Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

The usual suspects: Delphi Doom, Doom Legacy, Edge, Doomsday, and Risen3D.

Edited by Giomancer

I use PrBoom+ and GZDOOM, though I'm getting away from GZDOOM, PrBoom+ uses less system resources and I like its HUD options.

oh, damn, I have many...

Chocolate doom, Crispy Doom, Doom Legacy, Doom Retro, DSDA-Doom, Eternity Engine, GZDOOM, Zandronum, Zdaemon, Odamex, and the official Unity ports (okay, they aren't source ports, but they still count as ports).

On 7/9/2021 at 12:09 AM, TheMightyHeracross said:

No love for Woof? It's pretty much Crispy Doom with complevels, I've been using it for everything vanilla/Boom/MBF lately.

I love Woof!, but it doesn't have brightmaps yet.

I really like GZDOOM for singleplayer, LZDOOM for local splitscreen deathmatch / co-op, and mainly Zdaemon for multiplayer.

My brain.

braindoom.jpg.da5d24bfdcc7bd1f878f203fc103763b.jpg

Anyhoo, here's my list of my favourite ports:

1: GZDoom

For regular Dooming. It has a lot of options so I can make it play, look, and sound how I want it to. And it's highly modifiable. Easily gives the most amount of freedom as compared to other ports.

2: Eternity Engine

For a nice mix of modern and vanilla Doom. I use it to record demos and play mods that have issues in GZDoom. It even has its own DECORATE-like scripting language (EDF) and its own map formats.

3: Russian Doom

A nice vanilla and quite underrated source-port. Its a fork of Chocolate/Crispy with features from Doom Retro. It gives some nice options like brightmaps, swirly water effects, coloured blood variations, and even its own difficulty level, while still retaining its vanilla look. And it unlike other ports, it has Jaguar Doom and press release beta emulation. There's also Russian Heretic and Russian Hexen, meaning wide-screen demo-compatible ports for those two games as well.

My top favorites are GZDoom/ZDoom. My second favorites would be Crispy Doom and PrBoom+.

I like a lot of sourceports honestly.

Chocolate Doom and ZDoom. I just love Chocolate Doom because of what it is and ZDoom is my "Ol' Reliable". My decent laptop broke a few months back so now I'm stuck with my old PC and GZDoom makes it want to borderline jump off of a bridge (it's not that bad but the framerate sucks), so ZDoom has been doing it for me for quite a while. I've debated trying out LZDoom or PrBoom+, hopefully they won't make my PC want to jump in a bathtub.

Whatever Bill Gates used to transport himself into Doom in the mid to late 90s to sell Windows 95 to noobs. You can’t get that kind of immersion elsewhere, but it seems Bill Gates is hogging this source port for himself because windoom didn’t let you traverse into the game world like he could. 

Chocolate Doom. It's the most accurate to the original Doom, and I like it most for that authenticity factor.

I've made some prior posts about this, but I mostly play GZDoom, mostly 'cause gameplay mods (Trailblazer, Lt. Typhon, and FinalDoomer+ are my top reccs.), though sometimes I get a "Complex Doom"-like Zandronum hankering every now and then, and I always keep a couple of vanilla-accurate source ports around for level testing. My eye's also on the Eternity Engine, though I've yet to learn enough DECORATE for me to try proper weapon/monster replacements.

I prefer GZDoom for any modern project nowadays and other older stuff, as well like my enviroment to work in when doing maps or any mod.

However, I prefer Zandronum when talking about playing with friends and having more fun overall, although if GZDoom had a much, much better multiplayer someday, it would become my favorite source port probably.

i jump back and forth between GZ and LZdoom when making maps.

Playing wads i use LZDoom

For map testing/ making sure everything works GZDoom (for play testing my maps) and LZDoom (for playing wads)

Been using the Russian Doom port lately, it's pretty nice. It also support Hexen and Heretic thus saving me from using ZDoom for those. 

dsda-Doom is currently the source port I use the most for playing Doom , recording demos and dehacked shenanigans. I love dsda-Doom. I also use GZdoom for mods sometimes.

I lowkey fanboy for Crispy, I love having a near-vanilla-like visual and gameplay experience while still having certain QoL options like colored blood and freelook enabled when I want.  Generally though I like to play with the most minimum sourceport necessary to run the WAD I'm playing.  Obviously Crispy Doom isn't gonna run Time Tripper very well so I'll use GZDoom when the features of the WAD call for it.  Same with PRBoom+ for Boom compatibility, although I'm not so keen on the infinitely tall actors (another nice thing Crispy can disable actually).  

59 minutes ago, Uni said:

Been using the Russian Doom port lately, it's pretty nice. It also support Hexen and Heretic thus saving me from using ZDoom for those. 

I've testing it out and its better that i expected. Sure i can't play mods or more advanced things but i'ts really good for being a Vanilla Doom Source Port