Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vedan

How to make parts of a texture glow?

Question

Is there an easy way to make parts of a texture glowing?

I do know that some textures in doom glow by themselves, is this achieved through brightmapping?

The easy way out for me would be changing textures...

Example textures:

dec115.png    dec115b.png

dec166.png    dec166b.png

9 answers to this question

On 9/4/2021 at 9:17 AM, vedan said:

For GZDoom one can make brightmap textures, which, of course, is not possible in the orignal doom format.

However, if the written part of the texture is transparent, then you can create a shallow sector behind the texture and through some trickery increase the brightness of that sector, making it appear that the text is glowing. Although done in DiHF, doomraider.wad did exactly that to great effect.

Spoiler

ToHSmki.png

1 hour ago, DOOM mapping enthusiast said:

For GZDoom one can make brightmap textures, which, of course, is not possible in the orignal doom format. 

Likely misnomer aside (gzdoom brightmaps don't give a flying fuck about the underlying map format), that's actually not true, it's possible even in vanilla doom, as Strife demonstrates. It used sections of the colourmap to show a couple of specific colours at full brightness.

Edited by Edward850

I think brightmapping is the way to go for the best results. You can also just raise the brightness of the texture, without raising it for the whole sector, that might works with some textures. Otherwise the brighter the color, the more it'll 'glow'. 

30 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Likely misnomer aside (gzdoom brightmaps don't give a flying fuck about the underlying msp format), that's actually not true, it's possible even in vanilla doom, as Strife demonstrates. It used sections of the colourmap to show a couple of specific colours at full brightness.

Since you are such a knowing person, it would be nice if you could upload an example pwad instead of using profanity to make a point.

I'm sure @vedan would be happy to see a working example.

SoftFX.wad introduces brightmaps to vanilla, but for a glowing section of texture, a shallow sector behind the wall is both easier and more effective.

I'm not sure but I believe that creating another texture related to this one in black and white (white is the part you want it to glow) and also creating a GLDEFS file is possible where specifying what color will glow, intensity etc. It is possible to make glowing textures as well as monster sprites for example.

Note that this monster has a version of it where it just highlights the eyes.
Capturar1.JPG.eb1920e2006fab3384453273d00f3ae0.JPG      Capturar.JPG.2eddd25baef73d5a1eba0aa110f8d82e.JPG

And both sprites are being referenced in the GLDEFS document.
Capturara.JPG.8e47ca4b07acc61c8b51197495e3e3d5.JPG Capturaraa.JPG.ec88aba6c9053eaa9f520d90c2397595.JPG

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

8 hours ago, DOOM mapping enthusiast said:

However, if the written part of the texture is transparent, then you can create a shallow sector behind the texture and through some trickery increase the brightness of that sector, making it appear that the text is glowing. Although done in DiHF, doomraider.wad did exactly that to great effect.

Hide contents

ToHSmki.png

Beautiful! 😲

On samedi 4 septembre 2021 at 6:17 PM, vedan said:

I do know that some textures in doom glow by themselves, is this achieved through brightmapping?

The easy way out for me would be changing textures...

Example textures:

dec115.png    dec115b.png

dec166.png    dec166b.png

What do you mean exactly by glowing? From your example textures I get the idea what you want is actually to have an animated texture where it alternates between the dark and the bright variants...

9 hours ago, DOOM mapping enthusiast said:

Since you are such a knowing person, it would be nice if you could upload an example pwad instead of using profanity to make a point.

I'm sure @vedan would be happy to see a working example.

I mean I did say Strife which would have served as a far better example itself, but sure I can make a dirty example.
dirty-vanilla-brightmap.7z