Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
El Juancho

What's the best sourceport for wolfenstein 3D?

I wanna play wolfenstein 3D and i dont know in which sourceport play, please it needs to play like vanilla, not like gzdoom with doom, you know what i mean.

Edited by El juancho

This one feels great imo: https://wolf3d.net/ecwolf/

I wanted Wolf3D with a slightly better resolution and WSDA controls, and this provided both perfectly! Not to mention the automap from the SNES version is also included. All around a great package. The gameplay itself feels just like it did in the real Wolf3D.

ECWolf is great. LZWolf is a fork with additional modding functionality, and may be needed for some mods. Every other mod is probably gonna be its own weird custom fork of the DOS engine or Wolf2SDL, due to how the Wolf3D modding scene worked (or didn't work, depending on your perspective) for a long time.

Although as the creator of ECWolf I obviously concur with the replies, since the OP asked for vanilla what he's probably looking for is Reflection Wolf3D which is the equivalent to Chocolate Doom.

That said I will note that my goals with ECWolf is slightly more conservative than GZDoom so it really will depend on how much of a purist you are as to which is the "best."  Now it's not really much more conservative than what GZDoom probably would revert if breaking mods wasn't a concern, but I think these are also the main things that GZDoom is criticized for.

I will mention that Wolf4SDL does technically exist, although it looks like the most recent maintainer may have rage quit?  (He seems to have deleted his posts on forums and set the Wolf4SDL repo to read only.)  In any case it's not a true vanilla experience either (you can more reliably pick up items, you can walk into moving pushwalls, etc) so it's kind of in a very awkward middle ground between RefWolf3D and ECWolf, especially without a maintainer.

As Kinsie said, if you're interested in mods ECWolf/LZWolf are the only ports with actual mod support as the Doom community defines a mod.  All ports obviously support vanilla mods, but the Wolf3D community has a long history of creating custom source ports for their mods so if a mod contains an executable you almost always have to use it.

Besides these four I'm not aware of any other source port effort that's actually worth using, so it shouldn't take you long to find the one that works best for you.

I still would highly recommend you to play with ECWolf because of its automap. If you want to enjoy the game you'll need it.

For the most vanilla experience I would suggest using DOSBOX. If you are uncomfortable with having to use the dos prompt, or having to drag and drop the EXE every time you want to play, then try  this or another DOSBOX front end. This will allow you to configure your files and easily access the DOS games without having to configure it again. 

If you want to play the DOS version with (or without) an automap and/or modern controls, try this mod. 

All the source ports I’ve tried have their pros and cons. Biggest con I could think of is almost none of them seem to perfectly reflect the “sounds from a distance” effect from the original game as far as I could tell, but it’s been a while since I’ve tried any of them so maybe this has since been improved. Compared to most of the pros of using a source port I’d say it probably isn’t a huge deal, but it does take away a bit of the immersion and suspense. 

Edited by TelicAx7

While the original question has been answered, I can still add a reply to one of the posts:

On 8/29/2021 at 8:19 PM, TelicAx7 said:

All the source ports I’ve tried have their pros and cons. Biggest con I could think of is almost none of them seem to perfectly reflect the “sounds from a distance” effect from the original game as far as I could tell, but it’s been a while since I’ve tried any of them so maybe this has since been improved. Compared to most of the pros of using a source port I’d say it probably isn’t a huge deal, but it does take away a bit of the immersion and suspense. 

@TelicAx7 Can you check the last version of Reflection Wolfenstein 3D? It had multiple changes related to sound output, including changes that should hopefully make stereo panning closer to what you'd get with vintage hardware. There are also a few related settings in the launcher.

I like ECWolf or LZWolf when I can use it. Some of the best mods,  like Spear Resurrection, Castle Totenkopf SDL, or Team Raycast mods, will not run with EC or LZWolf, however. They require SDL. But there are several good mods that can be run with ECWolf or LZWolf:

Any pure mapset where nothing except the levels are changed (I recommend: The Way id Did series - yes it exists!, Acktung! series, DHW Wolf3D/Spear Mapsets, Alliance of Powers)

Discipline

Treasure Hunt

Coffee Break

Project: Totengraeber

DHW Totengraeber Mapset

Assassinate Hitler

Countdown to Disaster

Deadly Sleep

KowTow

Unwanted Mission Pack

Operation: Serpent

Coming of the Storm (works in LZWolf only)