Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[NOW AVAILABLE] The Ultimate TWANGO - A Deathmatch MegaWAD for The Ultimate Doom

2 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Hey @Jark @Blast_Brothers how are you guys coming along with your maps?

Funny you should ask.

E2M7: Hall's Halls

2.png.9329c3d3b32d58fd76cb266e8667fb5a.png 3.png.6b9da0a2b790a91eacfff7442d49c88c.png

1.png.9ff2648b117dcf0a6f07698259c663f3.png 4.png.72bf973b908a3b12551555e468b1ba28.png

e2m7.png.69f6f2d827bcccabbf38bb8c9184126f.png

My biggest concern with this map was that it wouldn't feel like it was in the spirit of DWANGO visually due to the new textures- what do you think?

TWANGO E2M7 V1.zip

Edited by Blast_Brothers : Got rid of unused textures in WAD file

Hey all, here's my E4M6. It's pretty simplistic, so if you want to reject it, that's okay. I know I should have more confidence, but I'm running a fever and for some reason DOOM.EXE won't let me warp to it.

Same with Chocolate Doom, so I don't know what the issue is. Feel free to test it. I really wanted to get a nicer looking level, but visplane overflows were kicking my butt last time I tried to edit it.

TWANGOE4M6 - Copy.zip

I hope it's okay. If not, I'm still very proud of me E1M1. This level's name is Cursed Twilight.

6 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Hey all, here's my E4M6. It's pretty simplistic, so if you want to reject it, that's okay. I know I should have more confidence, but I'm running a fever and for some reason DOOM.EXE won't let me warp to it.

Same with Chocolate Doom, so I don't know what the issue is. Feel free to test it. I really wanted to get a nicer looking level, but visplane overflows were kicking my butt last time I tried to edit it.

I was able to start it in choco, is it because there are no deathmatch starts? Anyway yeah you still have mega visplanes, I remember looking at this before. If you want help I could try cleaning them up a bit...

49 minutes ago, Blast_Brothers said:

Funny you should ask.

E2M7: Hall's Halls

2.png.9329c3d3b32d58fd76cb266e8667fb5a.png 3.png.6b9da0a2b790a91eacfff7442d49c88c.png

1.png.9ff2648b117dcf0a6f07698259c663f3.png 4.png.72bf973b908a3b12551555e468b1ba28.png

e2m7.png.69f6f2d827bcccabbf38bb8c9184126f.png

My biggest concern with this map was that it wouldn't feel like it was in the spirit of DWANGO visually due to the new textures- what do you think?

TWANGO E2M7 V1.zip

Honestly, I'm really digging these textures, they look fantastic. This definitely falls into that "vanilla-plus" category I love so much in terms of textures. Well done.

2 hours ago, magicsofa said:

I was able to start it in choco, is it because there are no deathmatch starts? Anyway yeah you still have mega visplanes, I remember looking at this before. If you want help I could try cleaning them up a bit...

If you could, that would be great. Sorry for the inconvenience.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:32 PM, OpenRift said:

Hey @Jark @Blast_Brothers how are you guys coming along with your maps?

image.png.1dd791294b13033d06a13b5ec1343bb2.png

Ticking along, I do have quite a few other priorities so I wish to get this out sooner rather than later - Lets see... I think by the weekend I should have some playable?

Need to sort out finishing the layout, but I've got down my secondary texture set to differentiate areas.  

On 11/23/2021 at 7:40 PM, Dusty_Rhodes said:

If you could, that would be great. Sorry for the inconvenience.

No worries, I volunteered because I have a strange affection for vanilla limitations and the puzzles that can arise from trying to maintain the essence of a map while paring things down. Also, sometimes it's nice to just do a small amount of work on an existing map, keeps the muscles going with less to think about overall.

Anyway, I made a lot of changes, including ones that weren't related to overflows, and so if you disagree with anything I did then of course they can be easily reversed:

• Spoiler

• Visplanes were overflowing pretty badly on the platform with BROWNWEL (excellent choice btw). In order to cut it down I merged all of the 8-unit stairs into 16- or 24-unit stairs. I made a few other adjustments like making the northwestern torch lighting more convex. This strategy got me much closer to the limit, but in order to avoid sacrificing any more sector detail I decided to push out one of the marble walls:
      marble.png.05b6068d6d11a93a6304eeeb4bb55559.png
    • I made most of the possible snags flush with the walls instead. Snags are features that "jut out" into the path of movement, such as an archway in a hall. These can be really annoying, especially in DM, if it's too easy to get caught on them during intense fights. 
    • aligned a bunch of textures and changed a couple as well, usually to match an adjacent surface. I noticed a lot of things aligned at -3 or some other non-multiple of 8. In DB it could be because of the option "auto-align textures of newly created linedefs" which I always have off (in preferences > editing)
    • I also deleted a bunch of sectors which were actually solid walls. Even though it "works," it's not really good practice to make walls using 0-height sectors, unless you actually need it. They can be buggy and plus they are harder to differentiate from other two-sided lines. To make pillars and such, you can draw the shape you want and then delete the sector it made, giving you the "negative" space if you will.
    • I also merged redundant sectors, as in sectors next to each other with the same properties. 

TWANGOE4M6.zip

Quick question, 

Optimized for both deathmatch 1 and deathmatch 2 modes using the following guidelines:

• skill 1-2: ammo pickups, no cell weapons
  • skill 3: deathmatch 1 (a.k.a. old deathmatch), cell weapons allowed, no ammo pickups
  • skill 4: altdeath, cell weapons allowed, ammo pickups

Does 'ammo pickups' include health/powerups (e.g. soulsphere not invuln)?

16 hours ago, magicsofa said:

No worries, I volunteered because I have a strange affection for vanilla limitations and the puzzles that can arise from trying to maintain the essence of a map while paring things down. Also, sometimes it's nice to just do a small amount of work on an existing map, keeps the muscles going with less to think about overall.

Anyway, I made a lot of changes, including ones that weren't related to overflows, and so if you disagree with anything I did then of course they can be easily reversed:

•   Reveal hidden contents

• Visplanes were overflowing pretty badly on the platform with BROWNWEL (excellent choice btw). In order to cut it down I merged all of the 8-unit stairs into 16- or 24-unit stairs. I made a few other adjustments like making the northwestern torch lighting more convex. This strategy got me much closer to the limit, but in order to avoid sacrificing any more sector detail I decided to push out one of the marble walls:
    • I made most of the possible snags flush with the walls instead. Snags are features that "jut out" into the path of movement, such as an archway in a hall. These can be really annoying, especially in DM, if it's too easy to get caught on them during intense fights. 
    • aligned a bunch of textures and changed a couple as well, usually to match an adjacent surface. I noticed a lot of things aligned at -3 or some other non-multiple of 8. In DB it could be because of the option "auto-align textures of newly created linedefs" which I always have off (in preferences > editing)
    • I also deleted a bunch of sectors which were actually solid walls. Even though it "works," it's not really good practice to make walls using 0-height sectors, unless you actually need it. They can be buggy and plus they are harder to differentiate from other two-sided lines. To make pillars and such, you can draw the shape you want and then delete the sector it made, giving you the "negative" space if you will.
    • I also merged redundant sectors, as in sectors next to each other with the same properties. 

TWANGOE4M6.zip

Thank you so much. It was late and I was not in the best creative mind set. It had been a while since I opened up the map at all, so if there's weird inconsistencies with texturing and annoying this that jut out, I blame that.

I'll be glad to check this out and run it in DOOM.EXE. Thanks for all the help.

52 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

When all the maps are made and finished and uploaded, are you going to upload the compiled WAD onto the thread?

It's better to make a release thread and I assume that's what he'll do. This thread is really long, so it's better to make a new one for discussion, bug reports, etc.

Map Name: Chisel

Author: Jark

Music: "Fallen Enemies" by Immorpher

Slot: E3M7

Graphics: Includes a Twango texture

Description: My first Deathmatch map, which is relatively large and has a few moving parts but I hope not too big. Looking for constructive criticism and feedback.

Vanilla compatible: Yes

Download: Chisel009.zip (Iteration 9)

Automap:

Spoiler

image.png.f3c38cb126de748f2f1ce705064a0f5b.png

4 hours ago, xdude_gamer said:

When all the maps are made and finished and uploaded, are you going to upload the compiled WAD onto the thread?

I'll be uploading a Beta version so everyone can test and give feedback. After it's completely finished, I think I'll be making a new thread for the full release.

1 hour ago, Jark said:

Map Name: Chisel

Author: Jark

Music: "Fallen Enemies" by Immorpher

Slot: E3M7

Graphics: Includes a Twango texture

Description: My first Deathmatch map, which is relatively large and has a few moving parts but I hope not too big. Looking for constructive criticism and feedback.

Vanilla compatible: Yes

Download: Chisel009.zip (Iteration 9)

Automap:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.f3c38cb126de748f2f1ce705064a0f5b.png

Just thought I'd point out this little bug I noticed here. You may want to adjust this.

DOOM03.png.fccbacba934dd3ddb33eccd9bddd8a85.png

As for the rest of the map, I like it. It flows really well. Though I'll say that there should probably be more health and ammo pickups on the appropriate difficulties.

32 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Just thought I'd point out this little bug I noticed here. You may want to adjust this.

DOOM03.png.fccbacba934dd3ddb33eccd9bddd8a85.png

As for the rest of the map, I like it. It flows really well. Though I'll say that there should probably be more health and ammo pickups on the appropriate difficulties.

Thanks for taking a look, ah bugger - I had the lighting lowered on the front to avoid this but readjusted it as it was too dark and must have forgotten. I didn't put any health as I did not get an answer to whether health classified under 'ammo pickups' in the OP. As for ammo it seems to multiply in deathmatch and I wanted to guide players around the map by placing certain ammunition in certain places - was there a particular ammo type that was lacking? Or is it that they would be quickly gobbled up by players? (In my Zandronum 8 player bot tests they never usually went for the ammo paths so I'm uncertain).

1 hour ago, Jark said:

I didn't put any health as I did not get an answer to whether health classified under 'ammo pickups' in the OP.

Sorry, I must've missed that. That goes on all difficulties, I forgot. 

1 hour ago, Jark said:

As for ammo it seems to multiply in deathmatch and I wanted to guide players around the map by placing certain ammunition in certain places - was there a particular ammo type that was lacking? Or is it that they would be quickly gobbled up by players? (In my Zandronum 8 player bot tests they never usually went for the ammo paths so I'm uncertain).

I think perhaps more strings of ammo (lines of clips, shells, rockets, etc.) in long stretches. I think upon further inspection, the map might be fine as-is. Just needs some health pickups.

On 11/24/2021 at 9:43 PM, magicsofa said:

•   Reveal hidden contents

TWANGOE4M6.zip

Now this, this is impressive work, very well done. Way better than my attempt. Do you and @Dusty_Rhodes mind if I throw in some more items and DM spawns?

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

Now this, this is impressive work, very well done. Way better than my attempt. Do you and @Dusty_Rhodes mind if I throw in some more items and DM spawns?

I don't at all. Oh and make sure to give @magicsofa co - author credits.

In other news, we are opening up E1M8 and E2M3! If anyone's interested in taking it, feel free!

I'm just getting into making DeathMatch maps and loving it so I'll have a go with E1M8. How much time do we have to make one?

6 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

I'm just getting into making DeathMatch maps and loving it so I'll have a go with E1M8. How much time do we have to make one?

I'd prefer within the next week or two, I'm hoping to have the megawad it done by Christmas.

46 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

@Jark any updates on your map? Just wanna get any last updates in before we do our beta testing.

Indeed, I was waiting to see if there was further testing before applying changes - However, in this version I have added Health and more ammo, might have too much health, difficult to say.

Download: Chisel010.zip

4 minutes ago, Jark said:

Indeed, I was waiting to see if there was further testing before applying changes - However, in this version I have added Health and more ammo, might have too much health, difficult to say.

Download: Chisel010.zip

Should be fine for now, we'll let you know after our beta playtest.

Keep the E2M3 slot open for someone else just in case! But I'm going to try to have something before the deadline.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Keep the E2M3 slot open for someone else just in case! But I'm going to try to have something before the deadline.

Thanks.

Well here it is so far.. E2M3DM_12_7_21.zip .. it hasn't a name yet.

e2m3_shot1.png.c9b1c6d4e488cde31376ef7f8cbdc311.png

And yes, it is suppose to look like the original, for the most part.. 

e2m3_shot2.png.c0c61cbade0d9434ab9b785a600b9f57.png

Other than the exit area.

The exit room is currently the last thing I've added. Eventually it will resemble @MAN_WITH_GUN's E2M4 texture theme, to help with continuity, but right now there's not a lot done to it.

The map is purely from scratch though.. aside from looking at screenshots. ;) said area's are no perfect replica and it never will be.

This map is in early development, with in the past 5 hours at least.. I'm not a super fast mapper lol

View the readme for more info.

You will see where I have it intentionally blocked off as I didn't want the map to be any larger than that, so it will flow decently.

Surprisingly it plays pretty well with bots! 

~ I plan to add a couple places yet that looks like you've gone back to the map after defeating the horde years ago, small tunnels walls broken out etc, but nothing too over the top. So some places will purposely look a little different and some places look, well.. almost the same. 

Maybe the map could be called Deja Vu, but not sure yet.

Let me know what you think so far. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket