Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmslr

DBP39: Carnage Oasis

I liked the atmosphere: dilapidated tech bases in the desert.

Edited by Lobo

Thanks for posting this up here @dmslr! Nice to see so many new faces in the credits, as well as a couple of returning ones. Pretty cool theme this time around and some cool maps inside.

SWEET. Cant wait to try this. Most of the DBPs of the past have been really good.

I'm up to MAP10 and it's been rad (I didn't provide a map this time so no bias). MAPs03-05 are my favourites so far. Get on it!

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

I liked the atmosphere: dilapidated tech bases in the desert.

same here. A;Z wasn't my cup of tea at all, but this hooked me instantly.

Ah, my favourite impossibly prolific short mapset crew are back!

I've only worked through about 3 or 4 of you guys projects so far, but they've all been very high quality indeed. Will definitely be giving this one a spin tonight.

This mapset was pretty fun! I enjoy the desert techbases and the texture pack used, they remind me of games I used to play as a child in the early 00s (like starwars shadow of the empire). The maps seem to be inspired on classic mapsets much like the ones DBP38, and this one also does pretty well in feeling like an oldschool wad with better map design.

Spoiler

My favorite map has to be map10 which felt like a sf2012 homage and it had really good fights. The bfg secret is pretty evil but I like it. Most secrets felt well hidden but fair.

My least favorite has to be map11. I don't know exactly what it is, it's really odd and confusing, and the mapmaker knows because he puts like 5 arrows telling you were to go. It feels as if the map was designed to be a 700 monster slaughterfest in a gigantic arena serious sam style, because it just has 196 enemies it gives you waaaaaaay too much ammo for what you are dealing with.

Some bugs I found (dsda-doom 0.19.7 cl2):

• On map04, the red door that leads to the B button can be opened by enemies, allowing to sequence break the map.
  • On map07, there is a spot that can block your shots (don't know if there are any others like that in this map). Attached picture reproducing the bug.
  • On map09, the secret soulsphere can be grabbed through the wall.
  • On map10, there seems to be a mancubus stuck in one of the spawners (from what I've seen, he should spawn with some pinkies around the final area).

image.png.c23030003f669faf18e18a69a5ac35f7.png

I really can't wait for DBP40 to drop, this series is freaking amazing!

There are so many DBPs that my Doom Launcher has a dedicated DBP tab now. I fear for how long it will take to play through them all fully, but I skipped through them all briefly and they are all dripping with creativity. Why cant Doomworld and other Doom communities also do something similar each month? :p

59 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Why cant Doomworld and other Doom communities also do something similar each month? :p

Doomworld and other Doom communities have been home to quite a few speedmapping and semi-speedmapping projects over the years with varying time frames, frequencies, and lifespans, including ASS, PUSS, WMC, Mayhem, and one-offs like Isolation and Hellevator/Skulltiverse, as well as the new DBKs (which seem to be ZDoom Forums-based). It's been a pretty thriving niche for quite some time.

4 hours ago, Devalaous said:

Why cant Doomworld and other Doom communities also do something similar each month? :p

Why reinvent the wheel? If you want to join a month-long limit-removing project, just join a DBP. No obligation to join every month - just pick one where you like the theme and have time that month.

Or, if you want to do something different - start your own! Like with Hellevator and Skulltiverse, it only takes one person to get the ball rolling.

Played the first 9 maps. Good stuff as usual! The desert techbase theme is solid, and the detailing is great. I liked the lack of monsters in map 1, made it more interesting I thought. Some decent challenge in here too. My only complaint is that map 4 uses the most annoying Linkin Park MIDI I've ever heard, which is very disappointing. 

Played 15 minutes so far, as brilliant as expected. These guys are so consistent in delivering pure treasures. Is there gonna be an idgames link soon?

1 hour ago, game said:

Is there gonna be an idgames link soon?

I don't know if they are interested in uploading it to idgames.

Tested By               : 40oz, Ivan Dobrovski, matador, Komori, SilverMiner, VanDaemon, Xeep-Eep, archi

I wonder if anyone tested map07 though.

One can fall into the mancubus pit, sector 535, because one can approach it via the two lifts path without triggering the raise and the manco happily ports out.

xixQkSv.png

One can also trivially jump across into the decorative outskirts, browsing the untreated edge of the map. Furthermore, it is possible to get stuck there entirely because of wedging oneself into a narrowing pathway.

d8bRtar.png

No one won't do testing better than you, @dew. Thanks for feedback I guess.

Will we see more of your posts on other projects?

Episode 1 of my Slaythrough is live! Maps 1-3. Follow my channel to watch the other episodes in the next coming days!

On 9/6/2021 at 4:27 PM, dew said:

One can fall into the mancubus pit, sector 535, because one can approach it via the two lifts path without triggering the raise and the manco happily ports out.

Same thing happened to me and landed me my first death in the wad.

Part 3 with maps 6 and 7. 6 is small but pretty intense with lots of hitscanners, while 7 is a vast courtyard and tons of heavier enemies, including two cyberdemons.

UV/Blind/Pistolstart

Part 5 with map 10: Sirian Ancestors, my favorite of the entire WAD. Excellent level design, gameplay, and detailing. 

Part 6, with map 11. An ambitious and impressive looking map, which unfortunately doesn't run too well on GZDoom.