Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fryuko

Baptized in Nukage - Two boom-compatible levels with OTEX [Beta]

Baptized in Nukage is a short wad with only two levels for boom. It uses OTEX. I originally intended it as a short episode of 5-6 levels, but I lost my inspiration. Although there is a chance that I  finish it one day. The gameplay is challenging with some minor resource deprivation, so make every shot count. 

Unfortunately, the finished levels barely have any nukage 😭 (There is also a 3rd unfinished map left in there)

I designed both of the levels for UV and with pistol start, but those are completely optional. And for a first playthrough, I recommend playing on HMP if you are not confident enough.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

7AADgur.png

rdj19Xm.png

aS8wR4X.png

7QgIPCL.png

KUboqoU.png

Download link:

Download - bip.rar (this one includes the info file)

Download - bip.wad (the wad itself in case unpacking doesn't work)

I tested it with both prboom+ and GZDOOM.

Credits:
-Ukiro for OTEX

Music used:
MAP01 - Arxangels MAP03
MAP02 - Plutonia 2 MAP26

Edited by Fryuko : New link

1 hour ago, NaturalTvventy said:

WinRAR doesn't let me open the file.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

It never happened before and I'm not sure what caused it. But I repackaged the file and uploaded it again with a new link.

I also added a new download to the wad itself, in case the packaging still doesn't work.

Holy, I was scared about having to put my foots on tons of damaging floors, something that I really hate in Doom. But in fact, I found 3 pretty maps (the last Isn't achieved but though she begins well).

I must be honest, I did so much mistakes and died so much times in the second map haha XD

You said you did not found inspiration to continue, please keep maping at least, you make good stuff

Btw : Nice endscreen haha

40 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Woooow haha, I didn't even noticed the HL2 reference

@Biodegradable Thank you for the video playthrough, I really enjoyed it!

I saw that you couldn't find the SSG, that's a sign for me to place it somewhere more noticeable.

The "make every shot count" part is actually not that true anymore so I should most likely change that too. The truth is, I added more ammo in general before release to make it more manageable and less frustrating overall. 

@Briøche Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I'll continue and that ending screen may return somewhere.

1 hour ago, Briøche said:

Woooow haha, I didn't even noticed the HL2 reference

I couldn't remember if it was from HL2 or somewhere else so thank you for reminding me 😁

25 minutes ago, Fryuko said:

I couldn't remember if it was from HL2 or somewhere else so thank you for reminding me 😁

You welcome :) "Don't drink the water, they put something in it... I don't even remember how I got here."

This is an NPC saying that at the train station in the beginning, plus I must add there is a story behind this, HL has a deep lore :p

I saw that you couldn't find the SSG, that's a sign for me to place it somewhere more noticeable.

Yeah, in fact myself found it by coincidence

Hello Fryuko, this is my playtrough of your wad, the maps are very fun, challenging and beautiful to see (you used Otex really well), the layout is very unique and the combat is very frenetic and difficult (specially on Map 02 and map01 final fight, little coverage and limited arsenal. I think a Baron Of Hell would be better for that fight, the archie is too aggressive). Have a nice day!

Edited by Feden05

I tried it in ReBoom.

The first map was cool, but I really did not like the archvile fight at the end. There weren't really any pillars to hide behind, and having somewhere to hide is a very important thing to have when designing archvile fights.

I know this is a resource deprivation map, but I felt like I didn't at all have a good enough weapon against the archvile. Its overpowered attack means that unlike the mancubus and cacodemons, I can't really spend a lot of time chaingunning the Archie, and the regular shotgun does too little damage at such a slow firing rate that it's not really that effective either.

It got to the point where I decided not to participate in the archvile fight anymore and instead just tried to exit as fast as possible.

MAP02 crashed in ReBoom. Perhaps there's too many sidedefs?

So I had to replay MAP01 all over again in PrBoom+. Ugh.

The 2nd map was okay. I actually got 3 of the 4 secrets.