Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quast

critique my wad...

Ok, so, this it basically my first "real" level. I've got tons of unfinished garbage ones. It isn't intended to be too serious, more or less just to see if it works, looks ok and is halfway playable. I just want some constructive criticisim on it. Please note however, that it isn't a final (although the layout probably is) and I am well aware of texture issues in a couple places.

http://www.geocities.com/quast147/zdtest.zip

edit: How the hell do you turn html on?

HTML doesn't work here. Near the bottom of this thread are a few links, including where it says that HTML its off. Click on the 'vB_code' link to see all the commands.

Ok, well, looks like the link is farked and geocities doesn't like me linking files... super

edit: nm, just copy and paste the link into the address bar

Quast said:

Ok, well, looks like the link is farked and geocities doesn't like me linking files... super

Make a dumb html file with just the link.

I've playtested 4 wads in the past 4 weeks. Yours was the only one I bothered to finish.

goods
Monster placement: Nice. Most mappers I've seen lately have problems with this.

bads
Textures: Yeah, lotsa misalignments, and I can't say I like some of those choices.

Yeh, I was hoping someone would tell me some better textures to use. I'll definatly get on fixing the missalingments....and some other aesthetic work for some of the more boring looking areas.

And on the monster placement...well, many of them were kind of randomly placed....except a couple I know I REALLY like where they are.

thnx, any feedback is good feedback

edit: about the missalingments...specificaly on flats, how do you fix this beyond moving sectors?...like, look at the lights in the mancubus room. I'd have to move two sectors over 32 units to fix it. But I don't want to move them....

Quast said:

edit: about the missalingments...specificaly on flats, how do you fix this beyond moving sectors?...like, look at the lights in the mancubus room. I'd have to move two sectors over 32 units to fix it. But I don't want to move them....

well, what editor are you using?

Piece of cake in Deepsea:
Go to vertex mode, by pressing v
set your grid to 64
grab the offending vertex and drag it to the grid. repeat for each.
save.
Done ;)

So, in a way, you can't really align flats...I't still have to move stuff around. That's what I thought. No big deal really, but, I hope it doesn't mess up some designs in the future, like a hallway or something I couldn't move and would want to have "light type" flats down the center. But, i'll have to take that into overall consideration. I did 99% of the editing on this map with size 16 grid...i used 8 once and 32 once for little deals, vertex editing. Is there a recommended grid size or really just personal preferance and situation (for detail)?

Another question. How does one NOT get the door tracks to move with the door? Mine look stupid because they do move...as if it's part of the door. Sector referance?

Ok, so now for a first real shot at map making...and being a beta with maybe 10 hours of work...is the map ok? Do you guys think i may have potential to make levels maybe worth playing through one or twice? too early to say maybe? I guess I ask because, of cource I only have deepsea sharware, and if it's not going to be worth my time to make levels nobody would play, I'm not going to shell out the cash to buy the full version. I have the motivation, ideas and time....and i really enjoy the design process.....yes, even the headaches and swearing when it doesn't do what I want it to.

edit: uhh, not sure how to say this, and it's going to sound stupid, but...somehow I removed the two tool bars on the left side of deepsea, the ones with the line draw tool and prefabs....I've looked in all the menus and I can't seem to find a way to get them to reappear...uh, help

To fix that door problem, select both of those doortrack lines, and add 'Lower Unpegged' to them.