Thematic reasons maybe, lore who cares?  If we can have a mancubus dress in a hot dog suit, then lore has room for anything.  Right now, Modders are able to put in DLC demons (and bosses) in pretty much any level in the game so it definitely isn't a technical limitation.  But adding ANYTHING to a level can break other things we do not see so the only issue is the massive log of bugs it creates.  That is fair

Does it break balance?  Maybe, but what kind of balance are people referring too?  Sometimes I feel as though that word gets thrown around by gamers and developers as a card to play to NOT add something.  If we are talking about difficulty well then master levels are suppose to be hard.  But having a summoner or Armored baron or two isn't gonig to break that.  Having Blood Angels spawn in Urdak (vanilla) will not break anything other than making the ML more immersive and fun.

So my biggest guess is unintended bugs it creates since the base campaign wasn't built to have that kind of scalability.

Hugo did confirm they will only be adding to Master Levels and not taking things away.  So that means no going back to older masterlevels to add things like Extra Life or Classic mode.  Pity, but i would rather see them finish all master levels before bringing the older ones up to the new standard. 

Edited by Zemini

On 9/17/2021 at 6:31 PM, QuaketallicA said:

What I don't understand is that everyone crapped on Doom 2016 multiplayer, but it really wasn't that bad

On 9/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, El juancho said:

I just want a real multiplayer deathmatch like doom 2016

The one red flag that came with it was the 2 weapon limit but i like how it still had its own guns, items, power ups, demons etc which is what i hope for Horde.

Even BattleMode gave unique attacks to playable demons.

And that one space MP map having low gravity zones is a level design gimmick i thought could fit a Mars Core like level.

Maybe they feared making Doom too much like Quake because they already borrowed somethings from it.

On 9/25/2021 at 6:36 AM, whatup876 said:

And that one space MP map having low gravity zones is a level design gimmick i thought could fit a Mars Core like level.

Maybe they feared making Doom too much like Quake because they already borrowed somethings from it.

Hugo mentioned in a stream that they experimented with low gravity in the Eternal campaign--in a level apparently set on the ship that's hovering over the ocean on the horizon of the Cultist Base. If I remember correctly, he said it slowed down the pace and was simply less fun than the game's usual combat, so it was cut.

31 minutes ago, jory64 said:

Hugo mentioned in a stream that they experimented with low gravity in the Eternal campaign--in a level apparently set on the ship that's hovering over the ocean on the horizon of the Cultist Base. If I remember correctly, he said it slowed down the pace and was simply less fun than the game's usual combat, so it was cut.

I remember that. Apparently a good portion of that level was made as well, but they scrapped it due to slow pacing.

Makes sense, I think about under water segments of most games and it feels like a drag. Doom Eternal doesn't need a dedicated purple goo level with some jumping.

10 hours ago, jory64 said:

Yeah, I can't imagine a level like Ziggurat Vertigo but with the length of a typical DOOM Eternal mission being very tolerable.

I always thought stuff like that could be specific sections because 2016 had a MP map that seperated gravity and non gravity areas.

Same for other gimmicks like if an ice level that slippery ice.

Like, you'd use some lore of "Hell is corrupting reality, which even affects gravity" and use some feedback like giant demonic rings or UAC tech rings or something.

Maybe even some "low gravity/water" blocks in mid air that the player can use to slow down falls when going down to some long path.