Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spindel

NEW MAP: Matchmaker

UPDATE:
-Fixed and changed several elements of the map (action tags, floors, doors, etc.) for compatibility sake (thanks @Nikku4211) and managed to change the music for accurate sourceports (Crispy, PrBOOM, etc.) Everything works now, I hope.

-Floor in the baron room has been lowered, thanks for that @Degree23.

LINKS:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vw280f3snhd4fq7/matchmaker.wad?dl=0
https://files.catbox.moe/osvvpp.wad

~~~

This is a small gimmick map with with a focus on exploration and combat puzzles. I made this with boom format and DOOM II iwad. Jumping and crouching disabled, and I recommend turning off mouse look, because some of the lighting tricks I used in the map make the ceiling look goofy. Any tips on how to polish that? 

Don't read the following if you don't want to be spoiled on whats in the map:

Spoiler

The cyber demon in the middle is the only thing stopping you from getting to the exit. You have to "make the perfect match" by having him aggro monsters in sections of the map, damaging him and killing off monsters you won't have enough ammo for. Make sure not to aggro them yourself, as you'll be tempted to make noise in these areas :)

I'm interested in making gimmick maps from now on, and eventually compiling them into some sort of megawad somehow. Any pointers on pulling that off?
Thanks, and enjoy the map fellas :)

LINKS (OLD):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vw280f3snhd4fq7/matchmaker.wad?dl=0
https://files.catbox.moe/v656hv.wad

Screenshots:

Screenshot_Doom_20210827_185433.png.ac0b703e6cdb43ccac274d56ef2ff241.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210827_191524.png.cd26e6f11447a340fb5e1c7538bec96e.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210827_194302.png.8c29863dc7730fb9626873534a46427d.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210827_194324.png.199e501a74adf929ebc62e0f99e0ff3b.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210827_194349.png.054370263d299e7577ca32f5bda2e77a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210827_195037.png.43f53b8e8f25f8adc13c4f4db6b5082f.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210827_195130.png.4ac41f4f950fc57dd2a7409fb9900914.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210827_195333.png.ef317d77ebb22d71bc7d8aa0a9ab610f.png

Edited by spindel

Hey, buddy, I think the map is good and probably does not need any changes. The only problem is that on a blind run it is very difficult to learn what to do, but I think that's the thing about puzzle maps.

- "Any pointers on pulling that off?" That what? Megawad?

-> This video teaches you that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2z36HA96OA

Just played this map in both Pooch and PrBoom+ -complevel 9 and the doors at the beginning don't work.

This is because they use an SR action special instead of a DR action special. SR action specials only work when the door you want to open is a sector that is tagged with a number that the SR action special is also tagged with. DR action specials, however, do not require sectors to be tagged.

This is one of many symptoms that a map has been tested in a ZDoom-based port. Please do not test your non-ZDoom maps in ZDoom-based ports.

5 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Just played this map in both Pooch and PrBoom+ -complevel 9 and the doors at the beginning don't work.

This is because they use an SR action special instead of a DR action special. SR action specials only work when the door you want to open is a sector that is tagged with a number that the SR action special is also tagged with. DR action specials, however, do not require sectors to be tagged.

Is that whats screwing with the doors? I tested it in crispy, and thought that I had to compile the map for compatibility or something. I'll get that fixed.

7 hours ago, spindel said:

Is that whats screwing with the doors?

Yes, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were many other problems (called ZDoomisms) as well.

But yeah, please fix those doors, and then perhaps test further to see and fix whatever else is broken in PrBoom+, Pooch, and DOS Boom.

9 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Yes, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were many other problems (called ZDoomisms) as well.

Well...

I managed to fix the doors, but now I'm having trouble with the switches in PRBoom and Crispy. They're not working:

Top right is the switch, and bottom left is the floor that its supposed to lower to nearest floor (Action 221). I made sure that the linedef is facing the player (its a wall, so it wouldn't be otherwise), and they are both tagged 10. When running the mouse over the line, the section affected is highlighted, so I don't know what the issue is. I also tried changing the action to "Lift lower wait then raise", which makes it work, but its not what I want...

switch_no_work.jpg.1359b9b05afcafb48403f107cce4b5b2.jpg

Closeup of the switch:

switch_no_work1.jpg.76e9fb17a5f1b0c24698852e6a53173c.jpg

Another Zdoomism or something funky with the compatibility options or action tags?

4 hours ago, spindel said:

Top right is the switch, and bottom left is the floor that its supposed to lower to nearest floor (Action 221)

Why is it '221: S1 Lower to Nearest Floor' instead of '23: S1 Lower to Lowest Floor'?

Changing the switch's line special to the latter made it work properly.

This was a fun map. In the room where you can get the Barons to infight the Cyberdemon, I would have enjoyed the floor being a bit lower. This would force you to take the small lift up to the level of the Barons to get the Cyberdemon to hit. As it is, you can stand at the back of the room and that will be enough for the Cyber to be target you but hit the Barons. If the floor was a bit lower, this wouldn't be possible. (I think this is why you have that small lift in the room, but it can be avoided at the moment) I liked the way that walls would open when you were in the outer parts of the map to give the Cyberdemon a way to shoot you. In a sense I wish those areas had been more corridor-like, as it was fairly easy to get around a corner and get out of sight. A corridor would have made you have to pay more attention to the Cyberdemon.

I've played a few maps with this theme, and this was definitely one I enjoyed.

10 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Changing the switch's line special to the latter made it work properly.

It did, thanks! Why isn't 221 working here? Sector not big enough?

3 hours ago, Degree23 said:

This was a fun map. In the room where you can get the Barons to infight the Cyberdemon, I would have enjoyed the floor being a bit lower. This would force you to take the small lift up to the level of the Barons to get the Cyberdemon to hit. As it is, you can stand at the back of the room and that will be enough for the Cyber to be target you but hit the Barons. If the floor was a bit lower, this wouldn't be possible. (I think this is why you have that small lift in the room, but it can be avoided at the moment) I liked the way that walls would open when you were in the outer parts of the map to give the Cyberdemon a way to shoot you. In a sense I wish those areas had been more corridor-like, as it was fairly easy to get around a corner and get out of sight. A corridor would have made you have to pay more attention to the Cyberdemon.

I've played a few maps with this theme, and this was definitely one I enjoyed.

I'm glad you liked it, and I took the baron room floor thing into account. 

Spoiler

As for the outer area, I wanted the cyberdemon to get you if you corner yourself fighting the pinkies. Thats why I have the doors open up when you get to those corners :)

10 minutes ago, spindel said:

It did, thanks! Why isn't 221 working here? Sector not big enough?

It's because there are 2 sectors around the affected sector, and both of them have the same floor height.

If you join the 2 sectors around it, it works fine with 221.

On 8/27/2021 at 10:13 PM, Astro X said:

Hey, buddy, I think the map is good and probably does not need any changes. The only problem is that on a blind run it is very difficult to learn what to do, but I think that's the thing about puzzle maps.

I just saw your video, and yeah, the way to take care of those barons is a little obtuse.

Spoiler

I tried showing the player how to take care of the enemies in cages in the hellknight room, but eh.

11 hours ago, spindel said:

Hide contents

As for the outer area, I wanted the cyberdemon to get you if you corner yourself fighting the pinkies. Thats why I have the doors open up when you get to those corners :)

Ah yes. I dealt with that fight fairly easily so I didn't run into that problem, but I can see how that would happen if the Demon fight doesn't go as smoothly. Good point!

Pretty nice map! I was close to finishing it but I made the mistake of shooting rockets into one of the few closets meant to infight the cyber and ran out of ammo trying to kill it. I'd prefer if a couple of rooms aren't as cramped as they are but otherwise it's pretty fun.