Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[NOW AVAILABLE] The Ultimate TWANGO - A Deathmatch MegaWAD for The Ultimate Doom

Terribly sorry for the delay everyone, just been feeling a bit burnt out on the project. Fortunately, I'm happy to announce that The Ultimate TWANGO is FINALLY FINISHED!! See the main post for a download!!

I do plan to upload it to /idgames next, but in the meantime this will be the main place to grab it!

36 minutes ago, Blast_Brothers said:

Not to burst your bubble... but it looks like my E2M7 isn't the latest version.

Blast_Brothers TWANGO E2M7.zip

Shit, let me go fix that.

EDIT: Fixed! 

Edited by OpenRift

I have a quick question: is this version using the default DOOM skys?

I designed E1M8 with a night sky but the map looks really dark against the bright mountains. Should I up the brightness?

P.S. Thank you for the opportunity for making DM maps!

Edited by Scorpius

Good job getting it to the finish line! Lots of neat Doom 1 DM maps here.

This project was a great opportunity for me to try out at DM mapping & I'm glad I did because I learned a lot more about mapping, especially after joining the Gothic21 DM project with UDMF stuff.

Thank you so much & congrats!

50 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

I have a quick question: is this version using the default DOOM skys?

I designed E1M8 with a night sky but the map looks really dark against the bright mountains. Should I up the brightness?

I think it's fine as-is. I like to think of it as being covered in some kind of soot or something, adding to the industrial feel ;)

Overall really pleased with how this project turned out. Only a few things I noticed, mostly music related:

•  The MIDIs have wildly inconsistent volumes, is it worth getting that fixed? 4 or 5 are basically inaudible due to being quiet as a whisper when using E1M1's track as a basis for volume.
  •  Two Metallica MIDIs are used in particular that are kind of squeaky, quiet, and annoying. I've done souped-up versions of both that simply sound better, would it be worth it to include those?
  •  My map (E1M2) has an extremely dumb and pointless invisibility sphere, no idea why I added that. Should we get rid of it?
  •  E3M8 is pretty much just a write-off lol. Too late in the project to address this I know, and I also realize it's a Dis homage, but I picture it being skipped every time.

All in all, these are minor issues and the final product does feel really good on the whole. Looking forward to having some frags here and glad to see a 1.0 release before the end of the year!

14 hours ago, Doomkid said:

My map (E1M2) has an extremely dumb and pointless invisibility sphere, no idea why I added that. Should we get rid of it?

Worth keeping for the lolz.

Jokes aside, a bad midi can get really annoying. Obviously, it's up to my boy Rift, but I'm in agreement about the Metallica midis.

15 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Overall really pleased with how this project turned out. Only a few things I noticed, mostly music related:

•  The MIDIs have wildly inconsistent volumes, is it worth getting that fixed? 4 or 5 are basically inaudible due to being quiet as a whisper when using E1M1's track as a basis for volume.
  •  Two Metallica MIDIs are used in particular that are kind of squeaky, quiet, and annoying. I've done souped-up versions of both that simply sound better, would it be worth it to include those?
  •  My map (E1M2) has an extremely dumb and pointless invisibility sphere, no idea why I added that. Should we get rid of it?
  •  E3M8 is pretty much just a write-off lol. Too late in the project to address this I know, and I also realize it's a Dis homage, but I picture it being skipped every time.

All in all, these are minor issues and the final product does feel really good on the whole. Looking forward to having some frags here and glad to see a 1.0 release before the end of the year!

• I've tested the MIDIs myself and honestly I can't really say I noticed much of a difference in MIDI volume between tracks. Maybe it's your MIDI configuration? I dunno. 
  • I think the seemingly grating Metallica MIDI's might be because I swapped out the lyrics channel's instrument with Lead 8 (bass+lead), which for me sounded fine on my SC-55, but I guess it might be worth revising them for more versatility across MIDI setups. You can send me your versions and I'll look into swapping them out.
  • The invis on E1M2 is dumb and pointless, but honestly it's kind of a silly gimmick that you don't see much in deathmatch, so it's kinda fun to troll people a little bit. At least it's not an invul, because that would just be a waste of everyone's time lmao
  • Yeah, E3M8 is pretty much a troll map. We kind of had that with MAP31 in TWANGO1, so I see it as following the tradition of having that one map that's there just to fuck with critics ;)

11 hours ago, OpenRift said:

I've tested the MIDIs myself and honestly I can't really say I noticed much of a difference in MIDI volume between tracks. Maybe it's your MIDI configuration? I dunno. 

Nope. The waveforms don't lie, there's a gigantic discrepancy between the louder tracks and the quieter ones. It's not whether or not the problem exists, it's more about whether or not it's worth fixing. Both of these are fast, energetic tracks but the volume difference is clear:

wavs.png

It's fairly trivial (usually) in Sekaiju. If updates are still on the table I personally prefer to err on the side of music not being all over the place volume-wise.

I also don't think you need to worry about critics, classic deathmatch mapping is already a genre that's already massively underrepresented, tenfold moreso for Doom 1.

If you decide to do MIDI fixups, my versions of both Metallica tracks are here:

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Nope. The waveforms don't lie, there's a gigantic discrepancy between the louder tracks and the quieter ones. It's not whether or not the problem exists, it's more about whether or not it's worth fixing. Both of these are fast, energetic tracks but the volume difference is clear:

wavs.png

It's fairly trivial (usually) in Sekaiju. If updates are still on the table I personally prefer to err on the side of music not being all over the place volume-wise.

I also don't think you need to worry about critics, classic deathmatch mapping is already a genre that's already massively underrepresented, tenfold moreso for Doom 1.

If you decide to do MIDI fixups, my versions of both Metallica tracks are here:

I'll tell you what, since you clearly have a much better ear for this sort of thing than I do, you're welcome to take a crack at leveling out the volumes across the different MIDIs. Just DM me your remixed MIDIs when you have them, and I'll put them in a new revision. Is that okay?

Sorry this is taking me longer than probably expected, I only just now saw your response. Within a few days I'll have the wad reposted with volume levels rebalanced!