Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnotherGrunt

EE 3.31beta7 mouse control

So, the last version I was able to acquire and have been able to run in DOS is Eternity Engine 3.31 (beta7) built in the year 2004. And it works. Unfortunately, it has some weird mouse control. I'm able to make 180° turn just by fast mouse-pull. I've tried to customize mouse sensitivity, but so far I haven't been able to talk sense into it.

ee331b7_mouse.png.6a089313a8a5613e137433cd564c8327.png

There is not such an issue in newer version (the mouse works perfectly smooth), so I have to raise question if there has been some patch or workaround over the years for DOS version of Eternity engine. Or if there is some backport available.

The mouse code was really bad back then. I do not know what the actual fix was, though. I do know nobody's done any work on supporting DOS versions of EE so far (ie with fix backports).

In more ways than one; Nobody develops for DOS anymore. Outside of archival necessity (I.e DOSBOX), it's an extremely dead operating system.

On 8/29/2021 at 10:19 PM, AnotherGrunt said:

@Edward850 I don't agree but I guess that is all I can do. Thanks at least for the answer.

Maybe not 100% dead but very much a niche thing only for a few dedicated hobbyists with a penchant for the archaic. The audience simply is not big enough to justify the development time.

I tried screwing around with FreeDOS a while ago. Could never get sound to work even on quite old machines so rapidly lost interest.

Hey @AnotherGrunt

Would you mind sharing your machine configuration? On my machine I have seen simiar behaviour in the much earlier build used by Caverns of Darkness, and I have tried @gerwin's MBF too and got the impression it behaved similarly. I'm trying to guess the cause for this (as in port itself, allegro, BIOS in case of USB or the mouse being used) and am personally not convinced it is the port.

By "behaviour" I am referring to ridiculously big turns (as in number of degrees) when mouse is engaged in a very rapid move for a very brief period of time, e.g. when you ract to  a revenant on your side which just came out of nowhere, and end up looking in a completely random direction instead.

5 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Would you mind sharing your machine configuration?

I would not mind to share configuration but I'm not very much sure configuration of what you want to share.

5 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

I'm trying to guess the cause for this (as in port itself, allegro, BIOS in case of USB or the mouse being used) and am personally not convinced it is the port.

But I'm convinced it is the port.

• MBF works just fine. Alongside vanilla 1.9. Tested on many configurations.
  • There is button in a newer version of EE, not available in DOS version:ee_mouse.gif.d30edaf9beec82ecee668bfbaeb50b98.gif