Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[NOW AVAILABLE] The Ultimate TWANGO - A Deathmatch MegaWAD for The Ultimate Doom

A betatest Friday at 7PM? Ah man, I'm looking forward to this! Also that CREDIT lump looks sick as ever! Definitely in support for the greenery you've got!

Hey, for my map e2m6 - O'DAMN, could you put a different midi in?

I never got into Manson too much. 

Give me some more Metallica or Megadeth, Dio, Pantera, or even Ozzy? anything but Manson lol.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Give me some more Metallica or Megadeth, Dio, Pantera, or even Ozzy? anything but Manson lol.

Thanks

It's not Manson, it's the Eurythmics!

But I agree, this version is kinda lackluster, it's also on one of my maps (E4M7).

maybe switch it to this? 

Diamond Head - The Prince___WWW.MIDISFREE.COM.mid.zip

Edited by Pistoolkip

17 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Also, I was curious, is there like a template for like, help screens with keybinds and stuff? I wanna still have the help screen for the sake of completeness but I'd like to put the TWANGO logo in the background.

Myself and 99% of other wadders out there who bother with Titlepic and Credit images just use it as a duplicate of the Credit pic, which is usually more useful information to the player anyway, since anyone who is playing wads knows how to move the doomguy around lol. 

That other 1% consists of a couple rare instances where I saw it used as a place to read the storyline, used for some kind of joke image, or just being a simple recolour of the stock Help lump. I think any of those options would be fine for a DM wad, where such a tiny fraction of players will even press F1. That’s why I never give it a unique image in my wads, too much effort for something no one will ever see!

34 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

It's not Manson, it's the Eurythmics!

Yeah I donno, if it were the Eurythmics, we'd hear the really cool Thomas Dolby like synth keys at the beginning.

Manson did a cover of it though, which doesn't do it for me heh.

On the side of HELP screen, In mega4 I just put an additional sort of intermission screen for it, mega5 didn't have one.

Although when I compiled mega5 I put a LOSERPIC and WINERPIC, which should show up for Zandro, and shouldn't bother anything vanilla. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

16 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Yeah I donno, if it were the Eurythmics, we'd hear the really cool Thomas Dolby like synth keys at the beginning.

Manson did a cover of it though, which doesn't do it for me heh.

On the side of HELP screen, In mega4 I just put an additional sort of intermission screen for it, mega5 didn't have one.

Although when I compiled mega5 I put a LOSERPIC and WINERPIC, which should show up for Zandro, and shouldn't bother anything vanilla. 

True

maybe it's the manson version

Doesn't matter, we both agree it sucks

1 hour ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Thanks

Bro I gave you Metallica on E2M3!! I think I do have another idea though, in the spirit of both Megadeth and Bobby Prince ;)

53 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Bro I gave you Metallica on E2M3!!

Oh, I'm totally good with the music for my E2M3 map! But yeah, the midi for my E2M6 map, just didn't do it for me.

53 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I think I do have another idea though, in the spirit of both Megadeth and Bobby Prince ;)

Sweet! ;)

39 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Myself and 99% of other wadders out there who bother with Titlepic and Credit images just use it as a duplicate of the Credit pic, which is usually more useful information to the player anyway, since anyone who is playing wads knows how to move the doomguy around lol. 

That other 1% consists of a couple rare instances where I saw it used as a place to read the storyline, used for some kind of joke image, or just being a simple recolour of the stock Help lump. I think any of those options would be fine for a DM wad, where such a tiny fraction of players will even press F1. That’s why I never give it a unique image in my wads, too much effort for something no one will ever see!

Yeah, that does make more sense. It's more beneficial to just copy the credits lump to the HELP1 screen.

Here's a recording from a playtest session we played this night. 720p should become available soon (hopefully). Sorry for small text. Couldn't find the scaling options in time. Map order is a little different, but each map should be played somewhere here. Imho, most of the maps feel better to play than I initially thought. I still think that they have problems, but if the wad shipped like this, I guess I'd have no issues with that. Apart from fixing HOMs and void entrances. Those should be fixed asap. I also think that my map needs a massive overhaul of item placement, which I will do soon.

1 hour ago, Pistoolkip said:

Any changes you would like to see to specific maps?

Me and others commented on the maps as we played them. I recommend checking the chat from your map, if its readable in this video quality 

Edited by NieMaMordy

58 minutes ago, NieMaMordy said:

Me and others commented on the maps as we played them. I recommend checking the chat from your map, if its readable in this video quality 

Yeah it's barely readable.

On E4M3, you said something about the spawn closets being able to be closed? 

Also, I barely saw any plasma (and no BFG) used on that map. Were these too hard/unintuitive to get, or not very useful compared to the RL and CG?

Updates to Disrupted Original and Unto the Grave thanks to video - added or moved weapons closer to spawns while one plasma rifle were moved onto raised platforms and other plasma rifles were removed: DISRUPTED-V4.ZIP  GRAVE-V3.ZIP

1 hour ago, Pistoolkip said:

On E4M3, you said something about the spawn closets being able to be closed? 

Also, I barely saw any plasma (and no BFG) used on that map. Were these too hard/unintuitive to get, or not very useful compared to the RL and CG?

Usually, when I spawn, I tend to spam the space button. That's why I open and then instantly close the closet. Not sure if anything can be done here though.

As for plasma and bfg, I think its a good thing that they are not used too often on your maps. Some good maps were kinda broken because of plasma spam, and no ssg to counter it.

Edited by NieMaMordy

Hey, i know it has been a while, but i had to send my computer for repairs, in any case i am back, and i see great progress has been done to the wad!

@OpenRift E3M1 (Bloodhenge), E3M7 (Chisel) and E4M9 (Terror) all have a typo in the automap name:
"E3M1 - e3m1:bloodhenge" is supposed to read like "E3M1 - Bloodhenge".
"E3M7 - e3m7:chisel" is supposed to read like "E3M7 - Chisel".

"E4M9 - e4m9:terror" is supposed to read like "E4M9 - Terror". You get the point.
===
E3M2 in the automap is read "Slough of DWANGO", but in it's WILVXX form it reads "Slough of TWANGO". Is this a design choice?

48 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I have no idea how that invisible wall is in E1M1. I'll fix right away. Aside from that, did you like the map?

It's fine, but I dislike the room with plasma, because floor height is confusing when it comes to what you can, and what you cannot walk on from the poison. I'd make the floors which you cannot walk on a bit higher, to make it more clear. I think the elevator next to the center of the map could be widened, or replaced with fast stairs. Apart from that, I think the map is ok

11 minutes ago, NieMaMordy said:

It's fine, but I dislike the room with plasma, because floor height is confusing when it comes to what you can, and what you cannot walk on from the poison. I'd make the floors which you cannot walk on a bit higher, to make it more clear. I think the elevator next to the center of the map could be widened, or replaced with fast stairs. Apart from that, I think the map is ok

I think I'll widen it. I'm riding pretty close along the line of a visplane overflow. And I might actually lower the plasma room platforms. That way you can go on them from any angle.

1 minute ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I think I'll widen it. I'm riding pretty close along the line of a visplane overflow. And I might actually lower the plasma room platforms. That way you can go on them from any angle.

Fine by me. That will improve the flow a lot.

9 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

Here's a recording from a playtest session we played this night. 720p should become available soon (hopefully). Sorry for small text. Couldn't find the scaling options in time. Map order is a little different, but each map should be played somewhere here. Imho, most of the maps feel better to play than I initially thought. I still think that they have problems, but if the wad shipped like this, I guess I'd have no issues with that. Apart from fixing HOMs and void entrances. Those should be fixed asap. I also think that my map needs a massive overhaul of item placement, which I will do soon.

Thanks for the video. I really wanted to join the test, but my ISP decided to block TSPG for some reason? Something I need to look into on my end. Anyway, I can just barely read the feedback in the chat, so I'll start work on adjustments.

Ah I missed the test run.. :(

I have good reason though, I came down with something, so I've been about 90% sleeping.

Just got back from getting meds, hopefully they'll kick its ass.

I saw the video, very cool!

Do you guys think my maps played ok?

Thanks

34 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Ah I missed the test run.. :(

I have good reason though, I came down with something, so I've been about 90% sleeping.

Just got back from getting meds, hopefully they'll kick its ass.

I saw the video, very cool!

Do you guys think my maps played ok?

Thanks

I personally dislike your maps, but when we played them, I think they played much better than I thought they would. One thing I'd fix, is to remove the non-playable areas from automap, so it does not cause confusion among secret seekers

57 minutes ago, NieMaMordy said:

I personally dislike your maps

Oh, that's ok, I don't like your map either lol..

God.. at least you finally got it out of the several VPO's you were dealing with. ~ how do you manage to get VPO's out of a map that looks like a box anyway? I just figured it was the first map you've ever made. 

One thing I'd fix, is to remove the non-playable areas from automap, so it does not cause confusion among secret seekers

Oh you're suggesting more about my maps? I don't think so.. In fact, I think I'll probably just turn the moving floors back on.

Btw, there is no non-playable areas, I'd like to know what you're talking about.

Cheers 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

On 1/15/2022 at 7:59 AM, Hitboi said:

@OpenRift E3M1 (Bloodhenge), E3M7 (Chisel) and E4M9 (Terror) all have a typo in the automap name:
 "E3M1 - e3m1:bloodhenge" is supposed to read like "E3M1 - Bloodhenge".
"E3M7 - e3m7:chisel" is supposed to read like "E3M7 - Chisel".

"E4M9 - e4m9:terror" is supposed to read like "E4M9 - Terror". You get the point.
===
E3M2 in the automap is read "Slough of DWANGO", but in it's WILVXX form it reads "Slough of TWANGO". Is this a design choice?

The first 3 things are more a DeHackEd limitation; had to fit within character limits for those text strings. The last thing there was a mistake.

18 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Oh, that's ok, I don't like your map either lol..

Oh yeah, he was like that the whole time during the playtest.

18 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Oh you're suggesting more about my maps? I don't think so.. In fact, I think I'll probably just turn the moving floors back on.

Btw, there is no non-playable areas, I'd like to know what you're talking about.

Don't get too salty about it.  As for the non-playable areas, I believe he was talking about the areas behind bars. Some players might think that there's a secret back there.