Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Kingslayer

How We Saw '95 Revival Thread [CLOSED]

3 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I strongly agree with this. I joined because it was an opportunity to operate with the original game's limits and style.
Come on guys, this isn't 2009, we don't need another KDIZD.

I really want to agree, but I know a lot of people have already made limit-removing levels and I don't want their hard work to go to waste. Should we take a vote or something?

my map still runs fine in vanilla so i guess i can still keep it vanilla compatible

Screenshot-Doom-20210827-222109.pngScreenshot-Doom-20210827-221224.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210827-220146.pngScreenshot-Doom-20210830-205054.png

Edited by snapshot

I am also fine with being vanilla compatible, limit removing or not I'll probably stick to vanilla limits. The one question being would this also include ignoring save game overflow, since it seems a lot of "vanilla compatible" WADs end up ignoring that specific rule. I'd be fine either way but important to know.

1 hour ago, The Kingslayer said:

I really want to agree, but I know a lot of people have already made limit-removing levels and I don't want their hard work to go to waste. Should we take a vote or something?

We could take at their maps and see if one could change them to be vanilla without too much getting lost.
Especially with this deadline, we would have more than enough time for a process like that. But voting might also be a good idea.

1 hour ago, DFF said:

I am also fine with being vanilla compatible, limit removing or not I'll probably stick to vanilla limits. The one question being would this also include ignoring save game overflow, since it seems a lot of "vanilla compatible" WADs end up ignoring that specific rule. I'd be fine either way but important to know.

Save game buffer overflow is generally really hard to detect, so I don't think that'll be a requirement.

I'm on the same boat, vanilla-compatibility strongly suits the idea of this project in my opinion, and I think a lot of people might expect it to be, given that it has '95 in the name. In any case, I'm making mine to be playable in chocolate doom.

If you want Vanilla-Compatibility to be enforced I'm good (I'm still checking my maps for visplane overflows regardless), but if not, I'm still good with it, as long you all stick with the 95 theme and don't turn the levels into an overdetailed mess (and if possible, use the visplane explorer sometimes).

4 hours ago, DFF said:

The one question being would this also include ignoring save game overflow, since it seems a lot of "vanilla compatible" WADs end up ignoring that specific rule.

At least Chocolate Doom lets you disable the save game limit, but anyone who actually plays this on the original DOS vanilla version will be greatly inconvenienced for levels that overflow the save, unless they somehow have what it takes to play the whole level without saving.

I don't think there is anybody actually running the original DOS.exe(if there are, then it must be like one person in the entire website). Chocolate Doom compatibility is good enough. Again I must remark that my worries about limit-removing are aesthetic, not technical.

wasn't the idea of the project to remake a level of your choice but in your own way or however you feel like, from pre-existing theme, title...etc, hence the how you saw part, i can keep it vanilla compatible and keep the visuals simple, but i can't promise authentic 90s visuals, i'm a little too picky about those border sectors and 90degree corners

Edited by snapshot

i guess i'm on vanilla compatible? idk i had more enjoyment doing it 100 percent vanilla compatible (and one of the reason i joined this CP, outside of deadline lol) and limit removing part just kinda meh for me

7 minutes ago, sluggard said:

wasn't the idea of the project to remake a level of your choice but in your own way or however you feel like, from pre-existing theme, title...etc, hence the "how you saw" part, i can keep it vanilla compatible and keep the visuals simplistic that's no problem, but i can't promise authentic 90s visuals, a liittle too picky about those border sectors and 90degree corners

I use border secs and that kinda stuff too. I don't think you need to have it looking exactly like Classic Doom, the vanilla thingy is more so a general guideline, as far as I know.

I appreciate you guys sharing your opinion, but could you also check the edit I’ve made to the thread? It’ll make counting votes a lot easier on my part.

4 hours ago, sluggard said:

i can keep it vanilla compatible and keep the visuals simplistic that's no problem, but i can't promise authentic 90s visuals, a little too picky about those border sectors and 90degree corners

I don't think anyone expects actual 90's style. Even within the vanilla limits, you can still include a fair amount of detail and modern sensibility, especially with a little strategy in terms of keeping your visplane and seg counts low (like, avoiding tiny openings that allow you to see through a huge portion of the level but aren't actually useful or interesting to look at)

As far as doom.exe, there are a handful of people who use it. However, it's generally accepted that mods almost always exceed the savegame limit, and that authors shouldn't worry about it beyond saying "watch out for savegame overflow" in the text file. DOS users can use Doom+ if they are worried about it, or just avoid saving :)

I am leaning towards keeping the vanilla limits but ultimately I don't really have a strong opinion about it.

Here's the latest link to my map from the previous thread.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zju7psw3ejj3tgj/CT_Phobos_Lab_v2.zip/file

Might be cool to allow remixes of the original map midis to keep things fresh.

The map I've made requires at least a limit raising port. While I could probably trim the visplanes down to vanilla, the drawsegs are different story.

here's my (completed and finished) E2M8:

NEWE2M8wesaw95.zip

Changelog (in case you don't notice any difference for whatever reason):

- I added a gate to the edge of the tower, so now player know they can't fall of the tower. In other words: this map is 100% vanilla compatibe map, not a GZDoom UDMF one

I (finally) fixed the misaligned METAL texture that bothers A LOT when making this map. 

4 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

here's my (completed and finished) E2M8:

NEWE2M8wesaw95.zip

Changelog (in case you don't notice any difference for whatever reason):

- I added a gate to the edge of the tower, so now player know they can't fall of the tower. In other words: this map is 100% vanilla compatibe map, not a GZDoom UDMF one

I (finally) fixed the misaligned METAL texture that bothers A LOT when making this map. 

Alright, it's done! I'll update the listing for ya.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:43 PM, The Kingslayer said:

Alright, the votes are in. Vanilla compatible maps are now required.

In that case, count me out of the project, I'll just release my map elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, LoneAlpha2401 said:

In that case, count me out of the project, I'll just release my map elsewhere.

Are you sure it isn't limit-able? How many segs is it really? Any chance I could take a look and see if I can work my vanilla magic?

Well, it is possible, but several visual features would have to be removed or heavily simplified. Mainly the sector-based logo, the tile outlines, and the grates in the skylights. There are a few places where some strategic merges and vision-blocks could be used, but those three main offenders just eat up those limits so fast. No amount of wand-waving will save the diagonal grate across a stairway, at best you could potentially use midtextures instead. It's a really cool map and it sucks to have to bump it out. But, I can see how taking a wrecking ball to all those details would feel like destroying your vision for the map. For what it's worth, the necessary changes wouldn't really affect the layout. However those "sinking" tiles would pretty much have to be tossed out :(

That's what I was afraid of. I'd rather release it elsewhere than neuter the visuals.

Alrighty here's my Submission and a screenshot: E1M3
Wish I could share more screenshots without using Gyazo but I've used up my file upload limit on oversized screenshots years ago.

7 hours ago, DFF said:

Wish I could share more screenshots without using Gyazo but I've used up my file upload limit on oversized screenshots years ago.

Played it. It's a fun map with some cool attention to detail. Was too dumb to find the yellow key, but I still had a good time.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:10 PM, DFF said:

Finally got around to playing it, I think it's almost ready to be released!

screenshot_doom_1.png.800dafeb8c87441a40e1575137f56159.pngYou're getting tutti-fruttis on this computer texture. Switching it to COMP2 should fix the issue.

I couldn't find the yellow key either but I still had a ton of fun with this one. If you want, I could fix the texture bug for you and put it in the WAD.

1 hour ago, The Kingslayer said:

Finally got around to playing it, I think it's almost ready to be released!

screenshot_doom_1.png.800dafeb8c87441a40e1575137f56159.pngYou're getting tutti-fruttis on this computer texture. Switching it to COMP2 should fix the issue.

I couldn't find the yellow key either but I still had a ton of fun with this one. If you want, I could fix the texture bug for you and put it in the WAD.

Yeah if you want to change that it would be great.

A hint: the yellow key is in the blue key computer room. The secrets operate like they do in the original e1m3 yellow key room. A lift trigger will allow you to access some secrets. Specifically where you grab the blue key to test.