Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord of all demons

Monster from doom that terrified us

I was also afraid to face down the cyberdemon in E2M8, and I didn't beat a cybie without cheats until well into my teens. It was the THUMP THUMP of his hooves that got me. Over the years I've had more than a few dreams of being chased down by a cyberdemon. When I finally exorcised that fear by way of several dozen rockets (i did not know about the splash damage immunity back then), I never let up from there -- I will fuck up a cyberdemon if I see one.

I'm not scared of any of the Doom cast now, though there's been some monster placement that could, in that moment of panic, maybe make me shit myself.

It's hard to not point at most of the Monsters, especially when playing Doom 2. The Barons, Hell Knights, Revenants, Cyber Demon, Spider Mastermind. All scared me when I first played the games over 2 years ago now but now the only way they scare me is if I am caught totally off guard while playing. Or there are so many I wake up at once the scream blows my ears out.

6 hours ago, OniriA said:

d57llq6-d4e0a063-c058-4db3-83d4-310951c4

A cacodemon and a pain elemental on legs riding on a revenant who is riding between a chaingunner and an imp who's bodys are generated by a psychic connection between a zombieman and a shotgunner both being supported by the top armpits of an archvile with a manbus for a head who is riding on a cybermastermind with a lost soul for a head, two noble demon arms for an arm, and with a pinky hiding underneath it. Ah yes, i was scared by that too, but as a map creator, i've grown to appreciate it.

6 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

I still scream like a small child if a cyberdemon pops out at me in a tight space. Doubly so if it's dark

I feel like if you make some doom map playtrough videoes with commentary in the near future, then you have just tempted some mappers :-D

I am not scared of any of the doom monsters as such

to be honest, no monster on DooM 1, 2 or 64 are scary per se, unless you exploit your creativity and use them well on a more tense way, but vanilla-wise, none, even when I played as a kid.

DooM 3 is a different thing though, the monsters there were much worse thanks to their physical and sound design as well as the ambience they were found in, specially enemies like the spider things, the pinkies and, obviously, the weird babies, because babies are always scary.

though even them did not always scare me, I guess.

Archviles, due to the fact that can hit you from anywhere as long as they can see you, plus resurrect the dead(and if they were crushed before resurrection, they are more of a pain to get rid of), and in MBF, turn your dead pets evil. :(

The spider master mind still kinda creeps me out till this day, especially since I'm an arachnophobe.

But the spidey is only half of a spider! Just four legs instead of eight, and no abdomen.

4 hours ago, CBM said:

I feel like if you make some doom map playtrough videoes with commentary in the near future, then you have just tempted some mappers :-D

I am not scared of any of the doom monsters as such

Mate, it's happened live on stream :D

Spectres.  My first Doom experience was as a kid of around... 10 or 11?  And a local computer shop had Doom II set up on one of their demo machines, and while my dad was in looking at supplies or peripherals my brothers and I would take turns mucking about on said demo machine.  One day we got to MAP03: The Gantlet, and there's the bit where you cross the large room and go down into a darkened room with spectres in it, and I swear we didn't know what was down there or what was going on.  Was it a force field?  A ghost?  Some kind of bug?  That was a genuinely baffling, disarming, and scary encounter.

More recently, revenants.  Between their wake-up scream, their fast movement, their angular bodies that are all knees and protruding elbows and bones silhouetted against a brightly-lit backdrop in an otherwise darkened room... yeah, they're lovely little shock engines aren't they?

Hell Knights, knowing they were tougher always sent me running to safety, I've always loved the alert sound out of all the demons. Eternal always had good placements (dead ends with a horde behind you) now I like to play the Super Shotgun tango with them. 

13 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

I'm bugged by the fact they had 4 buttons but only 2 of them were unique buttons? That meant I could only bind two actions on the gamepad, which was shoot and open. Back then I'd consider strafing an advanced strategy. 

Just a bit of retro-correction here.... Game Ports were notoriously limited for, among other things, only allowing two buttons per controller, for a total of four on one port, and many weren't even fully implemented (some only offered two axes and two buttons, instead of four & four, intended to host two joysticks on one port). I think you couldn't even have two fully implemented gameports on one system: it would either be a single fully-implemented one, or two crippled ones (to connect two joysticks to the former, you had to use a splitter cable).

If you stuck a 4-button joystick/gamepad in a partially-implemented gameport, only two of the buttons would even register. I don't know if the Gravis had a remapping function that remapped buttons 3 & 4 to 1 & 2. In any case, playing Doom with a DOS-era gamepad sucked. No USB, no mixed analog stick/D-pad controls, limited to 4 buttons, etc.

Though nothing in the Doom 2 roster actually terrify me at present, kid Zulk was super scared the first time he encountered the Mancubus and the PE.

Currently I still have "Oh fuck" moments when a bunch of Revenants or Archies show up because of the former's homing rockets and the second's zap and resurrection potential. 

In Doom, none really. Cybie introduction Tower of Babel was scary, but it's more of a moment than the monster himself. I truly dreaded Parasites in Quake 2 (Hi, body horror!). Being chased by Shamblers in some Q1E4 maps was pretty terrifying too. Never played Dead Space, I'm a nervous wreck enough as it is :) even Doom 3 is too much for me these days.

Oh, and I also VERY carefully avoid Barnacles.

Back when I was a kid, my first encounter with the lost soul just about traumatized me. Seeing those scary flaming hate-filled skulls for the first time in that pitch black tunnel in Doom 2 Map 05, and then when they attacked, I had to look away and cancel the game.  I literally couldn't sleep because I thought they were going to appear outside my bedroom window at night. My parents told me "you are not playing that game ever again"! I didn't touch Doom 2 for a long time after that, because I was afraid of seeing the bastards again. 

Ofcourse, these days, they are merely the annoying mosquitoes of hell. But, the lost soul is still an undeniably creepy looking creature. 

Archviles. Really freaked me out the first time I saw one and for the first couple of months I would turn the sound off to fight them. Their growling really got to me and messed with my head.

Playing Doom as a kid way back in the day it was Barons of Hell and the Cyberdemon that scared the hell out of me. Both powerhouses outclassed the other. I often would chant "I didn't see that. Not dealing with it. Nope. NOPE" while running away. Then a little bit later the Archvile arrived onto the scene and brought a new form of terror that still unnerves me to this day. Not only that, but the creature design for the vile is definitely reminiscent of the creature feature Pumpkinhead which also scared the bejesus out of me.

Another monster that scared me was the Nightmare Spectre from PSX Doom. That inky, translucent, amped up Spectre took a few good chomps out of me.

In Doom 64 it was the Cybrdemon that horrified me, it was even more intimidating then the original version. To me, it seemed much larger and more oppressive somehow. That and the Pain Elemental. That damned thing looks like it came right off the pages of an H.P. Lovecraft story. I wish that design would make a return in future games.

In Doom 3, I think everything terrified me. The whole game is like one giant Halloween scare house at an amusement park where something is always jumping out of the shadows (but in this case will kill you in the most horrific ways).

In Doom 2016 and Eternal, nothing terrifies me. Cool creatures of course, but by this point, as by design, you are the SLAYER. Everything that is demon is going to ripped apart like taffy. So it's THEM that's terrified.

And while the 2005 Doom movie is a bucket of hogwash, the creature designs are ace IMO. Absolutely grotesque in every way conceivable. It's like their bodies become twisted, bloated, or their skeletons want to push out of the muscle tissue. Hard to describe but amazing at the same time.

Edited by PSXDoomer

The Archville left a lasting impression on me since I was young. I remember the first time running into one and I didn't know what was going on. Suddenly I'm on fire and there's this gaunt, alien-looking thing standing there with its arms outstretched. And it takes a lot of damage and it's like the thing won't die, but then when it does die it goes out laughing. Pure evil, those things are. I remember it took me a while to get the courage just to face them, haha!

No individual foe scared me as a kid, but: I very clearly remember playing E2M2, being a little lost, and hearing imp snorts and zombiemen noises all around, not exactly knowing where they are other than somewhere nearby. That was scary, and I wish I could still experience that ”safe horror” again!

I fear no man... But that thing...

*insert picture of Mother Demon here*

...it scares me.

Spoiler

Not even the Archvile comes close. The Mother Demon made me go insane the first time I fought her. She is so damn hard without the Unmaker upgrades.