Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RottKing

Rott!Zone Deathmatch wad *Updated release

I took a stroll through the maps.

Map01 really has my only grievance - a lot of the architecture and cool seems kind of the same, and I wouldn't mind seeing more colour or something more definitive to help quickly identify where I am so i wouldn't need to play the map a ton to make it second nature. The hotel map may seem a little big, but I think i would need to get some proper games on it before determining that. Otherwise I think this is a fantastic set that is expertly crafted and seemingly well balanced, and accommodating for a variety of playstyles and game modes. Edits to older maps (such as the former CGI2 map?) are welcome additions for more players, and looks beneficial to the overall game play compared to what I remember previously. A nice variety of themes is good for keeping interest during play time and lessens visual burnout. Maps seem to lend themselves to more complex/strategic play rather than direct SSG jousting, which is fantastic and the way to go.

Excellent job!

I meant to comment on this sooner, but Decay reminded me with his post.

Actually ran through these myself and pulled them up in Doom Builder. Really beautiful work with great architecture and layouts.

It's made me want to fire up DM and find a server running these maps so I can play in them. So I plan to do that soon.

Thanks for all the comments ya'll, it was fun putting together a new deathmatch set again, I'm glad everyone is enjoying it

This is quality stuff! I'm impressed at how modern these maps look and feel for a Boom-compatible set.

So I went and released what should be the final version of the wad, with a bunch of midis fixed thanks to Ralphis! https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d5td9isq7u33od/rottzone.zip?dl=0

There has also been some changes to the maps:

Map01:

• Expanded the upper green armor location a bit
  • Added a soul sphere to the plasma lava room
  • The lower teleporter area now is surrounded by damaging slime

Map03:

• Midi was swapped out for another due to technical issues

Map06:

• Raised blue armor crate up by 64 units
  • Added a soul sphere to plasma platform

Map08:

• Added a rocket launcher to outside rooftop area
  • Added a tactical diving board for dynamic cover
  • yJFlsYtt.png

Map09:

• Added an SSG behind the rocket launcher room

Alright played this for a couple hours today with Insanity Deathmatch loaded. Overall excellent pack. Very easy to lock in to the layouts and good flow. The only map that didn't feel right was the large city map. It's much bigger than the rest and there was a lot of wandering around looking for people to shoot. Also was tough to get a mental picture of the layout. It's not necessarily a bad map but it doesn't flow like the rest of the set. I think that map would work really well as a LMS map though.

All in all, a top draw DM pack and nice to see something new hit the shelves.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:22 PM, Bridgeburner56 said:

Alright played this for a couple hours today with Insanity Deathmatch loaded. Overall excellent pack. Very easy to lock in to the layouts and good flow. The only map that didn't feel right was the large city map. It's much bigger than the rest and there was a lot of wandering around looking for people to shoot. Also was tough to get a mental picture of the layout. It's not necessarily a bad map but it doesn't flow like the rest of the set. I think that map would work really well as a LMS map though.

All in all, a top draw DM pack and nice to see something new hit the shelves.

Thanks for the feedback, happy to hear you liked it for the most part! Yeah the city map is a bit experimental, i always wanted to make a map with that sort of layout so it was a fun challenge to make something a bit different.

I loved MAP10 so much that I've made a remake for Xonotic (an arena shooter based on the darkplaces engine). It was quite the challenge to convert the map to a brush based map, but I had alot of fun. The unplayable outside area doesn't resemble the original yet so it's not fully finished, but the rest is fully textured, lit and playable. I've made a forum post for the map and took some screenshots. I've included some screenshots under this reply as well.

I don't know how you feel about a remake such as this, I figured it'd be fine to make a remake without asking for permission first. But if you truly dislike it I'll happily take it down.

xonotic20220130223847-00.jpg

xonotic20220130223857-00.jpg

xonotic20220130223911-00.jpg

Oh no I'm totally fine with that, that's awesome! I'm very flattered you liked it so much to do something like that, that's really cool!