Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

What are the best custom wads of all time?

I'm on the hunt for finding some of the best ever wads. So far I have on my list:

Sunlust
Memento Mori 1 and 2
Plutonia/TNT (technically)
Doom the Way id Did
Brutal Doom (it's a pk3 but it's technically the same)
UAC Doomsday

Doesn't matter what time period.

I choose this list with my starwars mod in mind. So, i prefer Megawads with not much extra content to avoid own editing and max compativility
My list (.wad names):
Doom1 Megawads
BGComp - Bijou - concern - DTWID - HEROES - INVASION - NIVELES - NJDOOM1 - nmdu - RAGE20 - WD13
Doom2 Megawads
hr2final - moonbld - sargasso - SCYTHE - SPACWARS - sunlust - TNTR - zone300
Heretic
HOCx

Valiant

Ancient Aliens

Back to Saturn X (Disclaimer: I have not played it yet, waiting for Episode 3.)

Requiem

STRAIN

ICARUS

Remember, there is no correct answer: "Best" is merely a matter of opinion. ;-)

Ok, how many topics are going to be about the best WADs of all time? I've seen that kind of topics like 5 times

Just now, Teo Slayer said:

Ok, how many topics are going to be about the best WADs of all time? I've seen that kind of topics like 5 times

SORRY MAYBE I JUST WANNA BE ENLIGHTENED

There's no way I could list everything, but here are a few that I really enjoy:

Violence

Ancient Aliens
Lunatic
Valiant
Vanguard
Rush
Sunlust
Sunder
Swim With The Whales
ESP

Scythe 1 is still my favorite megawad at the moment. Even if its story is an afterthought I still really like the thematic tone of it all, especially burial grounds and 3000 A.D.

Best is hard to pin down but I consider required playing: Alien Vendetta,

Scythe 2,

Community Chest 4,

Epic 2,

Speed of Doom,

Bloodstain (probably my favorite),

Sunlust or Stardate 20X6 or Stardate 20X7,

Lunatic or Ancient Alien,

Rush or Micro Slaughter Community Project

I'm more of a Plutonia than TNT guy so combat is most important to me but nice aesthetics help a lot too

I think this would be more fitting in WADs and Mods but I'm bored so I'll answer it anyway.

My top 5 would be:

Eternal Doom

Doom 2 The Way Id Did

The Hell On Earth Starter Pack

Speed Of Doom

Hell Revealed

Do Ashes 2063, Blade of Agony, or Psychophobia count as wads? They're some of my favorites.

As far as "normal" wads go, Armadosia and Reverie were pretty damn cool.

Crapi has so much going for it, but it's so glitchy and the fact that it doesn't remember your progress if you return to a previous map makes the non-linear map system a lot less fun. Its also really easy to get stuck for hours, especially since no one's made a proper walkthrough of it yet.

23 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

At this point we should just have the top 100 wads of all time be pinned on doom general so for anyone coming over to ask they should look at the list.

1 hour ago, VoanHead said:

At this point we should just have the top 100 wads of all time be pinned on doom general so for anyone coming over to ask they should look at the list.

It's just getting tired seeing the same topic all over and over and over. Doom isn't only WADs, it also has more content

Memento Mori II

Epic 2

Evitenity

Ancient aliens

180 Minutes Por Vivre

Eternal Doom

Doom 2 Way Id Did

Sunder

Valiant

Vanguard

Back To Saturn X.

There's probably lots more, but those are what I have any familiarity with.

3 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

It's just getting tired seeing the same topic all over and over and over. Doom isn't only WADs, it also has more content

I feel you. Sometimes people may come over asking for specific wads that aren’t really the “best” sometimes, like asking for any coffee break wads, wads that’ll go best with a mod in question, etc. It’s like groundhog day here sometimes lol.

As for my recommendations for the OP here:

Ancient Aliens

Any of the Doomer Boards Projects

Mutiny

Oops, All Techbase!

Bourgeois Deathmatch

Going Down

If you do some of your own digging @xdude_gamer you’ll be able to find some more towards your liking. 

On 9/3/2021 at 12:07 AM, VoanHead said:

I feel you. Sometimes people may come over asking for specific wads that aren’t really the “best” sometimes, like asking for any coffee break wads, wads that’ll go best with a mod in question, etc. It’s like groundhog day here sometimes lol. 

Since you said mod, why people there only talk about best WADs but not best Mods? Mods are as good as WADs

On 9/2/2021 at 5:15 PM, VoanHead said:

Pinning m8f's thread would make more sense. Much of the top 100 has lost its former relevance post 2015.

1 minute ago, Teo Slayer said:

Since you said mod, why people there only talk about best WADs but not best Mods? Mods are as good as WADs

The best WADs usually come with a .deh or a .pk3 file perhaps to add textures and stuff, for example "lillith.pk3"

Just now, xdude_gamer said:

The best WADs usually come with a .deh or a .pk3 file perhaps to add textures and stuff, for example "lillith.pk3"

Isn't lillith.pk3 the pk3 which broke GZDoom?

2 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

Well, it's meant to be a glitch pack file. It won a Cacoaward and pissed off the maker of the source port.

8 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

People talk about other things too. It just so happens that Doomworld isn't focused on them.

5 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

No. It simply exploits bugs of a certain version of ZDoom, and therefore doesn't work on more recent versions.

2 minutes ago, m8f said:

People talk about other things too. It just so happens that Doomworld isn't focused on them.

Damn, those are some great mods tho. We should give them some attention as well, Megawads are kinda overrated

Just now, Teo Slayer said:

Damn, those are some great mods tho. We should give them some attention as well, Megawads are kinda overrated

It all depends to me.

22 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

What? Are you going to try to give love to Mods?

Well no, but Smooth Doom and Brutal Doom are cool.