Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyMistDragon

Let's discuss the term boomer shooters....

7 minutes ago, RetroAkaMe said:

My friends think metal is for boomers.

So Doom is a boomer FPS for them. Not for me. It's a lame word. 

*sharping my viking axe* i'm sorry what? Metal music is for whom?

when I was around 1-5yo I loved metal because my parents did. If you'd ask them what music they'd play in a party, probably Chop Suey! Anyways, around the age of six I discovered electro and threw metal away. Shame on me. Since march, I started discovering metal back and I love it :') It makes me feel... Weird? It's too much emotions at the same time. Especially when I dance to it.

2 hours ago, magicsofa said:

You all got it wrong. "Boomers" are magic mushrooms. Therefore "boomer shooters" are videogames about shooting magic mushrooms.

It's supposed to be my job to explain that to people, back off!

7 minutes ago, RetroAkaMe said:

when I was around 1-5yo I loved metal because my parents did. If you'd ask them what music they'd play in a party, probably Chop Suey! Anyways, around the age of six I discovered electro and threw metal away. Shame on me. Since march, I started discovering metal back and I love it :') It makes me feel... Weird? It's too much emotions at the same time. Especially when I dance to it.

To me metal music is metal music. I've been a metal since the middle school. I understand and trust me all the bullshit relationships i've had, metal music was always there for me with open arms and saying "come here, let the music take you away"  and chop suey is such a great classic System of a down song from the album Toxicity. In my opinion is still one of there best if not the greatest album ever.

25 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Dark joke incoming: Wasn't WW2 a boomer shooter in real llife? *get's thrown in a pit full of pinky's and arch veils for making such a really dark joke*

Naw, my vote is the vietnam war was the real boomer shooter *stabbed yet again and thrown into the same pinky/archvile pit*

6 minutes ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

Now calm down @xScavengerWolfx, metal is for everyone. Same thing with video games, we have metal for all ages. Some people just don't know that.

Metal is a fairly esoteric genre that really doesn't appeal to most people's tastes. I almost never see any young people at metal concerts. 

You people take this term more seriously than it should.
Boomer shooters refers to 5th gen FPS games, because comparing to gaming generations, that's the generations that boomers would be.
We are at the 9th gen of games. If the 9th gen are Alpha, then 8th gen are Zoomers, 7th gen are millenials, 6th gen are Gen X, and naturally, 5th gen are baby boomers (coincidentally the 5th gen of gaming was when technology was moving at it's fastest and gaming was having a boom).

16 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

Metal is a fairly esoteric genre that really doesn't appeal to most people's tastes. I almost never see any young people at metal concerts. 

It's a whole 'nother discussion but when every "real metal" band at a festival is either from 1995 or sounds like they're from 1995, yeah I can see it. And metalheads don't do the scene any favors when they don't consider newer bands "real metal". Periphery is "djent", Ghost is "hard rock", A7X is "hard rock"...I can go on. Yeah they can talk about how Cynic's Focus is so outside the box, but people HATED Focus when it released! 

I remember the term "corridor shooting".  I guess referencing the Wolf3d style?  

Either way, I'll coin a new term...

"Behind the gun shootie game"  or "BGSG". 

IT IS DECIDED.  AMEN.

I don't have any issue with that term. In fact, if I run across that term, it is a good sign (think of some cool videos in YT, like that video from Marphy where the protagonists dissappear, for instance). However, just like many terms that generate in internet, it ends up being overused, and it may get kinda annoying

In this case, it is really GREAT to see that term

Boomer is just someone you disagree with

It's called boomer shooter because it's an old style of shooters, not because it's played by actual boomers.

Ghost is a combination of many different styles of music. I'd describe 'em largely as a cross between prog rock, and traditional metal with a dash of psychedelic doom. Whatever they are, they're fuckin' great and I want to see 'em tour again.

I had no idea that people ever hated the album Focus. As far as I knew, it was always regarded as a masterpiece, and rightly so.

Have never thought it was a dig at oldschool fps games. Thought it was just tongue in cheek fun. I mean - what, does Civvie and his fanbase who call them boomer shooters hate boomer shooters? Obviously not... Quite the contrary. So no malicious intent, imo. Seems like making a mountain out of a molehill

I don't really mind, and the use of the word is just analogous to Retro in that case... The term came up, was overused, lost all meaning and now it's not used an insult (at least unironically) by anyone, from what i see at least.

I mean, the other alternatives are 90's shooters and Retro shooters i guess? Arena shooters are usually a separate category. Anyways i don't really have any strong feelings about the term.

44 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

I had no idea that people ever hated the album Focus. As far as I knew, it was always regarded as a masterpiece, and rightly so.

Same here, usually when Focus is brought up it's to discuss the fact that it's legendary. Personally I've never heard any controversy, although Wikipedia states that it had "a negative reception within the metal scene".

The term boomer shooter is largely tongue in cheek. It's extremely catchy, and in my opinion; mildly humorous. Referring to older FPS games as "Doom clones" quickly became antiquated, and "retro FPS" just isn't very catchy or punchy sounding in the way boomer shooter is.

I consider "boomer" to be a term of endearment and I use it every day.

1 hour ago, [McD]James said:

hahahahahaha

this made me laugh for sure.

Metal is the pop-ier genre of all.
There more subgenre of metal than any other style of music.
And there far more metal bands out there than any other kind of band out there.

And even so, a lot of people just grow up from the badass i'm tough attitude that mostly dominates it.

In my country, most concerts were dominated by young metalheads that need to indentify themselves with
Thats the reason they go for the esoteric style, but they are not esoteric, its only that they need to reinvent themselves to still being visually and musicaly interesting after all this years.

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are the concept of metal made game, so do you think that is esoteric being one of the most popular games of the last years?
And this come from someone that grew listening to all kind of metal bands.
You want something esoteric?
Go listen to underwear t-shirt rock, good luck finding it as there are just two or three bands of it and some of them don't know at all they are underwear t-shirt bands.

About the thread topic.
Doomer shooter is all i hear.
Boomer shooter? No, thats a mistake.
Listen carefully, they are saying Doomer shooter.
Dooooooooomerrrr Shoooooteeerrrrr.
With D of Doom.

1 minute ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

Not exactly wild about the term, but much better than murder simulator.

This man wants to have a word with you.

image.png.d4c98b2a3c60bfc494edfaa543a574bf.png

52 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

I mean, i'm not arguing that metal is some kind of underground genre because it's definitely not, but the days of it being *the* popular thing amongst teens is way far gone. Plus there's a huge difference between poppy bands like Sabaton and the less popular sub-genres... Like you said, there's huge variety that goes under the 'metal' umbrella.

But no, really, this younger generation mostly doesn't care about metal at all. It's a huge genre, but it was never the 'pop-ier genre of all'

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

hahahahahaha

this made me laugh for sure.

And even so, a lot of people just grow up from the badass i'm tough attitude that mostly dominates it.

In my country, most concerts were dominated by young metalheads that need to indentify themselves with
Thats the reason they go for the esoteric style, but they are not esoteric, its only that they need to reinvent themselves to still being visually and musicaly interesting after all this years.

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are the concept of metal made game, so do you think that is esoteric being one of the most popular games of the last years?
And this come from someone that grew listening to all kind of metal bands.
You want something esoteric?
Go listen to underwear t-shirt rock, good luck finding it as there are just two or three bands of it and some of them don't know at all they are underwear t-shirt bands.

About the thread topic.
Doomer shooter is all i hear.
Boomer shooter? No, thats a mistake.
Listen carefully, they are saying Doomer shooter.
Dooooooooomerrrr Shoooooteeerrrrr.
With D of Doom.

I really don't know what you're going on about here.

Who the hell cares? It's just a cheeky nickname based on the 30-year-old Boomer meme. If it bugs you that much, you can take solace in the fact that it will lose its appeal like any other meme eventually.

Edited by Biodegradable

4 hours ago, xScavengerWolfx said:

*Listens to nu metal music* Doomers.

Old, Young... I'm a guy with an editor

(In the Voice of Ash from evil dead)

5 hours ago, RevenantFTS97 said:

like that video from Marphy where the protagonists dissappear, for instance

On this YouTube video, I got an ad for an adblocker. The amount of hilarious irony should not be possible.