Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[NOW AVAILABLE] The Ultimate TWANGO - A Deathmatch MegaWAD for The Ultimate Doom

Title: Gamma Base

Author: The_SloVinator

Slot: E1M7

Music: Ascension by Psyrus

Port: Vanilla

Tested with: Chocolate Doom, Zandronum

Editors used: GZDB, Slade3, Doom Writer

New graphics: DWANGO textures & my signature.

Build Time: A bit more than a week for the original map. Then I took less than a week to redo it.

Description: Here it is. My first second multiplayer map that I made for Doom. I'm proud of it and I tested it in multiplayer match with bots on highest difficulty. Seems to be good so far.

A much smaller map with 5 player spawns plus I added a new sky. :) (Forgot where I got the sky texture from since I have it in my folder for years now. It's called 'STAR3'.)

Less corridor interconnection this time as well.

mp_E1M7 - Gamma Base.zip

431174757_ScreenHunter518.png.7f7ae9cba8d73a2c41ab1006fe8a39e3.png

687091757_ScreenHunter519.png.e2e543a6fa0835cd6862235ed8cbea4e.png

1575482239_ScreenHunter520.png.e8afac7d52e55f2b1a13f11e053ef014.png

1833324732_ScreenHunter521.png.735a6a609b590a5b89a7720297cab787.png

9 hours ago, xdude_gamer said:

Give us a second! We have 3 or 4 maps still unfinished for beta testing.

A bit more than that, I think.

On 9/19/2021 at 4:59 PM, xdude_gamer said:

How about these apples?

EXITSIGN cannot tile vertically in vanilla. Only 128 pixel tall textures can properly tile. This includes having any offset that would pass the upper or lower boundary of the texture, i.e. moving STEP1 up 16 pixels will cause tutti frutti

6 hours ago, Mike_C said:

I would like to make a map for this, can I take E4M8?

Yeah, that's fine. I'll move you there. 

5 hours ago, magicsofa said:

EXITSIGN cannot tile vertically in vanilla. Only 128 pixel tall textures can properly tile. This includes having any offset that would pass the upper or lower boundary of the texture, i.e. moving STEP1 up 16 pixels will cause tutti frutti

Huh, I didn't actually know that to be honest. I'll take that into consideration for future vanilla mapping purposes that I may have later, since with the help and guidance of OpenRift I have decided to hang up my boots for mapping, so to speak, and just keep my musical contributions instead.

23 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

I have decided to hang up my boots for mapping, so to speak, and just keep my musical contributions instead.

Aw man, that's a shame.

Hope I get to listen to more of those good MIDIs you made tho.

Just now, TheBlurCafe said:

Aw man, that's a shame.

Hope I get to listen to more of those good MIDIs you made tho.

Me too :)
My mapping is definitely getting better. Maybe I can make some great maps for the TNT Twango project, perish the thought!

Well here's this so far: 

E2M6 - O' DAMN

odamn_prerelease1.png.8d96515d6dab00ca703baa280e18df05.png

ODAMN.zip

You'll also notice a new wooden version TWANGO texture. :P

View the readme on info about how to get the Soulsphere also.

This isn't a final version of course, but pretty close.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

19 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Well here's this so far: 

E2M6 - O' DAMN

ODAMN.zip

Cheers!

It's pretty cool, and it has a funny name

3 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Well here's this so far: 

E2M6 - O' DAMN

ODAMN.zip

Cheers!

Oh damn! (lol)

Fantastic mapping as usual, Rocket. Gives off a very Bourgeoise Deathmatch feel in terms of its texture use and use of detail. Also, really digging the custom TWANGO texture.

16 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Bourgeoise Deathmatch feel

Thanks! I was kind of shooting for that actually. :P

I'm updating it a little at the moment. It's getting a little tricky fighting the PLN max in a couple spots, but still staying at or just under 100.

~ expect a small update soon.

ps. you might notice the super secret teleport switch just behind the Soulsphere.. it opens a wall to another teleport which gives the player an alternate route back to the small tech area.. first time I've tried doing something like that in a DM level.. wondering if I should keep it, and if I do I should at least put something in there, maybe.. ~ single player currently has imps in the red room teleport area.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Sorry if it seems I've been inactive on E4M6, I haven't been posting any updates. It's coming along, but still very much subject to change.

doom19.png

doom20.png

11 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Sorry if it seems I've been inactive on E4M6, I haven't been posting any updates. It's coming along, but still very much subject to change.

doom19.png

doom20.png

Oh wow, that's pretty cool!

19 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Oh wow, that's pretty cool!

Thanks, I think I really like the E4 theme. The wood and orange sky are just gorgeous. I'm done with the layout, but texturing, details, item placement, and overall final touches need to be done. I am going on a week - long trip tomorrow though, and won't be able to edit maps. So you'll have to wait a little bit :D

1 hour ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I just wanted to see what people think of the map.

Looks pretty cool so far.

Probably should get rid of those little green pillars, or stick'em in the walls.. also maybe have a continuous route going all the way around the map, almost how it already is. Just so you won't always have to go through the lava, but still have the option.

Also since there's a central lava area, maybe think about having one large platform in the very center of it so at least some action will happen there. Make it large enough so some battles could be fought there without thinking about taking the dip of death, heh. It could turn out to be a good place for the BFG. Generally players won't like the idea of having damage areas in a DM map, but it doesn't bother me too much. As long as you know it's there, you just have to stay away from it. If there's issues with this, you can keep the lava but remove its damage, since players would much rather be killed by another player than a sector. Then there's the scenario where in heat of a battle and you only have 2% health and running to that health pack, but then your big toe manages to touch the lava pool on the way, it won't go over to well in terms of replay value heh.

So again, at least having another route to take aside from the lava path, would probably be a good idea. ;)  

Edited by Mr.Rocket

6 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

... I really like the E4 theme. The wood and orange sky are just gorgeous.

I agree, it just all sort of has a natural beauty to it.

10 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Looks pretty cool so far.

Probably should get rid of those little green pillars, or stick'em in the walls.. also maybe have a continuous route going all the way around the map, almost how it already is. Just so you won't always have to go through the lava, but still have the option.

Also since there's a central lava area, maybe think about having one large platform in the very center of it so at least some action will happen there. Make it large enough so some battles could be fought there without thinking about taking the dip of death, heh. It could turn out to be a good place for the BFG. Generally players won't like the idea of having damage areas in a DM map, but it doesn't bother me too much. As long as you know it's there, you just have to stay away from it. If there's issues with this, you can keep the lava but remove its damage, since players would much rather be killed by another player than a sector. Then there's the scenario where in heat of a battle and you only have 2% health and running to that health pack, but then your big toe manages to touch the lava pool on the way, it won't go over to well in terms of replay value heh.

So again, at least having another route to take aside from the lava path, would probably be a good idea. ;)  

I was actually planning to have the BFG on a pillar in the middle of the lava. And you make a good point, probably should add less lava and more rock. Although, I like damaging floors in DM adds a lot of pressure imo. No big deal though, I have a few changes I want to make.

4 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I was actually planning to have the BFG on a pillar in the middle of the lava. And you make a good point, probably should add less lava and more rock. Although, I like damaging floors in DM adds a lot of pressure imo. No big deal though, I have a few changes I want to make.

Sounds good, and I understand the level is young and under development, though secondary route making a complete circle around the map also I think would would help a lot in terms of flow.

Looks good, Cheers!

53 minutes ago, Redead-ITA said:

Oh hey i didn't notice you guys were doing one for Ultimate doom, i'd be interesting in joining in!

Coolio, any slots you're interested in?

23 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Coolio, any slots you're interested in?

E2M2, current map i just cooked up for it is basic, but i think i can make it work, just need to add an exit and that's all.

image.png.c07b18880e7d6bd31554d8c160df4b9c.png

13 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Here's a rough beta of E4M6. THIS IS NOT THE FINAL VERSION. Just to be clear. But since I'll be gone, I just wanted to see what people think of the map.

TWANGOE4M6.zip

Did run into a visplane overflow, so you'll need to work on that when you get back, also be sure to put at least 4 deathmatch spawns, as right now there aren't any.

6 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Did run into a visplane overflow, so you'll need to work on that when you get back, also be sure to put at least 4 deathmatch spawns, as right now there aren't any.

Hence the work in progress status :)

Also what's the best way to fix a violate overflow?

34 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Hence the work in progress status :)

Also what's the best way to fix a violate overflow?

Reduce the number of visible planes, usually by simplifying geometry and maybe reducing redundant sectors.

Here is my WIP entry, it currently has 6 deathmatch players, Need to add ammo and health pickups.

outside of that it has an Exit, as for a name, would be "Messy and diagonal" or "ups and downs" but it feels like that name has already been used.

twangoe2m2.zip