Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GodKreytr

Is it physically possible for someone to be as strong as doomguy?

i've been working out for quite some time and thought "hey this feels like lifting a super shotgun!" i then went to da kitchen 4 sum foood and started thinking about being strong like the man himself.

1 hour ago, DavidN said:

There was a US programme called Mythbusters that verified that yes, it is possible to carry all the equipment that Doomguy does and still be effective in armed combat:

(The legs strong enough to run at 80mph, probably less plausible)

I saw this episode and applaud them for engaging with DOOM. My own answer would also be a yes. Imao, carrying more than a rifle (either sbr or full barrel, to taste) a shotgun, and a pistol side arm + moderate ammo for all three is unnecessary and only serves to reduce the ammo you can carry. (Don't forget two decent folding knives, and perhaps an obstruction removal tool) Presumably, you'll be wearing body armor and a radio device some kind. I have had some professional experience as an armed officer. Unless you are a dedicated member of the team who's carrying some kind of larger support weapon, that's all you need.

At least in terms of your equipment. 

Don't forget to fill a cattle syringe with 10 grams of adrenaline, 10 grams of refined pure evil, jam the souls of three serial killers in there too and then shove that needle into your neck and inject. Wait thirty seconds, you'll feel it long before then. Finally stick your arm into the herpitarium. You'll know you've gotten it right when a venomous snake bites you and dies. The demons will tend to infighting rather than take you on. 

Well... I don't think so because doom guy can survive thousands of demons and even hell itself. I'm certain no human being on this earth can survive anything like that x)

Well he did not have a BFG or 60 rockets with a rocket launcher to carry..  definitely not without a huge backpack, where does doomguy put it all?

38 minutes ago, Gez said:

You know it sorta makes sense that Doomguy can't jump after all.

May also explain why he can't look up or down: He has chronic back and neck problems from carrying all that gear.

2 hours ago, Gibbon said:

where does doomguy put it all?

His Hall Of Mirrors pocket. Anything can fit in there!

Umm... no. Of course not. Mythbuster's episode was fun but they forgot to cover ammo in particular which would be a not insignificant amount of weight and physical space. No matter how strong you were, the physical dimensions of the gear simply do not work. It is impossible for a human to carry it all. It is also impractical. One quick turn and the chaingun is swinging around on it's strap and smashing your naughty bits.

You would need an entourage pulling everything behind you on carts, or a pocket dimension.

6 hours ago, Sergeant G said:

only serves to reduce the ammo you can carry.

That's what the chainsaw is for, baby.

Even if someone was strong enough, carrying that many weapons wouldn't be a great idea, really. It just starts getting in the way.

11 hours ago, GodKreytr said:

i've been working out for quite some time and thought "hey this feels like lifting a super shotgun!" i then went to da kitchen 4 sum foood and started thinking about being strong like the man himself.

How does lifting a weight feel like lifting a double barreled shotgun? Why do you lift weights near the kitchen? Why does going to the kitchen to get food make you contemplate if you could be as strong as a somebody that is impossibly strong?

I’ve carried a “light” machine gun (7-8kg) and about 800 rounds linked up in belts of various lengths, plus a few grenades and some other bits and pieces, plus a helmet and armour, in a combat exercise running up some Scottish terrain in my previous job. I’ve also carried various other military hardware, sometimes just as a load of weight that needed moving.

I’ve never been very strong, but I reckon I’d have been ineffective in combat carrying much over 20kg of weapons and equipment for any length of time even at my peak. Ignoring the energy weapons, as we can assume they’re light and futuristic, I suspect the conventional firearms and the non-backpack ammo counts would be excessive for even 80s action hero builds, mostly because of the sheer bulk and weight of the rockets. You’d be like the guy in the old action parody film, loading up with a load of gear and falling over when you try to take a step! I can’t imagine running around with a chainsaw that isn’t in custom holster would go well, either…

Of course, if you just had to transport all of that stuff in an advance to a staging area, and you could physically get 50 rockets in some kind of man-portable container, I suspect the weight would be viable on foot, but a massive struggle. Slogging a few miles with 40kg or more, per man, is a large part of the training.

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

How does lifting a weight feel like lifting a double barreled shotgun? Why do you lift weights near the kitchen? Why does going to the kitchen to get food make you contemplate if you could be as strong as a somebody that is impossibly strong?

I life weights in the garage which is near the kitchen + i was lifting really tough weights.

Well, considering Doomguy is a Marine, and IRL marines are trained to carry up to a average of 90-140(and in some cases 119) pounds of gear on them, it's not that far fetched that he could in theory carry up to or even heavier stuff on him, due to his extreme training when he signed up to be a marine.

Can a human run as fast has doom guy? probably not without some artificial help.

Has anyone ever killed your pet rabbit?

Joking aside: It would be very difficult to estimate how buff Doomguy is, as (I hope) we don't have any facts on how tall or heavy Doomguy is, or how heavy the actual weapons are. Or how the heck it's possible to fit 100 rockets into one tiny backpack or how it even is possible for him to one punch a human into minced meat using berserk (and what is inside the berserker pack that makes him so strong in the first place). It is however safe to assume that Doomguy isn't your avarage Joe, and having them muscles like him *will* make you feel great.

I mean, it is fiction after all. And you probably shouldn't chase something that is crazy difficult to obtain.

5 hours ago, Gez said:

To really test Doomguy's strength, they need to carry:

- body armor

- an NBC suit over the armor

- two shotguns (pump action, twin-barreled)

- the minigun prop from those Predator and Terminator movies

- a bazooka

- plasma rifle and BFG props (real mass and volume need to be guesstimated, but the point of the BFG is that it's fuckin' big)

- a chainsaw

- a pistol

- a knukle-duster

- 400 pistol bullets

- 100 shotgun shells

- 100 rockets

- 600 cells (another point of guesstimation; but I figure six car batteries would be a credible stand-in for cumbersomeness)

- three keycards

- three skulls

... You know it sorta makes sense that Doomguy can't jump after all.

on the other hand, Doomguy is a Marine pumped up on UAC millitary drugs

If Doomguy uses both his hands to hold most of his heavy weapons, then does that mean he's picking everything up with his feet while running? Man is strong as hell and flexible as shit.

Note that doom is set in the far future, where many people have discussed the use of implants and such to "enhance" the body

On lundi 30 août 2021 at 6:40 PM, Grandeur said:

Is Duke Nukem less strong than Doomguy?

Duke's probably stronger, actually. He has more weapons and also carries an inventory with a holoduke projector, a jetpack, scuba gear, protective boots, a portable medkit, and steroids. Ammo-wise, it's kind of a wash. Duke carries generally less than Doomguy (when the weapons are directly comparable, he carries the same amount of ammo as a backpackless Doomguy) but it's compensated by carrying more ammo types due to a greater variety of weapons. (Doomguy has only four ammo types, Duke has eleven.)

And Duke can still jump.

5 hours ago, printz said:

Someone make player sprites with all current equipment visible…

It would look like a total mess lol

5 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

It's possible for BJ Blazkowicz

Well he only has to deal with two keys, 99 bullets, a knife, a pistol, machinegun, and "chaingun". Optionally also a flamethrower and a rocket launcher, with corresponding ammo, but that's still less than what Doomguy has to deal with.

On the other hand, he does have to carry some absurd amount of plundered treasure. I wonder if anyone ever bothered to tally all the crosses, crowns, chalices, and chests that Blazko gets to pick up if you max each episode of Wolf 3D and Spear of Destiny. (Plus radios, plutonium samples, control panels, and bomb casings if you count the FormGen mission packs.)

I'm going to go as a big NO on that one. Video Game protagonists in general tend to have super human abilities. I remember reading somewhere that Doomguy's backpack is not actually a backpack but more like a sci-fi carrying device that places everything in a very small pocket dimension (Or maybe teleports them to a store room somewhere?). Even if we take that to be true (Again, I'm not at all sure if Doomguy's backpack being essentially a Bag of Holding is official or just a fan theory) I still don't think it's possible to be that strong. Reason being that with the berserk pack, Doomguy can consistently gib zombiemen. Now I do think if you train enough (and get hoped up on chemicals) you can kill a person with one punch (since zombiemen are basically normal humans that are possessed). However, that doesn't mean you'd be able to explode them. Humans can be killed distressingly easily but the human body itself is much more resilient and durable. I don't think it's possible for one person to be so strong that they can hit another person with so much force that their skeleton explodes out of them like shrapnel.