Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aeroly Merton

Bloody Bricks - Singleplayer Doom2 map

Bloody Bricks is a 1 singleplayer Doom 2 map, the format of the map is ZDoom in Hexen so I recommend using Zandronum or GZDoom.

I replaced the Hurt me plenty and Ultraviolence difficulty for:

-Normal:Normal amount of enemies which can be taken down with the ammo available.

-Slaughter:Tough and more enemies, less ammo (I Recommend using save states, its hard).

Any feedback about anything related to the map are accepted.

Link:https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wb86ion568jxdo/BloodyBricks.zip?dl=0

https://www.mediafire.com/file/58jsx94uoh9lr5s/BloodyBricks.zip/file

Only 1 screenshot because the map is kinda short:

Screenshot_Doom_20210830_012620.png

Edited by Aeroly Merton

7 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

The first room looks nice, but the map itself feels a bit underwhelming.

Thanks for playing the map and for the video!

I had in mind Slaughter maps when I made this.

I had a go at this on Slaughter difficulty and moved down to Normal after being overwhelmed in the first large room. That Cyberdemon and Archvile combo are a tough match and I'd love to see someone actually completing this level on that difficulty.

Moving down to Normal I found I could cheese the Blue Skull by gently shooting the Baron so he would step away from it, thus skipping the first room remembering to grab the Super Shotgun. When I got to the second room I wasn't sure what to do so I killed everything there was. It wasn't until I opened the automap that I realised there was a tunnel on the far side behind a walkable wall. Maybe this could be taught to the player at the start of the map? I like the use of that moving trapped souls texture being something I could walk through, though I anticipated a third large room on the other side of the tunnel.

Overall I really liked the aesthetic, I personally struggle using Hellish textures so seeing how well everything fit together here was pleasing to the eye. I think I most enjoyed the item placement of the health and ammo in the second room. Having to weave around projectiles whilst constantly attempting to get more shotgun ammo felt really fun.

7 hours ago, FreazyWarr said:

I had a go at this on Slaughter difficulty and moved down to Normal after being overwhelmed in the first large room. That Cyberdemon and Archvile combo are a tough match and I'd love to see someone actually completing this level on that difficulty.

Moving down to Normal I found I could cheese the Blue Skull by gently shooting the Baron so he would step away from it, thus skipping the first room remembering to grab the Super Shotgun. When I got to the second room I wasn't sure what to do so I killed everything there was. It wasn't until I opened the automap that I realised there was a tunnel on the far side behind a walkable wall. Maybe this could be taught to the player at the start of the map? I like the use of that moving trapped souls texture being something I could walk through, though I anticipated a third large room on the other side of the tunnel.

Overall I really liked the aesthetic, I personally struggle using Hellish textures so seeing how well everything fit together here was pleasing to the eye. I think I most enjoyed the item placement of the health and ammo in the second room. Having to weave around projectiles whilst constantly attempting to get more shotgun ammo felt really fun.

Thanks for taking your time playing the map and for the comment!
You're right about the soul texture, when a solid texture is there you don't expect to walking through, I will use transparency the next time.
In regards to slaughter difficulty, the key of completing the map is infighting. In the first room, I put the amount of ammo to take down the important monsters, which is the Cyberdemon and Archvile, to kill the Cyberdemon you have to weaken it with the Cacos, there is an amount of 22 Cacos which 6 to 9 Cacos remain dormant until you shot, and in the center pillar is an Archvile that have diagonal blind spots thanks to the wall.
So I give the player 2 options.
Take down the Archvile as fast as possible to focus on dodging the 22 Cacos and Cyberdemon or not shooting and using the blind spots of the Archvile so instead of dodging 22 Cacos, you deal with 14, the Cyber and baron can take the first batch of Cacos then kill the archvile and take the second batch easily, either works.