Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[NOW AVAILABLE] The Ultimate TWANGO - A Deathmatch MegaWAD for The Ultimate Doom

43 minutes ago, DJVCardMaster said:

This layout won't work, not talking about texturing, it could pass with some work, but rooms themselves are pretty strech, and added to that problem, crates are pretty joint together, creathing gaps that you'll have to constantly pass through, narrow as 64-map units. diagonal corridors connecting bigger areas have the same problem of being pretty narrow for it to be a fun deathmatch map. Rocket usage would be suicide in this map, also, one of the doors doesn't seem to work for me, I'm guessing it's the exit door.

So basically, remove some crates, fix some gaps and the exit door, and then maybe make a few layout changes?

I kinda adjusted some stuff. Lots more open now, crates deleted and moved around (the sub-area is unchanged) and the hallways are now just little areas in the corners. Move a few of the backpacks maybe and we have a good map. Probably the best map I ever made, I hope it'll fit.

Again....zip

Screenshot_Doom_20210918_165341.png

2 hours ago, SynDoom said:

I think I could take a spin at this. Mind if I take E2M5?

Sure, I'll add you.

Also @Chainie sorry for not acknowledging, your comment got buried in everyone else's. I added you as well. 

2 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Sure, I'll add you.

Also @Chainie sorry for not acknowledging, your comment got buried in everyone else's. I added you as well. 

Which levels have been currently turned in? I know that E1M1, E1M6, E2M9, E2M2, and a few E4 maps were turned in, but which ones have been definitively finished off?

Just now, xdude_gamer said:

Which levels have been currently turned in? I know that E1M1, E1M6, E2M9, E2M2, and a few E4 maps were turned in, but which ones have been definitely finished off?

Well none of them are finished-finished, once I have them all in a playable presentable state (near completion), I'm going to release a beta version for us to test and give feedback on. From there we can make changes and updates as needed. 

Just now, OpenRift said:

Well none of them are finished-finished, once I have them all in a playable presentable state (near completion), I'm going to release a beta version for us to test and give feedback on. From there we can make changes and updates as needed. 

Good plan!

Ok, so some news from me:

1.) I've largely changed my map. It's smaller & more connected but not with corridors this time. Need to change some things before I publish it. However, I have few questions:

- Do I put shotguns where the multiplayer spawns are? I've seen that in Doom 2 mp maps before.

- What's the max amount of mp players that should be put in the map?

2.) I've tested the map with bots (yes, finally I've downloaded doom mp stuff) & it's pretty good but I'm still not sure if I should even include cell weapons. Am I absolutely required to include powerful weapons?

4 minutes ago, The_SloVinator said:

1.) I've largely changed my map. It's smaller & more connected but not with corridors this time. Need to change some things before I publish it. However, I have few questions:

- Do I put shotguns where the multiplayer spawns are? I've seen that in Doom 2 mp maps before.

2.) I've tested the map with bots (yes, finally I've downloaded doom mp stuff) & it's pretty good but I'm still not sure if I should even include cell weapons. Am I absolutely required to include powerful weapons?

In regards to the cell weapons, I'd say test the map with the Plasma Gun & BFG alongside some bots.

I don't personally think they're required, but you should test it out to fine-tune the weapon balance, in case the weapons provided weren't enough, but it also comes down to how the map is designed, and if it's possible to maneuver the character in an open-enough space to avoid Plasma Gun & BFG shots.

Made a map for E4M8. Bit big (takes 25 seconds to circlestrafe :P) but I really like the castle-like look of it and the way it blends with the E4 sky. 

48TWANGO.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_144338.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_144343.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_144354.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_144408.png

You might want to add more variation to the textures. But the wood theme fits E4 pretty well.

1 minute ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

You might want to add more variation to the textures. But the wood theme fits E4 pretty well.

Yeah, I'm just kind of seeing if the layout is fine. When I get the "ok" I'll mess with the textures and add some marble.

1 minute ago, xdude_gamer said:

Yeah, I'm just kind of seeing if the layout is fine. When I get the "ok" I'll mess with the textures and add some marble.

I'm not in charge but the layout looks pretty fun. Could you upload a screenshot of it in Doom Builder?

Like the grid view, I'm really curious to see what it looks like.

No idea if that would that fun or not, but it's definitely interesting. I like it.

It's fun to kind of move around through I think. I mess with this design a lot in my spare time, so this new "River of Acheron" concept has a fun sort of look to it.

1 minute ago, xdude_gamer said:

It's fun to kind of move around through I think. I mess with this design a lot in my spare time, so this new "River of Acheron" concept has a fun sort of look to it.

Well fun to move around in is one of the most important parts of DM. So that's a great start.

Well fun to move around in is one of the most important parts of DM. So that's a great start.

Not only that, I kinda spaced it out so that it wouldn't feel too boxed in (like my E2M2 was/is) and then made it tall to relieve the claustrophobia of it all

Not only that, I kinda spaced it out so that it wouldn't feel too boxed in (like my E2M2 was/is) and then made it tall to relieve the claustrophobia of it all

Nice. It's also good to add height variation and lighting effects / contrast. I know this is just an early layout and not a finished map, so I'm not trying to be too hard on it.

Just now, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Nice. It's also good to add height variation and lighting effects / contrast. I know this is just an early layout and not a finished map, so I'm not trying to be too hard on it.

It's all good. I think the only con I can see right now is that it's a bit TOO big and open and the textures have little variety.

36 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

Retexturing is done. Simply awaiting approval at this point :D

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_152925.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_152937.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_152957.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_153005.png

That looks quite a bit better, try adding some things (pillars, lights, torches, etc.) and maybe some sector pillars (32x32 with SUPPORT3 textures). Also doing an over hang ceiling so the sky doesn't just cutoff at the top would be a good idea. Otherwise, this is coming together nicely. Also neat things to add would be scrolling walls with that face texture, sections with skin textures, etc. There's a relative few textures in Thy Flesh Consumed, but they can look really unique. Maybe add sections in the hallways with cages as the mid textures, that way players can shoot through it. Just spitballing. Overall this is solid.

58 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

Retexturing is done. Simply awaiting approval at this point :D

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_152925.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_152937.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_152957.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210919_153005.png

I personally feel like some more decorations and a more varied structure would be nice, just to avoid that "I'm stuck in a giant cube" feeling, and you should make sure there are some landmarks to distinguish the rooms from one another, seeing as the layout itself is pretty simple and symmetrical; with the rooms looking similar, it'd be hard to remember where that one weapon or armor pickup you need is located in the heat of the battle.

Overall, I dig the Thy Flesh Consumed aesthetic, and I can't wait to see more improvements.

Just now, TheBlurCafe said:

I personally feel like some more decorations and a more varied structure would be nice, just to avoid that "I'm stuck in a giant cube" feeling, and you should make sure there are some landmarks to distinguish the rooms from one another, seeing as the layout itself is pretty simple and symmetrical; with the rooms looking similar, it'd be hard to remember where that one weapon or armor pickup you need is located in the heat of the battle.

Overall, I dig the Thy Flesh Consumed aesthetic, and I can't wait to see more improvements.

Got some 5-head shish kebobs on the way. Adding a few support pillars and stuff!

10 hours ago, The_SloVinator said:

1. Yeah, I suggest putting shotguns on all the deathmatch spawns. I don't remember exactly what the limit for deathmatch spawns in vanilla is, but I'd say a maximum of 8.

2. You don't have to include cell weapons if you don't want. If it plays well without them, that's perfectly fine.

When a test session of the maps in DosBOX or Odamex? :(

Still here..

Here's a few early shots of E2M6:

mrE2M6_shot1_prep1.png.0ef9653c76ae3a81873c5a940134d1ac.png

mrE2M6_shot2_prep1.png.ecee6d53c10c24813359ce30d119422e.png

mrE2M6_shot3_prep1.png.653eb21502d07de043c2c4cc288b2443.png

mrE2M6_editor_shot1_prep1.png.db39705f09f6f238c3fa02c27b794ef1.png

I'm almost happy with the layout. ~ will be on to item placement and details soon.

I still have plenty of room for SEG's so thumbs up on that. ;)

Edited by Mr.Rocket

9 hours ago, toxic.rat said:

When a test session of the maps in DosBOX or Odamex? :(

Give us a second! We have 3 or 4 maps still unfinished for beta testing.