Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sh-h-h

Redemption of the Slain Re-release (2020.08.) - from an author of NRFTL

Haven't seen a thread about this (sorry if there is one), but I've surprisingly found, that the gargantuan-sized level of No Rest for the Living's creator Russell Meakim had been re-released last year for base GZDoom, with no Brutal Doom involvement needed. As I played the map, the flow was much better this time, the broken cacodemon swarm early on the game (which originally was meant to be played with bot help of BD feature) had been nerfed, a few extra areas had been added, like a dark labyrinthine techbase segment, and the final cyber battle is now much more difficult. In addition, finally Russell created a proper rar file with all stuff involved, the Doom metal tracks in the original didn't work if you didn't get the proper updates. The bad news is GZDoom is still needed, and all of the UDMF format features are still there, but I enjoyed this version much more than the original. Hopefully Bethesda takes notes and somehow it adds the map into the official catalog soon.

The link can be found here: https://odysee.com/@TheCastle:8/ROTS_Full_Install:6?r=92HAn5NvTouBRKMbFnBnDMKY2uYvdUJC&sunset=lbrytv

The author's personal words:

This is the full install package to play the latest version of Redemption Of The Slain. Redemption Of The Slain is a full Doom 2 episode built specifically to take full advantage of the GZDoom source port. The entire episode takes place inside of one map very large map that is designed to make it feel like one continuous experience.

The episode has a lot of content!

====================================================
Installation :
All you need to do is...

Extract the contents of the RAR file into a folder.

Copy The Doom2.wad into the same folder. (This means you need to have a copy of Doom2 to play this episode)

Run the "PlayRots.bat" file and everything should be good to go in all of its glory!

Notes :
Jumping and crouching are part of this Episode since they are core features of GZDoom.
I utilized all aspects of GZDoom that are available for this Episode. (Lighting, Scripting, floors over floors...)

A new World :
This is the first time a Doom2 Episode has ever been released on the LBRY platform!
In a way this is a test but from what I know this should be a fairly viable way to release content like this. Depending on the reaction I get for doing this will determine if I continue to release more Doom2 content on here. If things go really well I might even consider building new games that are exclusive to this platform.

Disclaimer: I called this map (or episode by the author's words) as NRFTL 2, but that's not exactly true. It's not official, and Arya Iwakura wasn't involved. I still consider it as a spiritual successor with the same level design philosophies, hence the title.

ROTS.jpg

Oh, and forgot to say this is rather old news, the re-release happened a year ago. Probably many haven't noticed though, as Russell only revealed it on his obscure site.

I'm confused. If this is "Redemption of the Slain" why have you included in the thread title "NRFTL2". Even if you feel it's a spiritual successor to NRFTL2, I'm not a fan if this practice to be honest. If it's not your map, don't advertise it as something different than the original author did in the first place. It kind of comes across as clickbait, because anyone not familiar with Redemption of the Slain is going to assume this is actually NRFTL2 since it says so in the title of the thread and inevitably feel deceived.

That's why it has the disclaimer. But sorry if you think that's wrong. I thought it deserved an extra clickbait due to its famed author.

Clickbait is one thing, but calling this release NRFTL 2 is pretty much just downright lying. I'd recommend tweaking the title somewhat before you get more comments like these.

Regardless, I wouldn't have known about this otherwise. Very odd to release a doom mod in such a random place, especially when its from one of the developers of a well-liked official expansion.

16 hours ago, sh-h-h said:

That's why it has the disclaimer. But sorry if you think that's wrong. I thought it deserved an extra clickbait due to its famed author.

The disclaimer is not in the thread title. If I make a WAD and open a thread titled "Revenge of Evil Hellions from Detroit (Eviternity 2)", people would be pretty disappointed when they open the thread just to find out it has nothing to do with Eviternity other than the fact that I think my WAD is similar. It also wouldn't be fair to the author of Eviternity, don't you think?

I'm sure you didn't do it with bad intentions, but there is no reason to have that in your title. You could have just wrote (similar to NRFTL) instead.

On 8/25/2021 at 4:50 AM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

The disclaimer is not in the thread title. If I make a WAD and open a thread titled "Revenge of Evil Hellions from Detroit (Eviternity 2)", people would be pretty disappointed when they open the thread just to find out it has nothing to do with Eviternity other than the fact that I think my WAD is similar. It also wouldn't be fair to the author of Eviternity, don't you think?

I'm sure you didn't do it with bad intentions, but there is no reason to have that in your title. You could have just wrote (similar to NRFTL) instead.

This is not a map similar to NRFTL, but made by NRFTL's author, which is a huge difference. Just like E1M4b/E1M8b, which were made by E1's author, who self confidently called them replacement levels, despite them being very different in style (and id didn't approve the claim anyway). I don't have a problem with it, and loved both levels, but using your strict policy, it should be equally disappointing because of "false advertisement" by Romero. Also, there was a release called Plutonia 2 by the Doom community. Honestly, I liked it a bit more than the original, for several reasons, but again, by your strict policy, they have no right to call their mapset Plutonia 2, as neither the legal owner nor the map creators were involved. And it's not different when the author calls them this way, or a random user who want an obscure map to get some exposure with good intention. The final result is the same, in fact, the former is more problematic legally. Also I don't think Russell is hurt by the claim. He made a subtle connection between the two in the ending message.

Btw. I'm not a big fan of your wording here. It's not a compulsory thing to like Redemption or NRFTL or GZDoom maps or Russell's work in general. But if you played the thing (and you should at least try), at least one thing is obvious: it's a hell of a work, with an incredible amount of thoughts and details put into there, including the music's involvement in the combat dynamics and other stuff. This 2020 remake even made subtle changes like the ending which made the final battle very unique and intimidating. It's a bit of a disrespectful comment to compare this to a fake parody wad title. Or maybe I've read to much into your comment, then sorry.

It seems, based on this thread, and the one Russell created in 2017, this isn't well liked by people. I suspect the reason is GZDoom, it's not a very popular port these days.

Edited by sh-h-h

Be that as it may, you're still misleading people by calling this NRFTL2 and - unless Russell Meakim himself shows up to declare it an official sequel - it's probably a better idea to have it named something less blatant. Hopefully my revision gets the necessary information across.

Played this one - it's kind of fun but calling it an episode is somewhat deceptive - I think the design only equals to 3-4 small maps at best. I also feel some battles (particularly the one at the end where you have to pass through a series of enemy teleporters) are overly long as well.

I just downloaded the new wad to test Redemption of the Slain without Brutal Doom since with the Brutal Doom version I could not take advantage of the original weapons and weapon mods and in this way, now with this version without Brutal Doom I can use the Mods that I already used for the original weapons and other mods that I could not with Brutal Doom, this latest version of Redemption of the Slain has been a great job but I have detected a small problem.

When you add other wads levels like Master Levels, NRFTL or the new Doom Antholohy expansions like Realms of the Dead and others including Redemption of the Slain, when Doom 2 is running the original first world Hell on Earth cannot be played because the creation of This Redemption of the Slain without Brutal Doom has been made from DOOM2.WAD but uses it with the same name from the first world, when you try it without other wads, Redemption would become the first world, but when you add other wads and the rest of levels and expansions for a complete Doom 2, Redemption of the Slain is actually Hell on Earth using the Redemption of the Slain levels and you cannot play the original first Hell on Earth world or separate Redemption of the Slain from it because used under the Hell on Earth, something should be done to rename this Wad so that it uses it under the real name of Redemption of the Slain so that it does not use it in the Wad of Doom 2 Hell on Earth and po der play this and also the original first world of Hell on Earth, but in this way you cannot play with the other expansions and the first world, fix this and separate the name to Redemption of the Slain as it was called last year and separated from Hell On Earth.

Fix this please and separate this Wad with another world name other than Hell On Earth, renamed Redemption of the Slain so that it will not be used in Hell on Earth, please.