• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

The DWIronman League dies to: The Eye

September 2021

kecm5l9.png

Leaderboard

1. SURVIVED [31:38] galileo31dos01 - the final vile wave is no match for an invulnerable galileo.
  2. SURVIVED [33:11] Bdubzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - who needs ammo anyway?
  3. SURVIVED [38:32] an_mutt - not gonna lie, dying to that Cyberdemon on the volley would have been glorious in itself.
  4. SURVIVED [45:11] Suitepee - slow and steady wins the race... or at least guarantees a high finishing position.
  5. 96% marver0PS - unsighted and instantly blown into oblivion by an overeager Archvile.

6. 95% Anima Zero - unsighted and instantly blown into oblivion by that same overeager Archvile.
  7. 63% sapphics - ruined by a kamikaze pinkie.
  8. 39% BiZ - an unfortunate victim of collateral Cyberdemon damage.
  9. 34% Xenaero - demon teamwork makes the nightmare work.
  10. 31% dt_ - death by Revenant jumpscare.
  11. 30% NoisyVelvet - became one with the bloody pools of flesh.

12. 29% El Inferno - valiantly tried the closer quarter rocket strategy but it just wasn't to be.

13. 26% Vince Vega - eating too many rockets is bad for your health.

14. 24% Beginner - dropping down into the unwelcoming arms of a group of nobles never works out.

15. 23% Maribo - was about to be surrounded and mauled, but a Revenant makes sure it doesn't come to that.

16. 21% Fiendish - Revenant homing missiles, is there anything they can't do?!

17. 20% Dunn (& Dunn) - having your personal space invaded by a Cyberdemon usually has only one conclusion.

18. 18% Austinado - savaged by the mob and finished off by a stray rocket looking for a good home.

19. 18% Soul_Runner - ah, it just wouldn't be ironman would a display of Good at Doom™.

20. 15% Crusader No Regret - oh, no. Died about a minute before the actual death occured.

21. 11% Major Arlene - became the filling in a Cacodemon sandwich.
  22. 10% Lol 6 - beaten to within an inch of death, then killed.

23. 9% DisgruntledPorcupine - out of the frying pan, into the fire.

24. 9% Tezur0 - made the peek at the wrong split second and felt the heat.

25. 9% head_cannon - cornered by a pair of angry skeletons.

26. 6% Pegleg - couldn't get outta dodge quite quickly enough.

27. 3% Pseudonaut - boxed in and boned to death in the corner.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In 2012 mouldy burst onto the scene with The Eye, immediately grabbing a Cacoward and showcasing his signature detailing and texture work allied with chaotic combat elements.

Monster kills will act as tiebreaker for players who die. Keep in mind that because of the different ways in which source ports handle in-game monster counts, any lost souls or resurrected monsters that increase the base number will have to be deducted from that total along with the kill count. It's not perfect, but assuming you kill whatever's been ressed/spat out you'll be on par with the prboom runners.

Essential Info:

Doom 2: Hell on Earth as the iwad (doom2.wad)

Compatibility level 9 for PrBoom+, or "Boom(strict)" for GZDoom.

Time estimate: 1 hour

Number of maps: 1

Deadline: September 30th 2021

Download The Eye

prboom-plus -file eye -complevel 9 -skill 4 -record my_demo

Rules:

Hide contents

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:
    • To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.
    • To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.
  • UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Hide contents

• 01 - Sawdust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: an_mutt)
  • 02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist)
  • 03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)
  • 04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)
  • 05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)
  • 06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)
  • 07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550)
  • 08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner)

Edited by Scotty

512/540 kills.  Was in what I'd presume was the final room nearing the top when the map decided to pull a Dark Souls-esque random ass vile warping in behind me who attacked immediately and without enough time for me to switch back to my BFG, securing my ticket on a luxurious ride aboard Arch-Vile Airlines. Capital!

Rather fun map in all honesty.

DWIronman_Eye_AnimaZero.zip

Category 2

Exit at 31:51

528/540 kills

DSDA-Doom 0.20.0, cl-9

I had played this map without saves a year ago so I had quite a lot of recollection of the stuff going on, yet because iron-etc the nerves manifested themselves about midway through, and on top of that the lag towards the ending was horrible (just as I remembered) and so I left some things alive because it would have been a bummer to die there. 

eyeIMbygal.zip

Category 1 survived in 33:11.

Spoiler

Overall the map was decent but quite a few annoying sniper monsters and dealing with that one cyber became a real slow boring issue ( or risk dying was the other option) 

DWIronman-eye-bdubzzz.zip

Played in DSDA-Doom v0.19.7

Category 1

107 / 540 kills

7 mins, 49 secs

Pretty fun for what I played. The first cyber encounter came out of nowhere, though. This'll definitely be worth a playthrough with saves. haha

ironman-eye-dunn.zip

Edited by Dunn (& Dunn) : video

If you feel good about the run, a facerocket always helps. Or two (coincident vibes lol).

141 pairs of undead eyes of 540, 12:14. PrB+ 2.6.1 -complevel 9.

Category I, never heard of The Eye (a Revenant proved me I was wrong lol).

I've missed you so much my unholy iron brothers. I won't miss a single Ironman anymore I promise :S

dwieye.zip

Here is my Category 1 run.

dwi_pegleg_eye_cat1.zip

Kills: 33/540

Time of death: 2:20

Recorded in: PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

In another showing of great situational awareness, I failed to notice the imp behind me while concentrating on the revenant in front of me. And this ended predictably. I had at one time considered The Eye for one of the IronEagle selections, but I had never played it. I don't think I even got as far as downloading the file. I did look at the wiki page for it, but beyond seeing that Mouldy had implemented difficulty levels, I didn't really know anything about the map (and it shows). If you want to declare this a Category 2 run for that, so be it.

The Eye seems like it could be a fun map, with large quantities of enemies, but a decent amount of space to fight them. Overall, what I saw of the map has a nice marble and blood aesthetic. The music has a nice forbidding quality to it, particularly in the beginning. I may tackle this again later this month.

Here's my run, quite shitty I know, but that's the best I can do when blind ;)

ironmanlol6[1].zip

Details: 

Spoiler

Died with 53/540 killed

Category: 1 [1]

Time of the run: 3:55.11 min

Port: dsda-doom v.0.21.3

eye_dwi_dispor.zip

Category 1, dead with 49/540 kills

Spoiler

Despite Going Down being one of my top 2 favourite wads, this is my first time playing any of Mouldy's other work. Can't say I'm thrilled with my attempt, and it didn't last long enough for me to have much of an impression of the map, but seemed nice so far.

First time trying one of these. Very cool map from what I saw! Made some bad decisions, but eventually succumbed to a revenant, who secured revenge with a projectile that whipped around and got me in the back.

Category 1

Time of death: 13:02

Enemies killed: 133

Recorded in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

Fiendish-TheEye.zip

https://youtu.be/c4VjL3iz0DA

Category 3 (did some practice runs the day before).

Survived in 45:22. (98% kills)

This was not a good run. At all. I made several horrible mistakes in terms of ammo conversation (despite practicing the map a little bit), yet managed to get myself over the line somehow. I'm pretty sure a better run could have clocked in for me at about 40 minutes, but nevertheless it means that @an_mutt will have to be faster than me to claim the Unclebowl point this month.

Considering he is 5-3 up, I sincerely hope that Archvile dickery at the end gets him good, as it nearly did me if not for a timely suggestion by @Nirvana.

As a fun aside, here's what the mapper behind 'The Eye' had to say about his own creation being chosen for this month's Ironman League. :)

Category 1, 51 kills, died at 2:05, played on dsda-doom 0.14 cl9

(I stood for few seconds at start, was waiting for obs to capture, but didn't upload video given how this went)

Spoiler

if not for that zap, I think I would've been fine, but that's too many hitscans sniping you at the start for my liking

tez_eye_ironman.zip

cat 1 

dead with 335/540 kills  on dsda 19.7 , forgot the time.

i had to pee and played dumb and haven't doomed since the first week of the month. gimme a break :P

sappDWItheeye.zip

Ironman_TheEye_hc.zip

Category 1, Dead with 51 kills.

Spoiler

I went left from the start, woke up the demons in the building, and then ran back outside. To my dismay, I discovered that an Arch-Vile now lived in the previous zone, and there was no retreat. With the entrance stairs clogged by the horde and nowhere to go, I was quickly overwhelmed.

I spent some time examining the map with saves after the obligatory sacrifice of a marine - it's cool how there's a build order to experiment with based on where you go and which order you tackle the zones in. I still haven't completed the entire three-key circuit (I keep running out of ammo and having to start over), but it was fun to explore all the possibilities despite the frustrations.

ironman_eye_Shepardus.zip

Category 2, died with 48 kills in 1:32. Recorded with dsda-doom 0.21.3.

I've hardly had the chance to play any Doom this month so I'm really rusty. That said, even if I weren't rusty I don't expect I would have done much better than this; I've played this before on lower skill levels but never made much progress in UV.

My run.

Spoiler

Completed in 38:32 LET'S FUCKING GOOO. The final few minutes were an absolute comedy of nonsense, starting at 37:30 in the VOD and was an example of me: almost getting owned by a Cyberdemon I thought I had thrown to the bottom of the tower; literally forgetting where the WASD keys were on my keyboard; and almost eating a vile blast but killing him right before his blast would have done me in. There were also a couple other close calls in this run too, it was very entertaining. I hadn't played this map before until this week, when I did a couple quick attempts to practice (resulting in early deaths) - I watched Suitepee's run on the bus this morning and finally did a quick completion of it this afternoon in preparation, so Cat 3 for me. 6-3 in the Britbowl, and one hand is already on the silverware.