Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2021 - The month-long mapping challenge (see you next year!)

I'm adding everyone to the list of participants in the second post as we go! If I miss anyone, just mention me here or ping me on the Discord.

5 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I actually felt kinda guilty of not able to make anything last year, but welp. I'm down for another route. Have some ideas I've been gravitating towards to. The chances are rather slim, but I'd take what I can get, after all, this is all fun and games :)

At the very least, if I were to be unable to release anything, I'd be glad to try out other projects created during the event!

Hey -- "guilty" is a disallowed emotion during NaNo. I should add that to the official rules.

I enjoyed this in 2018 and 2020 even if those attempts were not wholly productive for me, but I don't know if I'll be inspired, motivated, or in a position to commit to this again this year; I guess I'll see if any particular WAD/mapset ideas are appealing to me around the end of this month and how my already-established commitment to the Maximum Project is shaping up at that point too.

So, can the goal be "finish a project I started earlier"? I suppose only the maps that were made in the October would be posted here then? I have a E1 replacement on the backburner with 2-3 maps finished, so I'd like to finish that as a goal, maybe with custom graphics.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:56 PM, Pechudin said:

So, can the goal be "finish a project I started earlier"? I suppose only the maps that were made in the October would be posted here then? I have a E1 replacement on the backburner with 2-3 maps finished, so I'd like to finish that as a goal, maybe with custom graphics.

Sure, of course that can be your goal!

I'm still figuring out how to use the Eureka editor, but I might be able to pinch out at least one map for this event.

In October I'll be very busy and I don't expect to have much time to do Doom mapping, but this month I'm off work and mostly free for a little while. So possibly I will participate...in spirit...by making a few maps this month, and then maybe testing and polishing when I can snatch bits of time in October. Back in 2018, a big part of the reason I was able to get a full megawad done in the month is because I had a bunch of time off work that overlapped it. For 2021, though, September is the month when I'll actually have time I could dedicate to mapping.

Completely understandable @Ryath (aka scwiba) if you don't want to officially consider it a NaNoWadMo submission! But I'd like to feel like I'm participating again in some way and this is how I hope to do it this year. It'll at the very least be a NaNoWadMo submission in my own heart.

I dont think I will be able to participate because I see myself working on a map for the Halloween Quake Map Jam.

I could make a small set of maps if I have the time.

At this pace, I'll use the NaNoWADMo month for working or completing all my 2/3 WIP maps, if i have time I'll do something original idk

Just a question, are we able to start making maps before October 1, or are we allowed as soon as we're signed up?

Thanks!

I'm gonna' be continuing work on Doom Hockey this year, and i should hopefully have it done early enough to be able to get some playtesting in too! Here's where I left off after last year's NaNoWADMo.

4 hours ago, Paf said:

Just a question, are we able to start making maps before October 1, or are we allowed as soon as we're signed up?

Thanks!

NaNoWADMo is only from October 1-31, but you set your own goals. So if you feel inspired now and want to get some mapping done, your goal in October could always just be to finish whatever you started in September.

I'm new to mapping and have yet to release anything. This seems like a good push to get something done, so I'd like to join.

I'm aiming for 4 map set, probably (limit removing) vanilla.