Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

what can help anxious, trembling hands during gaming sessions?

So I've been having a blast with Quake multiplay since the latest update, but kind of struggling with something that seems to be getting worse with age. I really noticed it playing stuff like Quake Champions and DOOM 2016/Eternals multiplay modes (and it even occurs during stressful or high intensity ares of singleplayer). Aside from my eyesight getting worse as the years go by, it seems my nerves and muscles are also going haywire these days... especially in my hands.

While i use to love playing competitively and for thrill over the past few decades of FPS, this tremor or anxiety-induce shaking in my hands under stress or excitement is really ruining one of my favorite past times. I'll do fine for a few moments early on, but as it progresses or things start getting heated up in-game, my hands and other muscles start "spasming" or twitching/shaking, messing up my control and aim. I'm still able to do "OK" in most matches and infrequently come out on top, but just kinda bummed that maybe it just only gets worse. If I were to describe it, it would be the same effect as someone who is way, way over-caffeinated or hopped up on energy drinks to a dangerous amount. I don't drink coffee or energy drinks, I do on occasion every few days drink some coke (no more than a can at a time, and very infrequently).

I've always chalked it up as part of a life-long anxiety & panic disorder that I've suffered from, though with anti-anxiety meds i take these days, I'm not so sure. While the anxiety/panic and racing heart beats have been under control with the meds as of recent, this trembling of my hands still occurs in gaming or stressful situations. Now I'm wondering if it's not just me or this is something everyone else is facing and has learned to control or manage it successfully. I drink a lot of water and eat pretty healthy (though i do use those nicotine pouches like Zyn and Velo, but not like excessive amounts), my blood pressure and pulse and stuff are always great. So why is this occurring primarily in intense gaming marathons?

Are there options I can set in game that can help "null" or counteract these tremors, like smoothing or speed adjustments or something? Is there something everyone is doing who may encounter the same that I'm not? I've tried deep breathing and stretching arms and hands and stuff before matches. I'm 40 years old, but I still think I'm way too young to have to shelve one of my favorite past times over something so ridiculous.

Any suggestions or anyone else experienced this before (or currently having issues with the same?). Any advice... I'm all ears.

since you said this is kinda of a new development i think you need to see a doctor

if its some type of problem with your brain this can really fuck you later in life so i think its best if you see one as fast as possible

Try using a controller. I have problems with my hands and cannot comfortably use a kb&m to play games. Or try a weighted ergonomic mouse.

Is the "stress/anxiety" the normal adrenaline rush kind of thing that happens sometimes during games or suspenseful movies, or is it worse than that?

Sorry to hear that you're having these problems though. I can relate to the deteriorating eyesight part.

I have two main DPI settings for my mouse. Changing it usually helps me when I have aiming issues. 

1800 DPI - This is usually were I keep it set. It's a good fit for me.

1200 DPI - I use this setting when I have aiming problems, or I'm just a little to excited. Sometimes helpful for new games I haven't adjusted mouse settings.

3 hours ago, Buckshot said:

Any suggestions or anyone else experienced this before (or currently having issues with the same?). Any advice... I'm all ears.

Do you do any sort of hand exercises regularly? It might be worth talking to a physical therapist, maybe they would know something about the relationship between nerves, anxiety, and muscle control.

3 hours ago, Buckshot said:

I'll do fine for a few moments early on, but as it progresses or things start getting heated up in-game, my hands and other muscles start "spasming" or twitching/shaking, messing up my control and aim.

Do you experience the hand shaking anywhere else in your life? If it was a psychological issue, your hands would shake every time you were in a high stress situation, like about to get into a fight. If it was a physical issue, your hands would shake if you were doing something comparable to gaming, such as a computer desk job for prolonged periods of time.

Very often when I have something that hurts, I first look at the symptoms on the Internet like medicalbrandnames and only then go to the doctor. I like to do this and it makes me more relaxed. Maybe you should do a search too and see what it could be related to. I'm sure you can handle it.

Edited by Leroy