Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EGA Matsu Alpha

Quake 1 GBA Demake (via. PrBoom)

Ineresting idea.
Now i remember that obscure Id tech game made for the GBA: Dark Arena.
That one totally needs a source port and maybe a proper fan remake.
It was a damn fine game.

17 minutes ago, EGA Matsu Alpha said:

Yeah as the title says, I'm demaking Quake 1 to the GBA via. PrDoom, and I want some really early feedback.

(Note, I am modifying the engine as well, so it aint a re-skin either, so tough luck running this in any source port)

image.png.a98e23137c1997f676064f1e726699d7.png

image.png.8f397bc075d97314e681c82478d3100e.png

image.png.2d208420a8456182177aec6468faacb9.png

If you're basing this on the Doom engine, will there be jumping and will there be a method to look up and down? Will there be slopes? Will there be 3D floors?

Quake's level design relied on its level format being fully 3D, but Doom uses 2D floor plans for its level format. How will you be able to make the Quake levels recognisable in the Doom format?

3D models, polygons or voxels, for any of the enemies or items would be out of the question, right? If so, how are you going to do the doors? Will they just move up and down, or will you scroll a texture like Dimension of the Boomed did in Boom format?

Will there be true particles like in Quake? Some Doom source ports have true particles, but PrBoom is not one of them.

The GBA only has 4 buttons in addition to Start and Select. Will we be able to have custom key binds instead of having to choose between presets?

Just now, Nikku4211 said:

If you're basing this on the Doom engine, will there be jumping and will there be a method to look up and down? Will there be slopes? Will there be 3D floors?

Quake's level design relied on its level format being fully 3D, but Doom uses 2D floor plans for its level format. How will you be able to make the Quake levels recognisable in the Doom format?

3D models, polygons or voxels, for any of the enemies or items would be out of the question, right? If so, how are you going to do the doors? Will they just move up and down, or will you scroll a texture like Dimension of the Boomed did in Boom format?

Will there be true particles like in Quake? Some Doom source ports have true particles, but PrBoom is not one of them.

The GBA only has 4 buttons in addition to Start and Select. Will we be able to have custom key binds instead of having to choose between presets?

Jumping will replace the map as the map I deem wont be useful here.

There will not be looking up and down.

There might be slopes if i can implement them in a PrDoom based sourceport.

There will most likely not be 3D floors.

Simple, by demaking em.

There will be 2D sprites for entities/"things".

Doors will move up and down unless i can implement a system for them to move left/right.

There might be real particles, i don't want to push the system to hard, this is good enough.

I am NOT sure on control editing as of yet.

8 minutes ago, Nikku4211 said:

i think that the word ''demake'' means make something that resemble the original game, but if it was made on a less powerful engine.
Thus not having all the features as the original. But still being recognizable at first sight.

Just now, P41R47 said:

i think that the word ''demake'' means make something that resemble the original game, but if it was made on a less powerful engine.

then im using it correctly.

10 minutes ago, EGA Matsu Alpha said:

Simple, by demaking em.

How will you be sure the iconic levels will still be recognisable after the demaking process?

11 minutes ago, EGA Matsu Alpha said:

Jumping will replace the map as the map I deem wont be useful here.

Quake also doesn't have a 'use' button, so that can go too.

Gonna follow this, seems like an interesting topic, and if you cant get sideways doors, try using some of the saturn ports door textures

Any update? I'm curious because this seems like a really interesting idea, I would gladly test it when some major progress is done.

You're going to want to build it on top of GZDoom, rather than PrDoom.

If you plan to make a really good mod, have a look at Legacy of Suffering as it's a very impressive build, technically.  Also make sure you unstand Doom's limitations (some of which are fixed/removed/improved in GZDoom)...

45 minutes ago, Redoom said:

Any update? I'm curious because this seems like a really interesting idea, I would gladly test it when some major progress is done.

7 minutes ago, Zilch said:

If you plan to make a really good mod, have a look at Legacy of Suffering as it's a very impressive build, technically.  Also make sure you unstand Doom's limitations (some of which are fixed/removed/improved in GZDoom)...

@Redoom sorry i just made this account lmao, post limit is a thing so-

@Zilch did you really just tell me, to use GZDoom, so I can demake Quake 1 for the GBA?

I'll be watching this one with interest. I don't share some other members' doubts as to whether or not the Quake levels can be demade recognisably in the DOOM engine, I've seen it done.

2 hours ago, Jayextee said:

I'll be watching this one with interest. I don't share some other members' doubts as to whether or not the Quake levels can be demade recognisably in the DOOM engine, I've seen it done.

I Have been working on E1M1, though the outside area is iffy.image.png.523423a5bcb10872199aa89e3a8b34a2.png

image.png.cf023a6fee29ec93100246b4565054e3.png

21 hours ago, Zilch said:

There is no version of GZDoom (or even ZDoom, for that matter) that is ported to GBA. The extra features ZDoom requires would just make the GBA chug on top of the Doom engine, and there'd be no hardware renderer since the GBA lacks 3D hardware.

Seems like I may be a major contributor to this project, I can't wait to get the ball rolling.

13 hours ago, EGA Matsu Alpha said:

The music is slow

Do note that you can make updates to one and the same post. To use this: After posting, click on Edit.

For major developments (like a release) people use separate posts for that :)

Good luck on the project.