Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cheesewheel

Uprising (Megawad)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Glad the RC1 is already here, pal!
Been having a blast playtesting it.

I will give you feedbback of HNTR as is the difficulty i usually play on.

This mapset totally deserves a proper soundtrack, so tagging some great composer to help if they feel it ;)

@Bucket @Cammy @northivanastan @Eris @leejacksonaudio @JDoyle @Lippeth @Xulgonoth @Gustavo6046

Hope you like it, guys!

Edited by P41R47

Share this post


Link to post

Exciting news, I was looking forward for this (I liked CPD a lot)
Congratulations on the release!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Glad the RC1 is already here, pal!
Been having a blast playtesting it.

I will give you feedbback of HNTR as is the difficulty i usually play on.

This mapset totally deserves a proper soundtrack, so tagging some great composer to help if they feel it ;)

@Bucket @Cammy @northivanastan @Eris @leejacksonaudio @JDoyle 

I'm one of the first six "great composers" you thought of? A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

I'm a bit busy with university and there is one other project I've signed up to make music for.
Nonetheless if I have time and Cheesewheel wants help, I might put my BTSX playthrough on pause to run through this mapset, and see if anything inspires me. It's always nice to have options.

Edit: It looks like Cheesewheel made some excellent choices of existing music anyway :) but the offer still stands.

Share this post


Link to post

This. Is. AWESOME

I really love the atmosphere and the skies of the maps. They look sick, beautiful and AWESOME. Best Megawad of 2021 here, congrats

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

This mapset totally deserves a proper soundtrack, so tagging some great composer to help if they feel it ;)

Honored to be a part of this club, thank you for the ping!

 

Those screenshots, hhhhhhhhhh

D2sdMxyWsAc3zvA.jpg.c342b6bf851277e33aa6bf8c82acf00d.jpg

My current schedule is booked tight, but the instant I'm free, I'll be knocking at your door, @Cheesewheel.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Glad the RC1 is already here, pal!
Been having a blast playtesting it.

I will give you feedbback of HNTR as is the difficulty i usually play on.

This mapset totally deserves a proper soundtrack, so tagging some great composer to help if they feel it ;)

@Bucket @Cammy @northivanastan @Eris @leejacksonaudio @JDoyle @Lippeth @Xulgonoth @Gustavo6046

Hope you like it, guys!

I wish I could help, but between my time in the hospital and my post-hospital leftover health issues, plus my previous commitments, I simply don't have the time right now. Please accept my apologies for not being able to chip in on this project.

Share this post


Link to post

Congratulations on the release! I'm proud to have served as a playtester on such an epic wad.

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

I'm one of the first six "great composers" you thought of? A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

I'm a bit busy with university and there is one other project I've signed up to make music for.
Nonetheless if I have time and Cheesewheel wants help, I might put my BTSX playthrough on pause to run through this mapset, and see if anything inspires me. It's always nice to have options.

Edit: It looks like Cheesewheel made some excellent choices of existing music anyway :) but the offer still stands.

 

No pressure, if a level speaks to you at any point, let me know!

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Cheesewheel said:

Cyberdemon (4000hp) - It's red now!

 

Here some ideas for a new name:

 

- vermilion cyber

- cybredemon

- red hot cybie pepper

- moving stop sign

Share this post


Link to post

So this is what you've been teasing the past few months!

 

Grats on the release! Gonna download and play this beaut right away! Would be interesting to see how it compares to your previous megawad :)

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, i suck at nicknames said:

Hey if its not an issue, can a download mirror be provided? For some reason Im unable to download it from the Dropbox link

 

https://ufile.io/c9gs72br

 

No probs, tell me if this doesn't work.

Share this post


Link to post

Any chance you can increase the shotgun firing sound? It sounds very muffled in comparison to the pistol, chaingun, and ssg.

 

The opening maps were a ton of fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Firedust said:

Any chance you can increase the shotgun firing sound? It sounds very muffled in comparison to the pistol, chaingun, and ssg.

 

The opening maps were a ton of fun!

 

It's unchanged but I can take a look.

Share this post


Link to post

Looking forward to playing this. Two questions.

 

I had "No Spaghetti Code" pounded into me in college, so I tend to re-organize wads for my own benefit before I play them. I put maps in order and sort patches and flats. Can't tell you how many times I've found entire texture packs added multiple times in wads. So I noticed that WIRE2 and WIRE4 were not 128 units wide. Doesn't that cause issues in pr-boom? Did I post them incorrectly in the texture thread back when? Here's all four of them at 128.

 

Secondly, how in the hell did you color-translate the green Cyber sprites into red just using Dehacked? I didn't know that was possible.

 

 

DOBWIRE.zip

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Cheesewheel said:

 

It's unchanged but I can take a look.

Okay, that's probably because the new sounds are very loud lol

 

I'm sorry, that was dumb of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Looking forward to playing this. Two questions.

 

I had "No Spaghetti Code" pounded into me in college, so I tend to re-organize wads for my own benefit before I play them. I put maps in order and sort patches and flats. Can't tell you how many times I've found entire texture packs added multiple times in wads. So I noticed that WIRE2 and WIRE4 were not 128 units wide. Doesn't that cause issues in pr-boom? Did I post them incorrectly in the texture thread back when? Here's all four of them at 128.

 

Secondly, how in the hell did you color-translate the green Cyber sprites into red just using Dehacked? I didn't know that was possible.

 

 

DOBWIRE.zip

 

Oh thank you! I'm sorry but I forgot to put this in the credits (I will sort that). I think I had to edit the texture a little bit because I couldn't get a perfect version at the time or something along those lines, was a while ago when I added them.

 

It's the multiplayer flags for changing the marine colours applied to the cyberdemon. It's also how the hotshot and marksman can use the same sprites, they are both derived from a green zombie marine sprite too.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

 

8 minutes ago, Cheesewheel said:

It's the multiplayer flags for changing the marine colours applied to the cyberdemon. It's also how the hotshot and marksman can use the same sprites, they are both derived from a green zombie marine sprite too.

I don't think I've seen that done before. Very cool.

 

Edit: As to credits, whatever. I said once that I was an editor, not an artist, so I feel a little awkward getting credit for adapting someone else's work. I've seen textures I've posted used in a dozen different wads and never saw a credit. That's okay. I've posted textures and found later that Adelusion or Cage or DrDoctor or Nightmare or Esselfortium or Jimmy had the same idea years ago. It feels like everything's been done; it's just a matter of remembering who did it and where to find it. In 20 years, no one's going to care anyway. It'll all be 'community'.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

 

I don't think I've seen that done before. Very cool.

 

Must credit @Doomkid for the idea - I first saw it in Rowdy Rudy 2 so the zombieman and plasmaguy share the same sprite but are different colours.

Share this post


Link to post

Are you willing to use extended dehacked or dehextra?

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, JXC said:

Are you willing to use extended dehacked or dehextra?

 

Not planning on making any changes to the dehacked, I consider it finished.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree about the pistol sound being louder than necessary. Aside from the volume issue it sounds very nice though, and together with the dehacked change it makes for a very satisfying weapon. It's nothing fancy, but the increased speed combined with no extra delay when letting go of the trigger (as opposed to most default Doom weapons) makes it very enjoyable for sniping.

 

I've tried CPD before, and it was quite interesting, but with the cliche story and the pretty typical techbase theme, it didn't hook me in super hard.

Spoiler

And after a series of increasingly blatant appearances, the text screen told me that the protagonist merely "feels" as if they're being watched, which kinda convinced me that the story is really gonna take its time to develop.

I've made it through six maps, maybe I'll pick it up later.

 

Uprising, on the other hand, has a story that's very concisely summarized yet more engaging straight away. The beginning of the first map has to be some of the best visual storytelling I've ever seen in Doom. It reminds me a lot of my mostly unsuccessful NaNoWADMo 2018 project, both in terms of general story and the starting area, except I've only detailed the entrance to the human hideout and put everything else behind a big impenetrable door, while you lovingly rendered the entire place.

 

The humanity is long gone, but there's a corpse in a marine armor right outside the hideout... who could that be? With all the demons roaming about, any new body would presumably be gone within weeks... most likely that's just one of those helmeted plasma zombies.

 

I've made it through two levels of Uprising, and ventured a bit into the third one. It's something of a theme change already, and I find myself wondering what is the purpose of this hellish building... because it feels like it matters.

 

Great interpic, by the way. All those bare skulls staring menacingly down at me really seem to embody the enormity of what our hero is up against.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I've been playing on HMP. I like playing on that setting, so I'll be glad to let you know how it plays. I just finished the 3rd map. Great looking map!

It's playing well for me on that setting so far.

 

Minor thing: In Map 02 you need the blue skull key. It is a blue card that you find, not a skull. No big deal, but may be a little confusing for some.

 

I'm using Doom Retro to play this and no problems at all so far.

 

I'm definitely enjoying it.

Share this post


Link to post

m10 has a seemingly unwanted exit switch right behind the player start

Share this post


Link to post

Played through the first 5 maps --  I'm enjoying this so far! Congrats on the release.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×