1 minute ago, Nikku4211 said:

Doom has lore? 

Yes it has

and it's not like how it was back in the 90s

Just now, Teo Slayer said:

Yes it has

and it's not like how it was back in the 90s

Oh you're talking about Doom 3 and up.

Then yeah, know nothing about it. I thought this was for all Dooms.

2 minutes ago, KubaloBlackMT said:

And we let them do this, mind you. Because we gave them the engaging personality that to them says: "lets add everything that's fun and cool that we could possibly think of into Doom Eternal". You got He-Man, Warhammer 40K, Robocop, Terminator (Basically 80's incarnate pretty much), Guns n Swords, Ancient warriors that have sci-fi stuff, Big man with goofy costume, villain priests with saturday morning cartoon villain voices, action figure collectibles, cheat codes that are physical in-game because STUFF, Physical in-game music albums because STUFF, oh oh and the Doomslayer has a mancave room with guitars and comic books and guns and swords and 3d printed robots and Hugo Martin pizza and has the biggest gaming setup and a personal demon slaughtering martial arts training room like What in the absolute mother, father, sister, brother, and pet of a Fuck!

That's the reason why I prefer Classic DOOM more than the Modern one

The original Doom has no lore to speak of. It's just "scary monsters from hell" invade with basically no context given to anything else. So don't call anything associated with it 'lore.'

Doom 2016's was....okay-ish, but the problem was that some things were probably left best unexplained. I liked the concept of Argent Energy, because it tied into the reasons why the gameplay turned far more arcade-y, but the marine-cum-Warhammer marine protagonist was terrible. Hey, we know nothing about Samuel Hayden granted, but smashing the console instead of making some effort to go with him for the time being. Apparently, Doom: Eternal completely jumped the shark in a thousand ways, such as with the identity of the main villain. Total cringe and I will not spend any more time with that.

And all this time I thought Lore was Data's brother.

Doom 1 and 2 had the perfect backstory to give the games that extra oomph, and reading the first two novels was a fun take on it, albeit trashy and not particularly well written. I know the books are bad, and I like them anyway.

Doom 3 had its moments and was mostly generic horror/sci-fi camp (Betruger reminds me of the witch from Troll 2), and even though they brought in an actual writer and focused heavily on the narrative, it was surprisingly simple and never tried to over explain anything in order to keep the main themes mysterious. You could skip through everything except that spot where Betruger's on the monitors talking about calling in backup, and even that is fairly short and to the point.

2016 came along and essentially retold a convoluted version of Doom 3 but if Doomguy was Jesus, and with this wink and nudge that they know we don't care about it, which is somehow worse than just telling their damn story. For a game that knows I don't want to hear their exposition, they sure liked to trap me in place while prattling on and on about things they know I don't care about. Felt like a bait and switch from the way they marketed the game.

Eternal makes me think they're trying to write a new bible. It's so convoluted and over the top, and still infused with that wink and nudge mentality. Doom Eternal is partly why I almost cringe at words like "lore" and "canon". It's "TMI" the game. I can't comment too much about it because after ten minutes of playing I turned the dialogue volume to 0 and finished the game without their help.

Admittedly not the best at following story and lose interest too easily but doom eternal was just a mess, why all the fantasy shit? Is it even the same person from the first doom he seems not human anymore with superpowers. Don’t think even made it past first few lines of the bits we were expected to read 

I like the lore in concept, but not in execution. Much like the rest of the many irritants in Doom Eternal, I wish there was a slightly more sane voice in the company going "Mmhmm, OK, yeah, not bad but let's just dial in back a bit."

1990 plot: Oh no! Monsters.

2021 plot: [...] Samark'iddle'd the Un-Angel gazed banefully upon the grinning Stunnarg of Drjlz'blyuan. "No, father! I will not let you enjoin the ruby of Ammad!" he banefully screamed. Centuries of hyperwar had led up to this moment, touching upon the boundaries of Woad-Earth where bivouac'ed the fallen sovereignty of Lower Upper Heaven; yea even unto the territories of Schiwan'asd'dsgl and Pfdsklgfjg;f, whence arose the Blu'ddud''durr'dud. From his nega-perch on the Gl'fogms'dsfds, J. Stalvern the Protagonist of award-winning first-person shooter Doom (1993) sighed and readied his rocket launcher, banefully. "Looks like I'm gonna have to shoot some ultrademons. Time to rock. Who's your daddy? Anyone else remember Spawn by Todd MacFarlane?" He did a triple jump. Then a dubstep remix of a Slipknot song started looping and it was super badass. Continue reading for only $8.99 from your UAC Account

1 hour ago, slugger said:

1990 plot: Oh no! Monsters.

2021 plot: [...] Samark'iddle'd the Un-Angel gazed banefully upon the grinning Stunnarg of Drjlz'blyuan. "No, father! I will not let you enjoin the ruby of Ammad!" he banefully screamed. Centuries of hyperwar had led up to this moment, touching upon the boundaries of Woad-Earth where bivouac'ed the fallen sovereignty of Lower Upper Heaven; yea even unto the territories of Schiwan'asd'dsgl and Pfdsklgfjg;f, whence arose the Blu'ddud''durr'dud. From his nega-perch on the Gl'fogms'dsfds, J. Stalvern the Protagonist of award-winning first-person shooter Doom (1993) sighed and readied his rocket launcher, banefully. "Looks like I'm gonna have to shoot some ultrademons. Time to rock. Who's your daddy? Anyone else remember Spawn by Todd MacFarlane?" He did a triple jump. Then a dubstep remix of a Slipknot song started looping and it was super badass. Continue reading for only $8.99 from your UAC Account

LOL

I think I'll be fine with the 1990 version, thanks. 

It's open to a lot of interpretation due to how little (just story screens) of it there is, but it serves its purpose.

Doom 3 was OK but in my canon, it starts before Doom 1 and then runs concurrently with it, which makes it much more enjoyable to me. Just fits very well as the actual start of the events.

2016 was whatever and what little I've seen from Eternal was difficult to watch.

Some notes:

I consider Hell just another dimension that UAC accidentally tapped into due to dangerous teleportation experiments as per Doom 3.

While the Marine goes through the events of Doom 3 on Mars, Doomguy is wreaking havoc on its moons.

Edited by idbeholdME

2 hours ago, Sena said:

Only lore I care about is rocket loreunchers

Did you mean Rawket Lawnchairs?

Screenshot_Doom_20210906_181340.png

1 hour ago, J.Argon said:

Gumshoe would never do that!

He did. And he did it to not just the Sailor Moons but to the Reimus and Pikachu's too.

EDIT: Attached proof of my statement:

Spoiler

Edited by Zulk RS

Classic Doom has almost zero story apart from what you see in the manuals and text screens, but the latter is really just your progress being reported, and only the first game's manual had a tiny storyline that you'd be forgiven to miss. It's all just "Dude fucking hates demons" and that's it.

Doom 3's lore is kinda dull and generic, but it did its job fine. It did honestly feel like some Alien knockoff which did make the game feel like it didn't have much of an identity. I know little about the depths of it anyway so no further comments.

Now for a hot take; I do like modern Doom lore, in a way. I kinda take it as a satire of shitbag sci-fi and fantasy lore. It's cheesy as hell and ridiculously stupid, but it adds to the fun of it imo. I am able to get into it a lot more than say Mortal Kombat's current lore, which can't even keep a background character's death consistent within one game. By contrast Doom is still a clusterfuck to process all of it, but it's still easier to follow, and when you boil it all down to the barest essentials, it still amounts to just a way more descriptive version of "Dude fucking hates demons".

I do like how Doomguy himself doesn't want to deal with the lore either. Like in 2016 he just tells Hayden to fuck off twice and literally just spends the rest of the reboot games killing demons, or doing something that would aid him in doing the aforementioned. He's basically just the player; largely disassociated with the story because he just wants to shoot the damn gun.

Edited by Gemidori

2 minutes ago, Gemidori said:

Classic Doom has almost zero story apart from what you see in the manuals and text screens, but really it all just boils down to "Dude fucking hates demons".

It's more the reverse, "demons fucking hate your dude" -- most of the levels are completable in pacifist mode after all...

In Classic Doom, you're just a lone survivor who've got to deal with the mess. It's in NuDoom that they made all this mythos about the Doom Slayer's eternal crusade against demons. And they put in arenas so that you can't exit a room before killing 100% of the demons in it, then you get to the next room and there's a new lockdown and you again have to kill all demons to open the next door, repeat ad nauseam. Only way to skip the fights is to cheese the game by using glitches to clip out of geometry. Classic Doom, though? The only times you're actually meant to kill demons to finish the level are the boss fights on each of the four ExM8, as well as E4M6, MAP07, and MAP30. Everywhere else, you can just opt to run and dodge until you reach the exit, instead of fighting for real.

9 minutes ago, Gez said:

And they put in arenas so that you can't exit a room before killing 100% of the demons in it, then you get to the next room and there's a new lockdown and you again have to kill all demons to open the next door, repeat ad nauseam. Only way to skip the fights is to cheese the game by using glitches to clip out of geometry. Classic Doom, though? The only times you're actually meant to kill demons to finish the level are the boss fights on each of the four ExM8, as well as E4M6, MAP07, and MAP30. Everywhere else, you can just opt to run and dodge until you reach the exit, instead of fighting for real. 

But this is what everybody loves from Doom, demon massacre.

3 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

Did you mean Rawket Lawnchairs?

Screenshot_Doom_20210906_181340.png

Imagine hating Sailor Moon so much that you get a rocket launcher just to shoot into her face

Just now, Teo Slayer said:

Imagine hating Sailor Moon so much that you get a rocket launcher just to shoot into her face

It's a Rawket Lawnchair. Completely different!

3 minutes ago, Zulk RS said:

It's a Rawket Lawnchair. Completely different!

Oh ok, I bet you launch chairs instead. Also, good luck using them against Yukari lmao

9 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

Oh ok, I bet you launch chairs instead. Also, good luck using them against Yukari lmao

Ah so you've played Doom Hack. I already beat Yukari. I just needed to figure out what I needed to do and then I beat her.

1 minute ago, Zulk RS said:

Ah so you've played Doom Hack. I already beat Yukari. I just needed to figure out what I needed to do and then I beat her.

I haven't played Doom Hack but I have played Touhou 7. Yukari is a nightmare along with Ran. I never completed the extra

In the original Doom games, i like the idea of "Evil Megacorporation unleashes literal Hell on Earth", pretty accurate stuff.

Doom 3 has the cliché villain in the form of betruger which kinda takes the blame away from UAC itself, but the whole intro and hell invasion sequence was flawless, and the world building with all the pda's, characters etc. is amazingly well done.

On the lore of the new games though, i liked Doom 2016 the characters were good and the plot was pretty tight, but Doom Eternal took the lore on some grandiose tangents that are not really my stuff.

I count them as three separate things, i don't like the idea of sewing all the games in a single timeline.