Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nash

I Made A Quake Clone In 10 Days

Impresive work, pal!

As always, you set the bar higher and higher for this community!

Since this were your first maps ever, how do you feel about them?
how was the experience of making maps?

I ask this, because, as simple as it may be, it works, and thats great!
And i just wonder what you will be able to do with a few more days, you could pull something really good!

23 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Impresive work, pal!

As always, you set the bar higher and higher for this community!

Since this were your first maps ever, how do you feel about them?
how was the experience of making maps?

I ask this, because, as simple as it may be, it works, and thats great!
And i just wonder what you will be able to do with a few more days, you could pull something really good!

Thank you! It feels very satisfying actually. I can see why there's a lot of people who dedicate their entire lifetime into the art of mapping. It does make me wish I could learn how to make better maps, just to so that I can feel the satisfaction of building a cool-looking space to play in! I think I should make about 10 more textures if I ever want to improve the map...

Damn, that's really impressive for 10 days! On another note, I felt like your voice was a bit shouty in the video. Probably all that work you put into this project :p

18 minutes ago, Nash said:

Thank you! It feels very satisfying actually. I can see why there's a lot of people who dedicate their entire lifetime into the art of mapping. It does make me wish I could learn how to make better maps, just to so that I can feel the satisfaction of building a cool-looking space to play in! I think I should make about 10 more textures if I ever want to improve the map...

Sounds like you really emjoyed it!

:)

It blows my minds just thinking what you could do without a time limit hahaha xD

Gotdang, for 10 days this is extremely good -- there's already a lot of polish in the general "gamefeel" of things (movement, audio, fx, etc.), which goes a long way. Mad props to all logged-in trolls, yo!

Damn,for a 10 days project it is really impresive.Hope it will become a full game in a near future.Congrats Nash!

Just played it in 320x200 mode. It was really cool.

Too bad it crashes in the SoftPoly renderer.

I was also originally going to run it on LZDoom, but it doesn't work there either, so no Carmack-style renderer models sadly. :(

The levels were cool, though. I didn't really like how it ended. It felt like you threw some enemies in a lowering floor and called it a day. Also, I really didn't like having to shoot those enemies that throw yellow projectiles (no idea what they're called) with the regular shotgun. They have too much health for that to be anything but tedious.

I really like the models, and the style of the whole game. It's awesome that you were able to get something Quake-like in a source port of the very game that came before it, considering how different even the UDMF map format is from Quake's. It really shows how advanced GZDoom has gotten over the years. I do think the palette is a little bland. Quake itself already had too many browns as-is. Here, it's mostly just reddish-browns and blues. I get that Quake 1 used a 256-colour palette, but even Doom 1 didn't have as much brown as Quake ended up having, and since this game was made for GZDoom's hardware renderer, which is truecolour, I think some more variance of colour would have been nice.

I get that this game was made in 10 days, so I can understand the lack of difficulty settings and the weird enemy placement. It really is hard to make a game in 10 days, so I'm glad you chose the Doom engine instead of making one from scratch. It really does help you focus on making the assets.

Also, the player character looks a lot like the Action Gamemaster from Cheetahmen on the NES.

Nash is one of the few people on the list that I think could genuinely bang out a great FPS in just 10 days

Thank you everyone! Lots of improvements need to be done if this were to be a serious project. But I suppose that's for another time in the future... :D

That is a pretty epic achivement! You must have been working night and day non-stop.

Hi, just wanted to drop a quick note because I've got some inquiries about it.

Despite it being a 10-day game jam and me putting it out here, saying "there are no immediate plans to develop this more fully at this time", this does NOT mean that ElderJam's resources and code are free for the taking.

Please, don't just take ElderJam, reskin it and re-release it as your own project, or use it as a base for your own project or whatever. Feel free to learn from it, but I have NOT granted permission for people to just start taking it apart. I have already stated that there is a possibility that I will expand on this project, turning it into a more proper project in future, after my current project (Darkadia) is complete, and I wouldn't appreciate it if someone else just ran off with the files to make their own game from.

tl;dr you may not use ElderJam to base your own games off of. Please respect my wishes.

When all is said and done, I will be granting more permissive usage - I have a history of releasing all kinds of stuff for the community to use, so you know I have intentions to give back to the community, when the time is right.

Meanwhile, if anyone sees ElderJam being used by other projects, I'd appreciate it if those were reported, either to me, or any of the admins. Thank you!

^ Seconded, it's kind of surreal how much these look like quake engine screenies.

Nash, how do you feel that you have been adjusting to map design since working on this project? 

maybe I can learn how to use lightmaps by studying this

12 hours ago, P41R47 said:

damn, those screens are gourgeous!

Thank you!

23 minutes ago, kwc said:

^ Seconded, it's kind of surreal how much these look like quake engine screenies.

Nash, how do you feel that you have been adjusting to map design since working on this project? 

I've still got a lot to learn, in terms of the visual design of the map and gameplay flow - to be honest, I still feel like I don't really know what I'm doing, mapping-wise - but I feel like I've improved a little, when comparing the current map today to the ElderJam demo from before - it's definitely motivational! I don't think I'll ever achieve mapping qualities even remotely close to the greats in this community, as I'm wearing far too many hats as it is... but my hope is to be able to produce some maps that would be considered "passable enough". :)

Oh yeah and uh, I don't think I stated it exactly in this thread - some people might already know what's going on from my Twitter but what's really being shown here is that me and dpJudas are currently in the process of implementing Quake-style baked lightmaps into GZDoom. Yes, this was done 3 years ago in a proof-of-concept branch; I dug out the code from the 3-year-old branch, ported it to the current GZDoom codebase (GZDoom 4.7) and we're continuing where we left off.

Still lots to figure out to make the user-facing experience practical, but this is also why I decided to fully utilize the feature for my Quake clone - currently trying to get a feel for what works and what doesn't, from an editing perspective.

ja8DNmB.png
l1AIXtw.png
QuPpMP2.png
Edw3ZFy.png

Playing around with lightmap colors, custom sun color and direction, and bounce lighting (mostly evident from the outdoor shot - without bounce lighting, the shadows would be very dark and solid)

uBjFv8C.png

Starting to replace the Quake-based meshes with original ones (left - modified Quake player, right - my own model). I'm still keeping the overall look and proportions.

mKSQPtO.png

Remodeled the player and weapons. :) Funny how much more effort this is taking when it's no longer some stupid 10-day game jam... :P

Honestly, if you ever decide to flesh this into a full game Nash, I'd buy it on Steam. 

This really is awesome for something that was mostly done in ten days. The new models actually look substantially better IMO.

O3W5BgR.png

j6lo5Yy.png

majVjEk.png

loftViv.png

kmgeia6.png

Player and weapon remodeling done (for now)! Monsters are next...